“The only place to stay near WashU”
Review of Moonrise Hotel

Moonrise Hotel
Ranked #7 of 122 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Believe the positive reviews: this place is a lot of fun! The spinning moon atop the hotel sets the mood, as does the lobby, and the staff were super friendly and courteous at the front desk and in the restaurant, Eclipse. Our room was 2 queens and comfortable but not lavish - a piece of art was missing from one of the walls, inexplicably, but I didn't bother to report it - while the highlight was the rooftop restaurant for me. It was a balmy night in St. Louis (the next day would hit 98) and the breeze atop the roof (with the aforementioned moon spinning overhead) made for a perfect place to end the day. Try the flatbread "make your own" pizza for sure - delicious - washed down with a Four Hand Rye IPA (local brew, I'm told). Breakfast the next morning in Eclipse was not remarkable but perfectly tasty. (NOTE: There's a ton of things to do on the Delmar "Loop" - where this hotel is based - food, drink, movies, even bowling about 4 doors away.)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TerraIncognita
moonrisemanager, Manager at Moonrise Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

The Rooftop Terrace Lounge is a great place to end a day! On hot St. Louis nights it is usually cool because of the breeze, but even if it is too hot to relax outside you can stop in the New Moon Room for an enclosed rooftop bar! We are happy that you had fun while you stayed with us and hope that you will stay here again should you return to St. Louis!

Assistant Guest Service Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,247)

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I am a fan of boutique hotels and I wish I had been able to enjoy the Moonrise more but had only one night. Very reminiscent of the Kimpton brand, the hotel is quirky but fun. Not overly plush but with great amenities. Free wifi-plus. Recycling bin-plus. My stay wasn't long enough to explore more but I'll be back.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

We hope that you will be able to return for a longer stay here! The hotel has a wonderful restaurant and two great bars on the roof, plus there are a lot of great places to visit in the Delmar Loop.

If I can be of any assistance with a future reservations please feel free to contact me!

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We recently stayed 3 nights at the Moonrise while in town for a wedding. Overall, it was a pleasant experience but there were a few rough edges to consider. The positives: The hotel has a cool vibe and the theme is certainly entertaining. The staff were all very helpful and pleasant. The room was clean and the maid service was very good and finally the food we had,(breakfasts) were very good. A few things we didn't like: Self Parking is next to impossible on the weekends, they take up most of the spaces which are half empty for valet at $ 17.00 per night. basically a rip off. The wildly popular rooftop bar makes the hotels only 2 elevators something of a circus carnival ride in the evenings and not in a good way, complete with lines. On the one evening at the rooftop bar, there was a group of young men basically trying to pick a fight with a waiter (serious profanity and threatening physical abuse), and cutting in line for drinks in front of the whole bar staff, no one said a word. My wife and I were merely trying to get a drink, and enjoy the evening, and the atmosphere seemed like a juvenile drinking party.
All in all, it is a nice place, cool vibe, but the lack of oversight at the rooftop bar, and elevator access tainted the experience for us. We are in our mid-forties but felt old, or certainly out of touch. I simply would not pay the price to stay with the shenanigans that go on there at night.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank funflyers33
Paul L, General Manager at Moonrise Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with me. It was nice to read that there were many positive aspects of your stay that you really enjoyed but I was also saddened to hear that there were some issues that have tainted your impression of the hotel. The self parking in the public lot can be ample or packed depending on what is going on in the neighborhood. We hold valet spots so as to never have an issue in finding space for a guest car. I am sorry you felt that the $17 valet charge was excessive we are however more affordable than most of the valet fees at hotels in the city.

Indeed the Rooftop Terrace Bar and the New Moon Room are extremely popular with the locals, it sounds like it was on the extreme celebratory side the evening you visited. We try our best to make the rooftop experience enjoyable for all so I am very sorry your experience was anything but that. I am sure that if you would give us another chance you would see that it is not normally what our guests encounter. Allow me to make myself available for you to handle any future reservation so that I may show you the 4-Diamond standards we are known for. I may be reached at 314-721-1111.
Regards,
Paul J Lauritsen, General Manager

