“Very spooky place!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Louis
Lemp Mansion Restaurant & Inn
Ranked #8 of 26 Saint Louis B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 21, 2012

You just get a strange sense sitting in that place. I have not stayed overnight but a few friends did and didn't make it thru the whole night. There was a coupon in the Entertainment book we used for lunch. It was just o.k, nothing special but the atmosphere is what makes the place.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank joyh82

Reviewed February 19, 2012

My husband, Scott and I had the pleasure of staying at the Lemp Mansion on January 26 & 27, 2012 for my birthday.
Our first night in the William suite was exciting as we were anticipating all the spooky things to come. We wandered the Mansion with a tape recorder and flashlight until late at night and recorded a few odd things. We were walking around the atrium room/garden room asking questions. "Did you like this room?" We got the distinct answer "Nope". On two occasions we caught what sounded like a baby crying. My sceptic husband says it could have been a cat crying, I HOPE it was! At about 3:00 am, it was time to retire - after all the excitement. During a 7:00 am long walk down the dark hallway to the restroom, my husband suddenly smelled the strong aroma of cigar smoke, but only in a 4' x 4' area near the bathroom door. He stopped, looked around, saw nothing and continued to the restroom. On his return down the hall he smelled nothing. Odd!
The second night was much more eventful. The guests for the evening included my husband, myself and 4 other guests. Two of the girls were staying on the third floor, (the spooky floor) and two of them were staying on the same floor as us, in the Charles suite. The four girls had invited a couple of professional ghost hunters in with all of their equipment to aid in their investigation. The six girls wandered the Mansion while Scott and I stayed out of their way in the the bar. We were entertained by listening to the spooky stories the bartenders had to tell. The girls had gone through most of the Mansion without much luck and were setting up their equipment in the front room (the front office) so I decided to join them. My skeptic husband had gone up to the room. They were using one of the small flashlights with a twist on/off switch to communicate with whoever was in the room with us. It didn't take long to get a response. The flashlight was going on and off without anyone touching it! Not just on and off but it would flicker and turn an odd orange color or turn on very bright. This went on for about 20 minutes. After asking a series of yes or no questions and getting a lot of responses, they found out the the "ghost" was a male cook for the previous owners. My husband decided to come back down and join the girls. He came into the room and sat down. The girls asked if it was okay for this male to join them and the light came on very bright! We all assumed that ment NO. He stayed for a few minutes anyway and all of a sudden got a very bad headache (He never gets headaches!). So he left the room and went back upstairs and sat on the bed for a few minutes and the headache went away! Very Strange!
Needless to say the girls were all very scared after all of that. About 12:00 am the ghost hunters left. We were all huddled together in the entrance by the stairs and the more we talked, the more scared they got. By 2:00 am one of them had had all she could take and asked Scott and I to walk her to her car because she was LEAVING. The others decided to huddle together in the Charles suite, under a blanket tent I am sure. We all went to bed shortly after that with nothing further to report overnight but an old squeeky house. Shortly after 7:00 am, my husband walked down the second floor hallway towards the bathroom and noticed the door of the Charles suite open and the girls were already gone. We don't know what time they left, but they left early!
It was an amazing birthday and I can't wait to return to the Lemp Mansion for my next birthday!

Room Tip: The William Lemp room is nicely decorated in period decor. It is our favorite room with a view of t...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank oneeyedscott
Reviewed February 8, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the Lemp numerous times over the years. The building is beautiful and the place has a fascinating history. However, the food is always questionable (we no longer eat there). Steaks are not cooked to order and the joker in the kitchen swamps everything in garlic, our waiter confessed that they purchase the mushroom and seafood dip frozen...I could go on but suffice to say that it is not the "fine dining" experience that they advertise.

Most grating is the fact that the staff is so surly (especially as we are at least somewhat regular guests). One almost feels as if they have contempt for the guests. It's a shame. The mansion is so interesting and the rates are exceptionally reasonable, but you must be willing to endure the staff. We'd go far more often were the case otherwise.

Room Tip: remember only some rooms have private bathrooms.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank m b
Reviewed January 7, 2012

My Bf and I went there around 5 pm when they were getting ready to close down for awhile, But the staff said we could take a quick tour around the place by oursleves. It was very nice both the mansion and the staff! but as soon as i walked in the house i got this cold/creepy feeling like i was be watched the whole time..i felt if i would have touched the walls/doors then i would get like a flash back of happened..sounds korny but true.
The feeling got worse when i went upstairs to the 2nd floor.. i was recording everything on my phone, that was when i recorded Mr. lemp! i didnt realize that i had caught a figure standing infront of the middle window wearing a long black drape coat and a top hat like they wore back then. How i know it was for real was because i went past the same window a second later he was gone. And litterly right after that i said this place gives me the creeps. It wasn't untill i got home to where i could really look at my video.. that's when i saw him.. i showed everyone they were amazed and kinda creeped out.. So i came back the next week with my bf again and my sister that time.. she had her camera out recording too! of course she caught nothing! which made me feel special =] i felt bad though!
Afterwards we ate there which was pretty good..i showed the waiter my video and he was shocked, he said they have never seen anything like that before.. it was kinda funny the whole staff kept coming up to me asking to see it. One of the owners saw it an asked if they could have a copy of it but my phone was a piece of crap and wouldnt let me. But hey if i knew a new a way to do it, i would so put it on Ghost Adventures =] But i recomend the Lemp Manson for all the paranormal believers and those who love history. I will definitely go back but im to much of a chicken to stay the night haha.

Room Tip: Umm, not sure what room to tip on since i have never stayed the night their. But i would go with a r...
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kimberly c
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Stopped in for a lunch, as this is a home that I have wanted to visit for years. The food was good, and the setting was great! We walked around the mansion and it was neat to see first hand were the chilling history took place. The house had a cold feel about it, if you believe in the afterworld this has to be a hotspot! I bought a book on the Lemp family in the gift shop it should be a good read. I think next trip to St. Louis will involve a stay overnite....To put the story to the test!

Room Tip: Use a Ouija board...let the dead tell you!...lol
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank theworld2see
Reviewed October 10, 2011

On October 8th 2011, Me and 8 other girls were having a girls night out and decided to come to the lemp mansion murder mystery. But it was a joke! The show wasn't scarey like we were attending it on being, the lemp mansion in general wasnt even decorated spooky for halloween! The murder mystery was in the basement. We were all put in this little room and given name tags and we were told to get up and do what was on the back of our tags, which meant getting up and interacting with other people. But the room was so little you could barely move. The show that was put on wasnt that funny or entertaining, they only had two people performing and in my opinion they should of had more because it wasnt good at all. The food was horrible, the only good food we got was the potato soup, it actually had just the right amount of flavor. The salad dressing that was on the salad had no flavor, the chicken supreme was gross had way too much garlic and some of the girls with me thought the chicken taste like fish. They also had a veg. option if you dont like eating meat. which was stir fry and this was a joke too. It only consisted of cauliflower, broccolli, and squash and had beef broth poured over it. Now how are you going to have a veg. option but put beef broth over it. The dinner also came with white rice & veggies, that wasnt done and tasted like crap! We also got cheesecake at the end that just had a weird taste. They say that the meal comes with soda, tea, water and they give wine with main meal. But the only thing they gave was water if you wanted something different you had to ask and then if you got tea or soda they never refilled it! Also using the restrooms were horrible!! You had to walk outside and upstairs to the lemp mansion and use the restroom because they did have a restroom downstairs but people would wait until the show was on intermission (when we would get soup,salad, entree..etc) but they only bad thing was that when it was on intermission in our room, it was going on in the other room which is where the restrooms were and you couldnt go in there because they didnt want you to interupt... OVERALL this place is a joke, you pay $50 for nasty food and service and a horrible show.. they even put up signs that said tips are welcomed although you $50 you pay tip and everything is included.(TRYING TO RIP PEOPLE OFF).. I will never be coming back to this place, its not worth it. I even called the Lemp mansion that monday and told them about my horrible experience and all the girl on the phone told me was to not come back then... This is unacceptable!!! This place SUCKS!!! IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A GOOD NIGHT OUT GO TO THE ROYAL DUMPE ON THE LANDING, ITS ALOT BETTER AND ONLY COST $25 FOR WAY BETTER FOOD AND A BETTER SHOW.. THIS IS WHERE WE SHOULD OF WENT BUT WE BEEN THERE BFORE AND WANTED TO TRY THIS... NOW WE KNOW ITS A WASTE!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank Deb D
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Had an overnight stay at this wonderfully historic place. I can't speak to the food, because the restaurant wasn't open on Monday evenings. I had the place to myself (literally) as after the staff left for the day, I later discovered no one else was checked in that night. Slightly unsettling, but I had plenty of time to explore. The rooms are all wonderfully appointed and you can truly imagine yourself taking a step back in time. The Lemp family history is quite interesting. I heard more of it, as I attended a paranormal/haunted tour with Betsy Belanger which was fun. I stayed in the Elsa Lemp suite, which has its own private bathroom. It and a couple of the other rooms are on the 3rd floor, which may prove a bit of climb for some (in terms of bringing up luggage) so keep that in mind. Snacks and such were provided in the room. Overnight rate was more than website noted. The mansion is just off the expressway so the traffic noise was evident most of the night. However, I do look forward to an opportunity to visit again if in the area.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms are largest. 3rd floor rooms do have private baths, but staircase is narrower.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo