“Nice hotel, good breakfast”

The Chase Park Plaza Royal Sonesta St. Louis
Ranked #35 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed here for a wedding - my husband and family spent more time here than I did, since I was MoH for the wedding. He really enjoyed the gym (18,000 sq ft!) while we were there. We had the buffet breakfast at Eau Bistro on Sunday morning and the desserts were hand down the best part - they employ a world-renown pastry chef who takes great pride in his work, and you can really tell. I wasn't a fan of the selection, but I'm more of an eggs benedict girl :)

The room was comfy and spacious. I heard a little noise on Saturday night, but there were 3 weddings going on, so I'm sure it was some of the guests and it didn't last long. The hotel is really big, and I probably would have gotten lost if my husband didn't know his way around. The bathroom was also pretty big and the shower/bath was delightful. We were there for the hottest weekend on record, so the AC was working overtime and did a great job of cooling us down.

My one complaint is paying for wi-fi... In this day and age, I find it a little silly when you pay good money for a hotel to have to pay for wi-fi.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FMRSS1009
Andy E, Director of Sales at The Chase Park Plaza Royal Sonesta St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2012

Thank you so much for posting the terrific review about the Chase Park Plaza. I'm so happy that you enjoyed your time at the hotel and I do apologize for any inconvence that you experienced with the noise coming from the various events throughout the property. It sounds like your husband enjoyed Sante Fitness, which is unlike most hotel gym facilities. We are very proud of the gym and the fact that it is complimentary to all of our guests.

Our breakfast in Eau Bistro is exceptional and the desserts that we provide on our Sunday Brunch are all made in house by Henry, our Executive Pastry Chef and his team.

I appreciate the feedback that you provided about the wifi and I will make sure that we revisit this to see what options we may have.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit.

Andy Ellis, Director of Sales & Marketing

Write a ReviewReviews (1,192)

Reviewed July 9, 2012

A stylish hotel with regal, tall ceilings, very well appointed rooms, good choice of restaurants, and a very helpful staff. All reasonably priced. We stayed at the Chase Park Plaza for a friend's wedding, and enjoyed every bit of it. Clean place. Well maintained. Great bath amenities. Clean, comfortable beds and couches. Spacious work area. Tasteful interiors. Excellent housekeeping. Beautiful and spacious pool area. Very spacious gym in the basement with a wide variety of options - for spinning, treading, running, weights, group classes, and so on - and lots of equipment. A beautiful spa with a full range of services. Executive residences/condos on one side of the hotel, and guestrooms on the other. Four different restaurants and a coffee shop and convenience store. Great neighborhood with a wide choice of restaurants to cater to different tastes and people of all age groups. Swanky nightclubs/cocktail places to tasty Italian, Mexican, and other cuisines close by. Easy to access from the main road (North Kingshighway) and only 4 blocks to US 40/64, which connects you to all of St. Louis and suburbs; and to other interstate highways. Caring and obliging staff. Attentive valet and front desk staff. Overall a great experience!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the inner yard are generally cooler in summer. Ask for room upgrades; sometimes one-b...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ram L
Andy E, Director of Sales at The Chase Park Plaza Royal Sonesta St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Thank you for such a glowing review of the hotel and a fantastic description of all that the Chase has to offer. I will be sure to share your experience with the entire team.

We hope to see you back again soon to enjoy the hotel and the Central West End.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

In the early '80s, my father was the Director of Sales at Chase Park Plaza. We lived here during the summer when the Miss Universe contestants stayed here. That was an interesting time to live in the Chase (it wasn't part condo then, though).
The hotel was resplendant then, and it remains so in glorious little neighborhood its located in: you can walk to all these fantastic little restaurants and bars, but you can just as easily stay in the hotel and be entertained.
The pool area is as lovely as I remember, and the staff here practically dotes on you.
You must try Hack's, which I first visited as a little girl in the '80s and Hack himself served me my first virgin strawberry daiquiri. I'm a little older now so I can go for the real stuff. ;) If you aren't a steak person, you can still find plenty on the menu - there is an excellent shrimp scampi.
The suites provide you everything you need. If you need anything else, you can ask the friendly, attentive staff and they will help you. They are excellent with directions, recommendations, and all of those things.
The Chase is not that far from some of the best attractions in Saint Louis.
Still Saint Louis' crown jewel.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TwoWheelsOnly
Andy E, Director of Sales at The Chase Park Plaza Royal Sonesta St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

I was very excited to read your review and learn about your past experiences at the Chase and the surrounding area, especially in my current position as Director of Sales & Marketing.

I will be sure to pass along the wonderful comments to the Chase team to ensure that we continue to provide our guests with great service and great amenities.

