“very nice”

Ranked #5 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
darnestown md
“very nice”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

My son and I stayed here for one night while visiting Washington University. Nice room, great bathroom and shower. Very clean and comfortable beds. We thought it was a cute, funky hotel. We stayed here in February. We didn't experience any problems with noise or construction. The front desk clerk was very helpful suggesting tourist sights. The hotel was within walking distance of Washington University. I didn't love the neighborhood-it was safe and ok, just nothing special. But I don't fault the hotel for that! We had breakfast at the hotel's restaurant and it was very good. I would stay here again.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank goblingoblin
moonrisemanager, Manager at Moonrise Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Hopefully your son chose to attend Washington University and we will have the opportunity to have you and your family back as guests! The construction from February was for the New Moon Room which is complete and a wonderful place to relax and have a drink. Since you were here that have been many fabulous restaurants that opened in the Loop. If you return please ask about some places when you arrive and the Front Desk Agent or Valet Attendant can give you some good suggestions on places that are new to the area.

Assistant Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 7, 2013

This is a funky boutique hotel, and the stairs are not as bright or obnoxious as the website looks. The staff is *lovely* (very kind) and funky - lots of tattoos and body piercings and combat boots. Our room was a queen, with a view of the parking lot and beyond. It was clean and nicely appointed - but nothing remarkable. The amenities are really good! H20 spa products. Shower is small, but has a rainhead. The room was spacious, beds comfy and pillows were all firm and cheap. Our wakeup call was 12 minutes late on a travel morning, but we figured it out. Not a big fan of the morning coffee in the lobby (and I like Starbucks) it was a 'bold' coffee, but bitter and nasty. We stayed on the 6th floor and the smell of steak/meat cooking came through all evening. Staff downstairs told me it was from the rooftop bar. (Vegans - beware!)
The decor throughout the hotel is 'moon' themed - it works! I would stay there again, it is on one end of the Delmar Loop and close to Metro - which takes you directly to the airport. Honestly one of the easiest public transportation cities I have traveled in.

Room Tip: Vegans beware of the cooking meat odor on the 6th floor in the evening
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Anne L
Thank you for sharing your experience of your stay at our hotel! The way the hotel is set up is that all of our rooms with two queen size beds will be facing north, which overlooks the parking lot of the hotel. I am sorry that your wake-up call was delayed by 12 minutes, but I am glad that it did not cause a problem with your travel plans for the day. If the complementary coffee in the lobby is not to your liking we also have Wolfgang Puck in the rooms and the restaurant offers 24 hour in room dinning.

We are happy that you enjoyed yourself while you were here and hope that if you travel back to St. Louis you will come back to Moonrise!

Cheers,

Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

awesome service, location, room. beds are super comfortable. the restaurant has options for everyone, servers know the menu. upstairs bar on the roof is awesome with outside bar. excellent room service, helpful staff. only setback is stand up shower, no tub and bathroom door doesn't lock. the place is beautiful otherwise

• Stayed August 2013
moonrisemanager, Manager at Moonrise Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your experience at Moonrise! We do have five room on property that have two person Jacuzzi tubs in the rooms if you would be interested in reserving one of those rooms on your future trip!

We look forward to your return!

Assistant Guest Service Manger
Long Island, New York
Reviewed September 3, 2013

What a cool, funky hotel. The Loop is a great, renovated area with a great selection of clubs, bars, shops, etc. The Moonrise just gives off this relaxed, very hip vibe, but it is genuine (as opposed to other boutique hotels that "try too hard). Rooftop bar is an excellent place to hang out and have a drink. Breakfast in the restaurant was very good, and quite reasonably priced. Very convenient to Wash. U, and not too far from Forest Park. Overall, it was great to stay at a true original and I didn't mind at all that I didn't get to earn any frequent stay points from the big chains.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We employ people who really love what they do which allows us to provide genuine service to our guests! It is great that your stay here was pleasant, however we do not want you to sacrifice earning points to stay here! We are members of Stash Rewards which is a points based rewards program. There is no charge to sign up and there are nearly 200 hotels nationwide! If you have any questions about the program please feel free to contact myself directly.

