“A quintessential boutique hotel...South Beach meets St. Louis”
Review of Moonrise Hotel

Moonrise Hotel
Ranked #7 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed November 25, 2009

Excellent service, impressive, hip, artistic lobby. Rooms were spacious, clean, and comfortable. Free wireless, no issues getting connected as often happens when I travel the 'chain' hotels. Hotel bar was well-stocked (assuming they'll re-order after our group emptied some bottles!!! Oops!). Had some appetizers in the bar after midnight, kitchen was still opened and the food seemed to be gourmet. I've found my new 'home' in St. Louis as I will be staying there again in the future for sure!

There are newer reviews for Moonrise Hotel

Reviewed November 25, 2009

I had a great overnight stay at this hotel. Funky and chic, yet solid for the business traveler. Service was outstanding. Great meal at Eclipse, which served excellent food at reasonable prices. I would definitely recommend this hotel and restaurant to anyone visiting St. Louis. I've also stayed at the Westin (ballpark), Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton. I like Moonrise best.

Reviewed November 24, 2009

I recently stayed at the Moonrise, for the first time ever following a hotel visit I was compelled to write a review. From the time we arrived til we checked out I have nothing but positive things to say. The most impressive part wasn't the cleanliness and interesting decor of the hotel, it was the staff.....Every person we ran into was smiling and helpful. The staff not only communicated and offered pleasantries, but seemed truely interested if they could help us with anything. It is the first hotel in many years that seemed welcoming, not just the obligatory business like manner of serving people. Thumbs up to the hotel, everyone from the executive chef to the maintenance and housekeeping staff, along with the front desk, and the charming valets.....

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 22, 2009

I graduated from Wash U several years ago and was so excited to hear about this hotel. My friends raved about it and it was right in the middle of where we used to go out at night (Halo, Pin-up Bowl). I saw a great deal on their website but it was sold out by the time I went to book it.. so I resorted to Hotwire and was SO excited to see that I had actually won this hotel! I saw the great reviews and figured we would be in for an awesome experience!

Pros:
-Location is great if you want to be on the loop/have easy access to restaurants, bars, shopping, Wash U, Forest Park, etc
-The decor is new and "trendy"
-Liked the chaise lounge in the room and the copies of rolling stone magazines
-Bath products were good

Cons:
-There was a serious problem with our King bed. After the first night, I thought I hadn't slept well due to traveling, etc, and had some back pain. After the second night, I was in SERIOUS back pain and kept waking up all night long. My husband finally pointed out that the bed dipped in significantly in the middle and that was most likely the cause of the problem. My back has been killing me all day and flying back was not fun! There is definitely something wrong with that mattress and it needs to be replaced.
-While the staff were very friendly most of the time, no one asked us at check out if we had enjoyed our stay. If they had, I would have told them about the mattress problem.
-No bathtub!! I know I didn't get to pick the room because I booked on Hotwire, but I personally love taking baths in hotels and this was kind of a downer. Even Hampton Inns have baths.

I am not sure if I would stay here again. I have family in St. Louis and if I was coming to visit them, I would probably stay at the Hampton Inn Forest Park - stayed there last year. Not "sexy" by any means but it was a fantastic stay and so comfortable. But, if I was having a girls' trip where we wanted to be around bars and nightlife, this would be a great option.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2009

Spanking new stylish hotel with can-do staff gets high marks for comfortable rooms and good location on "The Loop" near Wash U (at Delmar near Skinker). The only complaint I had was the food in the restaurant... while the menu sounds very appealing, the cooking is heavy and a bit amateurish. "Lobster Pot Pie" was a gloppy stew with a biscuit perched on the side, and the sauce on the chicken dish we had was also very heavy. But this seems to be a general problem in St. Louis -- I have yet to find a restaurant with light sauces or healthy cuisine.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed November 13, 2009

I have traveled a lot and stayed in many hotels. The Moonrise Hotel is one of the nicest, most beautiful hotels I have ever been in. The entire hotel is done in "art deco" and absolutely stunning. The staff were friendly and helpful and made it a great experience from the time we checked in until we left. Our room was spacious and the beds were incredibly comfortable. My only complaint was the shower is only covered by half a piece of glass and the water got out onto the floor. Not a big deal at all. My friend and I had drinks on the rooftop bar on the warm, summer Friday night of our stay and could not have had more fun there. The crowd was diverse; ages 20s, 30s, 40s, etc., it was nice.

The neighborhood where Moonrise Hotel is located is also fun, with many shops and restaurants including the famed Pi pizza joint which was EXCELLENT. The best pizza I have ever had and I am born and raised in Chicago. The neighborhood's bookstore is worth a stop for some unique selections. There is also a concert place right next door to the Moonrise so it is very convienent to see a show and then stay overnight.

The Moonrise is higher priced then other hotels but totally worth it. As they say, "You get what you pay for..." I can't wait to come back to St. Louis and stay at this hotel again. Thanks again for such a great time.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank RacingGirl71
Reviewed November 11, 2009

I business travel a lot and usually stay at chain properties. A friend told me about this hotel, so I stayed last night and had an incredible experience. I do not know where to start: From the minute I walked in the door, the service was excellent. The Director of Sales as well as the Director of Operations, Harry & Greg, were still in the lobby greeting guests. The rooms are oversized, furnishings top notch, and the wall art is trendy & fun. I met a friend in Eclipse for drinks and dinner. From there we walked over to The Pageant where American Idol David Cook's sold out performance was ready to start. We walked in the door and we were handed two free tickets to the show! This hotel rivals high end boutique hotels in Chicago where you pay $300 per night and $50 to park. Location is great with lots to do within walking distance. I'll be back with my girlfriends for a weekend of shopping and partying! The money we save can be spent at the Galleria :)