“Grab the money and run!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Louis
Lemp Mansion Restaurant & Inn
Ranked #10 of 26 Saint Louis B&B and Inns
illinois
“Grab the money and run!!”
Reviewed March 28, 2010

We went to have a night away from the kids and just relax.
So we decided to stay at Lemp and have dinner there. Our dinner server was great he did a great job and worked real hard.
I guess he figured he had to to make up for the food. I ordered a Rare Prim Rib dinner at $29.00 1st off over cooked and tasted like it had been sitting around for a while. My wife ordered the schnitzel and it was so salty it was inedible even to me who salts everything. But we let it go and figured to just enjoy ourselves.
I think our biggest complaint was that we felt like we were just dumped off after we paid for our room and let to fend for ourselves.
Such as everything closes down and Staff leaves after 11:00pm is what we were told and we were not allowed in the kitchen or the bar after that time. I assumed we had no way to get drinks or snacks after that so we went to the gas station up the road and got sodas and chips etc. We were not told of the soda machine right upstairs and the snack machine. We also wondered who we called if we had a problem.
For this place to call itself a B&B is a joke you do get a bed but your breakfast is 1 Cinnamon roll (per room) and a very small bag of chips and some little bottles of juice.
We did get two small 8oz bottles of real cheap wine and when we asked for a couple more (considering what we paid and what we got for it I didn't think it was too much to ask) we were told they had none to spare. But we could buy their house wine that tasted like varnish.
The only thing keeping this place going is its legend and folk lore. Because if it didn't have that the service provided to customers would send people running else where.
I guess that's why they do not refund money once you book your room. Because had we know what we was in for we would have went else where.
So save your money and just go in and look around. Trust me you are not missing anything!!
I have owned my own service oriented business for 16 years and offer a 100% refund if my customers are not satisfied. Like most reputable company's do.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank isaacsdarren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
st louis
Reviewed February 16, 2010

we stayed in the Louis and Frederick suites on Valentines Day 2010. the rooms were FREEZING cold, no way could you sleep in those rooms. Plus, what they consider bed and "breakfast", the breakfast is some bags of mini muffins and a few small containers of cranapple juice, a small coffee maker and a few granola bars. They also leave you a few snack bags of Sunchips and platisc bottles of Sutton Home wine.
What a farce.
Plus, at check in, the staff treats you like you dont belong there.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank lulustlouis

Travelers are raving about these Saint Louis hotels

Chicago
Reviewed January 10, 2010

I attended a murder mystery dinner. The dinner started slow w/ the start of the murder mystery. The entertainment was excellent and involved the dinner guests. However, the food quality was poor to average and coffee/tea was difficult to get (as included with the dinner. A service was awful. I was over charged by the cash bar double my bill. The staff was condescending. The mansion is worth seeing, but the museum has little to offer.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank kmskinn
Indiana
Reviewed December 4, 2009

Spent two nights w/ my wife in the Lavender room with us being the only guests in the house! We had an awesome time roaming the mansion and seeing what we could stir up! Excellent staff, and excellent food!! Can't wait to stay at the mansion again!!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
st louis
Reviewed October 30, 2009

Lemp Mansion Sucks. The only think it has going for it is architectural. If you are interested in its haunted history you can go walk through the museum for free but don't spend any money at this place. The staff is rude and condescending. They clearly do not care to have children there.
I arrived on wed. night for the Edgar Allen Poe reading only to be told that the free event was 'sold out'. When I question them as to how that was possible they explained that all the seats were reserved in advance. This program was widely advertised. If reservations were necessary, this fact should have been specified. Many people came, were berated for not having had the sense to made reservations, were told that Lemp did not have control over what was picked up and advertised by the local papers or radio stations and that the website suggested reservations. It takes a lot of nerve tell a bold face lie like that when a framed picture of how Lemp had advertised the event on their website was sitting in plain view at the entry way. There is no mention of reservations. There was not even a suggestion that it was possible to reserve seats.
This was meant to be a fun educational event for the group that I came with included 2 adults, two 9yr olds, an 11 yr old, and a 16yr old college sophomore. These are very well behave, very intelligent, home schooled children who went and looked at the museum and then sat quietly as we waiting to see if seats would materialize. Some did and the hostess/program organizer sat a couple of women, who arrived without reservations after we did, in them. When I questioned her about this she said 'this isn't some sort of a government program'. I haven't the foggiest idea what that meant aside from 'children are not welcome here'.
We give Lemp 12, well educated, interesting, articulate, multi-lingual, sophisticated, not easily offended, opposable thumbs, down.
...and, yes. even the youngest members of our group were offended.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank loren314
usa
Reviewed September 13, 2009