I hope that when you are back in St. Louis you can stay with us again and perhaps we can meet to discuss your time at the Chase.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed at the Chase Park Plaza for a friends wedding. Beautiful hotel. Historic charm yet modern feel. Clean with many various amenities from an in house movie theatre to an excellent outdoor pool and lounge area (which seems to be a local hot spot during the day as the Chase is also condos).

The only downsides and why I rated a 4 versus 5 were the televisions in room and the front desk staff. The TVs were old and the cable wasn't in high def (which was extremely odd to me...). We had a suite and the TV in the bedroom was an old tube TV. The front desk wasn't as courteous as I would have expected.

I would definitely turn and recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite and they just may upgrade you...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Charles H
Andy E, Director of Sales at The Chase Park Plaza Royal Sonesta St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Thank you so much for your review of the Cheark Plaza.

I appreciate all the kind words and the recommendion that you provided.

We do take all the comments we receive very seriously and I will be sure to disucss your concerns with the appropriate team members.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit .

Reviewed July 5, 2012

I have a love of historic hotels. There is something about walking past the threshold into the lobby of a grand hotels that ushers forth a glimpse into a past era. The Chase Park Plaza is no exception and has a feel of Art Deco that is hard to replicate. In this sense it is authentic, the hotel dates from that time period and the marble floors to the metal dials that indicate the level that the elevators are on exhibit it. I felt, to some extent as if I was in a museum. The rooms are spacious and the windows opens. The restaurants are not bad and the movie theater is incredible in the sense that one can drink a martini before the show.

This is the hotel to stay in if you are in St. Louis! The local neighborhood is the central west end which houses an extensive collection of shops and restaurants. Now that said, the hotel also tells its age. The rooms, while nice, feel old. The carpets are worn and the windows encrusted with dirt. It also has the misfortune of being in St. Louis where the weather often is terrible and the attractions often require one to rent a car.

Ok, I won't complain anymore - I would still recommend this hotel to anyone who is in town. Its historic flair and location in the CWE makes it worth more than all the hotels downtown. Unfortunately, St. Louis has seen better days and a sinking tides lowers all ships.

Please check out my travel blog for more information: silandco.blogspot.com

Room Tip: There is a grocery store around the corner called "Straub's"
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

It was so nice to see your wonderful review of the Chase Park Plaza and I am so pleased that you would recommend the hotel to others.

It appears that your stay with us was very enjoyable and you had an opportunity to take advantage of the many services and amenities that we have to offer to our guests. The Central West End is truely a great place to wander and explore with all of it's restaurants, boutiques and nightlife immediately on our doorstep.

I did take a few moments to visit your blog and it appears that your travels have taken you to many outstanding places.

We hope to see you back at the Chase the next time you are in St. Louis.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

My family and I loved, loved, loved this hotel. We and another family vacationed together here in late June 2012 and had the best time. Both families each got a one-bedroom suite and the rooms were very large. Often, I find "suites" to be just a larger room with a bed and a sofa with maybe a half-wall partition. Not here. The living area had a sleeper sofa for the kids and was a completely separate room (with a door) from the bedroom. There was even a huge walk-in closet. Our room was very quiet even though it overlooked the pool.

The hotel has so much going for it. Central location in the city adjacent to Forest Park. Very nice pool. On-site parking garage that is easily accessible. Multiple-screen, first-run movie theater inside the hotel. Spa. Several good restaurants and bars. Just exit through the residents’ entrance on the north side of the hotel and you can wander through an upscale surrounding neighborhood with plenty of excellent dining options within walking distance.

Every staff member we encountered was extremely friendly and helpful. I made three or four requests to the front desk during the stay and each was fulfilled in minutes.

To be completely objective, the furnishings were a little worn in places and the bedroom had an old box TV instead of the large flatscreen that was in the living room. If this bothers you, keep that in mind, but for us, these tiny flaws were insignificant compared to the all the upside.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jl2117
Andy E, Director of Sales at The Chase Park Plaza Royal Sonesta St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Thank you so much for the great review of your recent stay at the Chase Park Plaza.

I am so happy that you enjoyed your family weekend and that the hotel had everythgat you needed to make this a wonderful visit. It appears that you were able to take advantage of all that the hotel has to offer and I hope that you will consider us the next time you are in St. Louis.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

I recently stayed at the Chase Plaza. My room turned out to be a suite. My only complaint was that I couldn't sign on to the internet service. I probably saved a little money that way however. It was very comfortable and I had several evenings of good sleep, something that doesn't happen to me often.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank hhiguy
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Thank you for for taking time to post a wonderful review about the Chase.

I do apologize that you had difficulty using our internet service but hope that this was not too much of an inconvenience. I was however pleased to hear that you had the opportunity to experience one of our wonderful suites and that you had several nights of good sleep while staying with us.

If your travels take you back to St. Louis I hope that you will once again stay at the Chase Park Plaza.