Cheers,

Wellesley, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Believe the positive reviews: this place is a lot of fun! The spinning moon atop the hotel sets the mood, as does the lobby, and the staff were super friendly and courteous at the front desk and in the restaurant, Eclipse. Our room was 2 queens and comfortable but not lavish - a piece of art was missing from one of the walls, inexplicably, but I didn't bother to report it - while the highlight was the rooftop restaurant for me. It was a balmy night in St. Louis (the next day would hit 98) and the breeze atop the roof (with the aforementioned moon spinning overhead) made for a perfect place to end the day. Try the flatbread "make your own" pizza for sure - delicious - washed down with a Four Hand Rye IPA (local brew, I'm told). Breakfast the next morning in Eclipse was not remarkable but perfectly tasty. (NOTE: There's a ton of things to do on the Delmar "Loop" - where this hotel is based - food, drink, movies, even bowling about 4 doors away.)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TerraIncognita
The Rooftop Terrace Lounge is a great place to end a day! On hot St. Louis nights it is usually cool because of the breeze, but even if it is too hot to relax outside you can stop in the New Moon Room for an enclosed rooftop bar! We are happy that you had fun while you stayed with us and hope that you will stay here again should you return to St. Louis!

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

I am a fan of boutique hotels and I wish I had been able to enjoy the Moonrise more but had only one night. Very reminiscent of the Kimpton brand, the hotel is quirky but fun. Not overly plush but with great amenities. Free wifi-plus. Recycling bin-plus. My stay wasn't long enough to explore more but I'll be back.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
We hope that you will be able to return for a longer stay here! The hotel has a wonderful restaurant and two great bars on the roof, plus there are a lot of great places to visit in the Delmar Loop.

If I can be of any assistance with a future reservations please feel free to contact me!

Greenville,Oh
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We recently stayed 3 nights at the Moonrise while in town for a wedding. Overall, it was a pleasant experience but there were a few rough edges to consider. The positives: The hotel has a cool vibe and the theme is certainly entertaining. The staff were all very helpful and pleasant. The room was clean and the maid service was very good and finally the food we had,(breakfasts) were very good. A few things we didn't like: Self Parking is next to impossible on the weekends, they take up most of the spaces which are half empty for valet at $ 17.00 per night. basically a rip off. The wildly popular rooftop bar makes the hotels only 2 elevators something of a circus carnival ride in the evenings and not in a good way, complete with lines. On the one evening at the rooftop bar, there was a group of young men basically trying to pick a fight with a waiter (serious profanity and threatening physical abuse), and cutting in line for drinks in front of the whole bar staff, no one said a word. My wife and I were merely trying to get a drink, and enjoy the evening, and the atmosphere seemed like a juvenile drinking party.
All in all, it is a nice place, cool vibe, but the lack of oversight at the rooftop bar, and elevator access tainted the experience for us. We are in our mid-forties but felt old, or certainly out of touch. I simply would not pay the price to stay with the shenanigans that go on there at night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank funflyers33
Paul L, General Manager at Moonrise Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with me. It was nice to read that there were many positive aspects of your stay that you really enjoyed but I was also saddened to hear that there were some issues that have tainted your impression of the hotel. The self parking in the public lot can be ample or packed depending on what is going on in the neighborhood. We hold valet spots so as to never have an issue in finding space for a guest car. I am sorry you felt that the $17 valet charge was excessive we are however more affordable than most of the valet fees at hotels in the city.

Indeed the Rooftop Terrace Bar and the New Moon Room are extremely popular with the locals, it sounds like it was on the extreme celebratory side the evening you visited. We try our best to make the rooftop experience enjoyable for all so I am very sorry your experience was anything but that. I am sure that if you would give us another chance you would see that it is not normally what our guests encounter. Allow me to make myself available for you to handle any future reservation so that I may show you the 4-Diamond standards we are known for. I may be reached at 314-721-1111.
Regards,