Me and my husband stayed at the Lemp Mansion for my birthday. We had been to the mansion for dinner two other times, but this was the first time we stayed the night. The mansion has a ghost hunting team do ghost hunting tours on Thursday nights, which we did and it was very cool, and if you did the tour, you could rent a room for half price, so thats what we did. This Mansion was on the Travel Channel as one of the most haunted houses in America, which for me added to the scare factor.

The employees are great and it is fun to listen to their stories of the house . The only people who stay the night was me and my husband, and then two sisters who rented a room. It is true that they leave you all alone in the house once the staff leaves. They give you a key to the back door in case you want to leave and come back. A friend of mine from the ghost hunting tour stayed after everyone left and all five of us went through the house again til 1:30am. It was sooo cool.

We stayed in the Elsa Suite which is one of the smaller rooms and on the top floorI Also known as one of the most haunted. The house is Old and the rooms also look old, but that is part of the mansions charm. If you want a private bathroom, you must get a room on the third floor. The second floor rooms (which are double the size) don't have their own bathrooms. You have to share one. There wasn't even anyone staying the night on that floor so it wouldn't have been an issue that night, but if the house would be booked, it would be. I wanted a bathroom in my room cause I know I would have been to scared to leave my room and go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. LOL. The mansion is beautiful and we loved walking around the next morning in the daylight video taping the house At this point, we were still alone.

My only complaints would be, the house sits right next to the highway, and it sounds like it. We were on the third floor, and at times you would have thought our room was on the highway. LOL. Trust me, we didn't sleep much anyways. LOL Also, our TV didn't work. They have satellite, but every channel said you must purchase, even local channels. You are all alone in the house, so its not like you can call down to the front desk. We would have like to watch the TV the next morning while getting ready.
My last complaint, which wasn't a huge deal, but we just assumed we would get breakfast the next morning, (bacon, eggs, hash browns) but the breakfast is actually left in you room the night before, and its breakfast bars, chips, bear claws, small juice bottles, and items like that. They even leave you small bottles of wine. To the mansions credit, they do give you many choices, theres no way for even two people to eat even half of it. They also give you a very nice Lemp Mansion bag to put it all in and take home. Our table was full of food and drinks for breakfast. Just don't expect a restaurant breakfast.

We never did see anything, but the house is creepy and that just adds to the experience.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
St. Louis, Missouri
Reviewed September 8, 2009

I have stayed here many times, it is a wonderful bed and breakfast., and normally we get a group together and rent out all of the rooms in the mansion. Which is neat since all the employees leave you there over night alone! We stayed in the Elsa Suite, which is a small room (still bigger than mine at home) that is located on the third floor in what used to be the servants quarters. It is also said to be the most haunted room... On this occasion we did not have any "supernatural" events, but I have heard strange noises and lights on previous stays. It was still fun to walk around late at night through the halls and rooms where the Lemps once walked, lived, and died...

One should not expect to find a five star hotel with all the bells and whistles. This is where you go to stay in a part of history, to see how it might of been. The mansion is in need of some attention; but that is a part of the charm. (But some of the carpets are in need of an update ASAP). It is close to the highway, but I have never had any issues with the noise. The staff there is so helpful and friendly! Most of them have been there since I can remember. They are great to chat with and have lots of good stories about their own experiences as well as the history of the mansion.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends