“Great Hotel for the Price”

Americas Best Value Inn-St. Louis / Downtown
Ranked #97 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Great Hotel for the Price”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

We stayed here for the National Wrestling Tournament. The hotel is an older hotel, but very clean. The staff was great and met all our needs. The Manager of the hotel went out of his way on more than one occassion. We needed a wheelchair for my mother, and he not only called places to acquire one, but even went and picked it up for us 8 miles away, and when we left St. Louis, returned it and refused to take "gas" money for his efforts. Without his kind actions, my Mother would not have been able to get around. This was way above what this hotel Manager had to do for us. He was caring and so helpful, and we would return to this hotel anytime we are in St. Louis.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Korean first
North Charleston, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We have stayed in ABV's before and they are okay for the price. I researched this hotel before leaving home and the website is somewhat deceiving. This hotel is very hard to find and the rush of the downtown traffic makes it stressful trip. I called them and they could not provide understanable directions from where we were located. They do not speak very good english. They put us right in front of the elevator and noisy neighbors (at 3 a.m.) which made it very hard to sleep. We will not stay here if there is a future stay in St. Louis.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed August 14, 2011

I researched extensively to decide if I should stay at the ABVI here in downtown St. Louis. As a woman alone and wanting to walk to and from a conference a half a mile away at the Hyatt, I wanted to know what I was getting into. Thanks to a female reviewer from July 2011, I felt safe to stay here. Indeed, the room is quite nice for a $56/night hotel. The outside is shabby, the walkways dirty and it really needs some work...but the room itself is fine.
The walls seem pretty thin; I can hear the neighboring room's tv quite easily. Worse, though, is the massive amount of traffic noise. I am on the backside of the hotel, away from the interstate, but it doesn't matter. It's loud. I'm hoping I will be able to sleep; if I can't, I'm going to let them know I'll be checking out rather than staying the full 5 days here. I'll move to a hotel father out of town just to have some peace and quiet.
Parking is adequate at this hotel...and parking is FREE. I haven't walked the area yet, but will feel safe doing so.

Room Tip: Get a room on the backside, top floor.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Julie D
Ocoee, Florida
Reviewed July 28, 2011

This is an older property, but the guest room was very clean and nice. It had a refrigerator, and there was plenty of free apple and orange juice in the lobby all the time. Free high speed Internet worked well. Breakfast included donuts. This was the best price for any property in downtown St. Louis. The staff was very helpful and friendly. I was able to store my bags after I checked out until it was time to leave for the airport. I was able to walk to the rail station and ride to the airport for less than $3.00. The hotel is across the street from the arena and convention center. If you don't want to cross the street, there is an air conditioned tunnel with moving sidewalks that goes under the street from the Four Seasons hotel to exit by the convention center. This hotel is next door to the Four Seasons. The area is safe. I walked from the hotel to the Arch and all the major attractions. I had the choice of walking through a historic district with brick streets and vibrant night life, or walking along a regular street. I enjoyed a river view from my room on the third floor, and I did not hear any traffic. There is an elevator and a convenient trolly to take your luggage to your room. I had a great experience and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Chose a room on the third floor facing the river for a nice view
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank vlaney
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed January 12, 2011

I thought it would be no good when I arrived but the owners were very nice and convinved me they had nice rooms so I gave it a chance. Besides putting me right next to the elevator and noisy neighbors which made it very hard to sleep, I awoke to something crawling on my face. When I got up and turned on a light I saw a "BEDBUG" making his escape for the corner of the mattress. I am petrified now that they are on my things and will never come here again!!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank drummerlou
Victoria
Reviewed October 22, 2010

Try not to get a connecting room. The doors let in sound. If it weren't for that, this would have been a pretty good place. Great clerk. Very helpful. Right downtown, and not a bad price. (Although the state room tax is a killer - 15%. Ridiculous.) Bed was okay, lots of hot water. But if you have noisy neighbours, you'll have a problem.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ianjc
Morristown, Tennessee
Reviewed July 7, 2010

My first thought from the outside of the hotel was, "Oh, small, cheap." The lobby was clean, the staff friendly, and even let us look at the room before we paid. I didn't like it all that much, but it was late and we were desperate. We paid, a cheap price (only $70 after tax), and made our way to the elevator. The first problem was the elevator. It not only was filthy, but the four of us (all with two weeks worth of luggage) wouldn't go up the elevator. The doors just wouldn't close. So the two men took their luggage and used the stairs. We got to the room and it was set to 67 degrees F, very cold, even for July. So we turned it up to 75. About 45 mins later, the air wasn't working. We had to change it back down to 68 to get it to turn on, then turned up to 70 and it remained warmer than 70 degrees the rest of the night.
The room was technically clean, but it just felt dirty. If I had had a giant bottle of Lysol, the whole room would have been doused multiple times. There were burn marks on the toilet seat, the microwave, and other places, even though we were in a non-smoking room. The lighting was bad, which just added to the dirty/creepy feel. I went barefoot for about 20 mins walking around and my feet had already started to stain black.

Also, there was no swimming pool, which the children didn't like. I wouldn't recommend bringing children who aren't old enough to tell what is dirty or should be avoided.

The only upsides- Free parking, free wi-fi, cheap, great location (walking distance from St. Louis Arch and the downtown area).

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Hotel Avyan
Hotel Avyan
#88 of 120 in Saint Louis
City Place St. Louis Downtown Hotel

Been to Americas Best Value Inn-St. Louis / Downtown? Share your experiences!