“Moonrise was out of this world!”
Review of Moonrise Hotel

Moonrise Hotel
Ranked #5 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
WI
“Moonrise was out of this world!”
Reviewed October 10, 2009

If you are looking for an upscale, affordable option in St Louis, the Moonrise is a great option. We went to St. Louis to see a comedian at the Pageant Theater and the Moonrise is right next door. This new hotel is nicely appointed with a space theme and the room was nicely decorated. We had one minor issue on arrival with the room and were immediately moved. The service was fantastic. I mentioned we were celebrating our son’s birthday and they left balloons and a gift. It was a nice touch.
I booked using the AARP rate which made the room a good value for the location. They have beautiful one-bedroom suites, but none were available for the weekend we were there. We also liked the security measures. You cannot access the hotel floors without using your room card in the elevator. That prevents non-guests from getting onto any floors with rooms. There is a roof top nightclub and that is the only accessible space to non-guests.
As the Moonrise is situated on the “loop” there is always a rush of people and activity. The loop is hoppin’ with lots of eateries, but unfortunately not hoppin’ with shoppin’ so don’t plan on spending your cash on the latest fashions.
With the robust St. Louis highway system in place, we were only about 15 minutes from the main tourist attractions, such as the Gateway Arch. It was easy in and easy out so I would recommend the Moonrise to St. Louis visitors.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Dmctimm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Victoria BC
Reviewed October 9, 2009

We went to St Louis on a wild hair to go to FarmAid. Chose Moonrise because it was convenient to the airport on the Metrolink, because it is stylish and cool, because its in a happening and safe neighborhood, and because we got a great deal on the room. (We booked with Perfect Escapes and got the third night free).

First, the actual facilities. Although the outside is a little bit contempo-bland, the inside is beautifully decorated in a modern style fitting teh "space" theme. Occasional elements stood out as a little too theme-y, but overall it was nice to look at, comfortable and in good fun. The room was spacious, with a super comfy bed that made me not want to get out or go back to my hard mattress at home. The hotel restaurant was delicious, though our eggnog french toast was a little bit dry in the middle. Despite the slightly less than perfect execution on that item, the menu is creative in using local and seasonal ingredients and delivering innovate and tasty cuisine. The restaurant bar is a happening spot for locals and tourists alike, with all ages mingling in a bustling and hip atmosphere. The rooftop bar was fun and festive, although an unexpectedly chilly spell made it less than ideal for lingering. Free wireless meant I did not need the business center, and I did enough walking around St Louis to avoid the gym, so I can't speak to those areas.

The location was perfect - 2 blocks from a metrolink station, which was clean inexpensive and easy to use. It was about 20 minutes from the airport with no transfers. We also took the metrolink downtown for a Cardinals game and to see the Arch. Equally easy. The neighborhood itself is full of good restaurants, bars, shops, and galleries. We found some nice gifts for friends during the annual artwalk, and there seemed to be a constant flow of events happening. Forest Park is a 10 minute walk for golf tennis running etc.

But the real kicker was the outstanding service. We got friendly professional service at every turn, despite some glitches on our end. Our flight was delayed through mineapolis, so we wound p spending the night there instead of at the hotel. As soon as we realized we might not make it we called the hotel, and they said no problem and not to worry about charges. When we got there the next day, they had rented our room and so upgraded us to a suite without a moments hesitation. During our stay, the concierge ("Manager of Desires") was helpful with restaurant siteseeing and event suggestsions. Restaurant service was also good - they knew the wine list and made informed suggestions about the food, all with a smile. Finally, when we left, I realized I had thrown out our discount vouchers from teh airline. I called from teh airport, and they retrieved the vouchers and mailed them to us, again very eager to please.

Overall, I can't think of the last time I had such a nice stay in a hotel. The only possible competition in my limited experience was the Metropolitan in downtown vancouver. Great hotel, stay there if you can.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Corvus47
Rogers, AR
Reviewed October 9, 2009

The hotel now has valet parking - which was a big relief for me - was worried having read other reviews.

The room was great - king superior - I could tell a lot of thinking went into the decor and amenities. The bathrobe and linens were wonderful - very thick and fluffy - nice shampoo and soaps. Only disappointment: no notepad and pen beside the phone, or anywhere in the room. I did notice the septic smell - but only once and this was late at night. I'm sure this will work out in the future.

Eclipse restaurant was very nice - had the duck liver appetizer - delicious - if three of these were placed on a plate, could be an entree. Nicoise Salad was fine - mustard tasted like Gray Poupon. The Sauvignon Blanc should be changed - this one tasted like Chablis. The mixed berry trifle was also nice - the bread element tasted a little stale, until it soaked up the juice - which is the way a trifle is supposed to be. Coffee was cold and had to be returned.

Room service was a bit of a disappointment - coffee was cold - I used the coffee service in the room. Had the Moonrise Breakfast, which touts a muffin - I don't know what I got, but it wasn't a muffin - more like an onion scone.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Seattle/Tacoma
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Pleasantly surprised as I wan't sure about this location, had never been to St. Louis. Beautiful decor, close to boutique shops and GREAT restaurants. Less than a 5 min walk to the Metrolink! No car needed, took Metrolink everywhere.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Cordova, Tennessee
Reviewed October 4, 2009

I had heard about the Moonrise Hotel and their rooftop lounge from my Facebook friends. They spoke very highly of it and therefore, I knew that the next time I planned a trip to St. Louis, I would be staying at the Moonrise. This hotel was everything and more than I heard about from friends and the website. The review I read on tripadvisor were very helpful too. The hotel is located in the heart of the Delmar Loop next to the Pin-Up Bowling Alley (very trendy), Pageant (performance venue) and across the street from Pi (a restaurant Obama said is the closest to Chicago-style pizza, therefore the restuarant has a looong waiting list.). The lobby was awesome with a lighted staircase. Lovely furniture. The rooms were very spacious with a flat screen tv, ipod deck, and great furniture. The shower had a rain-type feature where it came from the ceiling. There were cool soaps, etc too. The rooftop lounge did not fail either. Great atmosphere and a cool moon that lit up at night. The only downside is that this hotel is not for the budget conscious. It's a little pricey. But it is worth it. It is the only hotel in that area and is close to Washington University.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank natalya1299
savannah
Reviewed October 1, 2009

I stayed at the Moonrise because it was close to where I needed to be. I can't say enough about how helpful and friendly the staff were. I travel alot and this type of service is rare. I loved the decor and felt it fit perfectly with the surrounding area. Room service was prompt and reasonably priced. I would definitely stay again.

Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Massachusettes
Reviewed September 27, 2009

My stay at the moonrise was wonderful. From the moment we arrived we were greeted wonderfully, offered help with luggage. The woman at the desk asked us about our stay and gave us wonderful recommendations as to where to eat, what to see, what we could do, etc. The hotel is very stylish, the stairs in the lobby were rainbow colored when we arrived but had changed when we left, it wasn't overbearing though, like the design of the "W" hotel found in NYC. The room was very spacious, quite aesthetically pleasing, and practical. There was a small bar/coffee area, the bathroom, and somewhat of a room divider all off of a tile floor. It then transitioned to carpet where the room was. The beds were incredibly comfortable, and the decor was fantastic. Free internet, and the 24-hour fitness center were awesome amenities. The location of the hotel is also a plus. Located on Delmar, or the loop, there is more than enough to occupy yourself with. The restaurant attached the the hotel "eclipse" is also definitely worth a visit. It is incredibly original and also very delicious! Stay at this hotel!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family