“Beautiful, excellent desserts”

Ranked #4 of 88 Dessert in Saint Louis
Cuisines: American, Diner, Bar, Cafe
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Grand Center / Midtown
Description: **We will be closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, but will be open the following day the 26th. Additionally, we will be open on two Mondays before and after Christmas on December 21 and December 28. The most photographed restaurant in St Louis. And Home of The Ice Cream Martini ~ with delicious FRESH-MADE food, fine ice creams, chocolates and retro cocktails - all in a one-of-a-kind, handpainted Art Deco interior. Exceptional SOUPS!
Anchorage, Alaska
“Beautiful, excellent desserts”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We visited on a whim (it was awarded "best bathrooms in StL" last year) and were blown away by the decor: walk in the door and be amazed.

The ice cream we had was excellent, the service friendly and helpful... and the bathrooms are terrific.

It's open fairly late and is definitely worth making a trip!

1 Thank Qpgmr
marlastl, Guest Relations Manager at Fountain on Locust, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thanks so much for coming in to sample our ice cream while you were in the St. Louis area and taking the time to post about it! We hope to see you the next time you are back in our area.

St. Louis, Missouri USA
“Lots to Like”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We recently visited this place for lunch and found it to be outstanding along with being a photographer's paradise. Next time we go we are going to sit in the west side booths to listen to the only Restaurant Radio Comedy Serial, “Soap Hospital,” with a new episode every two minutes! The walls are decorated with one-of-a-kind hand painted art deco and they have the best bathrooms in St Louis. The building was constructed in 1916 as the showroom for the Stutz Blackhawk and the Stutz Bearcat. On their menu, among unique one-of-a-kind ice cream desserts (to include mini sundaes for $1.99 each), are wonderful salads(birdseed salad is my favorite), dill pickle soup and sandwiches with home made delicious taste, martini's with ice cream, they advertise "Late Night specials" that you have to make reservations to attend and one of which is now on my bucket list - it is called "Burlesque Bingo". Will definitely take my camera when we go.

1 Thank DianeSt-Louis
Thanks so much for the glowing review! We appreciate you taking the time to post and look forward to having you back for Burlesque Bingo!
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great fun - Day or Night!”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I've been to the Fountain on Locust twice now - once in the afternoon, the other late night. The lunch atmosphere is very family friendly. I was there on a Saturday and had the special -- a chicken salad sandwich that was awesome. Naturally we stayed for dessert and I got a fairly boring sundae - vanilla ice cream with hot fudge and caramel or butterscotch - but it was so good! Everything hit the spot. We got there right as they opened and we got a table right away, but by the time we had left the place was full and people were waiting. The other time that I went was for a late night meal and drinks. Again, everything was terrific. The drink menu is so retro -- I felt like I was drinking something out of a Fitzgerald novel. Again the food was great -- and that was the consensus around the table -- and the drinks and ice cream were all exceptional. The decor is really fun - very art deco, speakeasy-ish. There are booths with curtains along one of the walls -- one day I'll make it over there!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Delphine384
marlastl, Guest Relations Manager at Fountain on Locust, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Thanks so much for posting about your visits to us for lunch and late night! We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. See you soon in one of those curtained booths!
Maryland Heights, Missouri
“Poor Ice Cream”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We went to the Fountain last Sunday (9/1 I always tell my husband great food and great ice cream, better than Crown Candy. Well, our food was great (salad) I was excited to order my ice cream, I thought Brownie with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge would be great, my mouth was watering to get it. My surprise, it was in a coffee cup, cup was cold which meant brownie was not warm and hot fudge was not hot fudge. I dug brownie out from bottom of cup because it was so hard I could not spoon it, pulled it out and put on napkin, ice cream was not there good quality, tasted old. Hot fudge was not hot fudge it was luke warn chocolate I can buy at store. Waitress came over and asked problem I told her, she took it and I said give me a hot fudge sundae, well, same thing old vanilla ice cream and no hot fudge. Guess, I will go back to Crown Candy.

• Visited September 2013
marlastl, Owner at Fountain on Locust, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Hi -I am the owner. So sorry to hear this about the ice cream! I have, in fact, just changed the brownie recipe because the butter-only version was often overbaked, causing the brownies to be hard as you say. But the ice cream is never "old." I believe you when you say that it tasted wrong and can explain that we had trouble with our antique dipping cabinet being too cold causing the ice cream to be the wrong serving temperature (seemingly not creamy) which in turn causes the Hot Fudge to actually melt, appearing to thin, and then lose heat when combined with the too-cold ice cream. My sincere apologies --please give us a chance to make this right for you. Please cut and paste this and contact me directly at fountainonlocust@yahoo.com My name is Joy - when you come back-ask if I'm here when you come so I can give you a hug too -we want you to be only happy and confident you can count on your ice cream being as delicious as you remember!!

Joy Christensen
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Tasty food in cute setting”
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We went on a Friday night at 9 ish, seated immediately. Good service. Tasty sandwiches, amazing ice cream. Setting is cool, realize I forgot to look in the bathroom so I guess I'll be forced to go back and eat more ice cream ;-)

• Visited September 2013
marlastl, Guest Relations Manager at Fountain on Locust, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thanks for coming in and taking the time to post about your visit. Glad to hear you forgot to sneak a peek at our award winning bathrooms, so we'll see you on that next visit for more ice cream!