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We were in town recently to drop off our child at college. We have stayed here before and liked the rooms and were ok with the neighborhood (despite issues over the weekends). They even mentioned that they added some security measures (not sure what that meant). This time the place was pretty crowded and unfortunately we too had elevator problems and lines waiting for 1 working elevator. It seems like this isn't the first time this has happened and if they don't take care of this soon we may not come back again (given that there are many other options nearby). Also, they allow pets in the hotel and seem to do it any room. Well we have some allergies and requested a room away from pets. They mentioned this request at check in and proceeded to put us in a room next to a dog. This was my go to place for a while but unfortunatley right now they have at least 2 strikes. Not sure if I'm going to come back right away or not yet. Also, they don't have a loyalty card or offer any type of program that rewards returning guests.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Bob S

I was happy to read that your past stays with us were enjoyable and that you received the type of 4-Diamond service our guests have come to expect of the Moonrise Hotel. I was however very sorry to hear of the inconveniences you experienced on your last stay due to our elevator issues. We had a mechanical issue that required parts shipped in from Sweden and unfortunately they couldn’t be obtained on a weekend.

Sometimes a guest will sneak in a pet and bring them to their room without our knowledge which was the case with your neighbor. We have designated floors and rooms specifically for those traveling with their pets so as not to inconvenience those who have allergies. I would like the chance to show you that we can do things correctly and that your past stay was an isolated set of incidents. If I may ask you to contact me directly so I can assist you with a future reservation and as a gesture of goodwill offer you a discounted rate as a means of compensation for the inconveniences you experienced.
I may be reached at 314-721-1111

Regards, Paul J Lauritsen, General Manager

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I really loved this place as did my friend. The interior is really well designed and imaginative, there is a real moon and space theme and some great photos and decor. The room was seriously comfortable and well equipped and there was a great view (See photos). Be aware that the rooftop garden is not open in Winter/Spring which was a shame but can't complain. Would stay again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Voodoochilled1
moonrisemanager, Manager at Moonrise Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

We are thrilled to hear that you and your friend enjoyed your experience at Moonrise! The New Moon Room, the enclosed section of the roof, is open all year. The Rooftop Terrace Lounge, the outdoor section, is only open spring through fall. When you stayed in March the New Moon Room was still under construction and the Rooftop Terrace Lounge did not open until April. The next time you stay you will be able to visit the a rooftop bar no matter what season you return!

Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Love the theme, very clean. We stayed in their Superior King for our anniversary. Comfly bed, nice bathroom. Excellent staff. Got outside and walked around and figured out quick this area was not our cup of tea. Parking was free, but had to compete for a spot with people not staying at the Moonrise. We went to the rooftop and really, really liked it. Great stay. If you like the area, it's a perfect place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay at Moonrise! One of the unfortunate aspects of being located in a popular area is parking. We do guarantee valet parking for all hotel guests and there are two overflow lots less than a block away for guests to use if the lot directly behind the hotel is full and they wish not to valet. The rooftop is a great place to have drinks and we are happy you had fun there!

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We booked the Moonrise due to its location to Washington University for move in weekend. Upon arrival, only one elevator was working making there be long delays going to and from our 4th floor room. As if that wasn't enough, the second elevator was non-functional on two other days making the stairs the only option. We have had an exhausting weekend moving in our college son and have had to come back to the hotel and walk 4 flights of stairs. I called today to request a discount on our $200/night room rate and was told that they would help me book another hotel but no discount would be provided. If we had known on the first day how many times the elevator would not be available, we would have tried to book elsewhere. Too bad they are losing potentially 4 years of business from this college student's family.

The hotel does several other things well:
1) The Eclipse Restaurant provided great service, food, and terrific coffee every morning at a reasonable cost.
2) The fun and funky rooftop bar serves terrific drinks with great service and views (but walking down 8 flights of stairs was not fun!)
3) The rooms are clean and comfortable.
4) The location is great.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CajuninOz

I am very to sorry to hear of the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. Being a new hotel just under 5 years of age it is inconceivable that something like this would transpire with our elevators, and should it, the fix would normally be minimal, however in this case there was an electrical surge from lightening that incapacitated both elevators. Having 24 hour repair service contracted did not aid us in this particular situation because both elevators required parts that had to be shipped in from overseas. It was the most unfortunate incident and I am so sorry for the inconveniences you and your family experienced. We have been in touch with most of our guests that stayed with us over that time period however there were a few that we were unable to reach due to the lack of contact information. I would like the chance to speak with you directly so as to provide some type of compensation or assist you with a return reservation, if I may ask of you to contact me directly it would be greatly appreciated
314-721-1111. I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,