“Great for WUSTL students and families”

and 1 more site!
Charles F. Knight Executive Education & Conference Center
Ranked #69 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Center does not look like a hotel from the outside, but our room was very nice, especially for the price, which was discounted because our daughter is a student at WUSTL med school. The center is near the undergrad campus, which is best if you have a car. It's between Metro stops Big Bend and Skinker. Our view looked out onto construction, and I'm not sure when that will be completed. The reservation included a nice, free breakfast, featuring waffles, oatmeal and real maple syrup in little personal-sized jars. We also got a 2-for-1 coupon to the pub, but not for weekends. There were rooms for conference meetings, which had computers and printers, so I could print out my boarding pass, and there was a small workout room. However, there was no hotel gift shop, and it was a fairly long walk to any shopping area. The front desk people were very nice and one of them even lent me her umbrella for a walk when all the hotel umbrellas had been borrowed. Mostly, I'd say the price for what you get was the big selling point.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not look out onto the construction!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed April 13, 2013

This hotel is part of the Wash U executive conference center. Situated at the edge of the beautiful campus the facilities are excellent- on a par with international four star hotels. Well appointed rooms, great bath products, bathrobe and soft towels plus free wi fi, multiple tv channels and plenty of space to work in this is a good bet if you need to be at the University or on this side of town. A footbridge takes you to a range of restaurants and shops in Delmar. Meals are available at the center and breakfast is included. The service is excellent. Friendly, helpful staff. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I lived in St. Louis for several years and often go back to visit friends. My entire family was visiting for a weekend in October for a party and the hotel I booked originally oversold and they bumped us. Expedia called me and said they could put us up at the Knight Center. I wasn't familiar with the fact that Washington University had a hotel. As I mentioned, having lived in St. Louis, there are a lot more areas and places I WILL NOT stay than there are places I will stay. We lived in Ladue and I like to stay in the Clayton/Ladue area. I will not stay at any of the airport properties and we don't like to stay all the way downtown unless we are there for a baseball game - it is just too far. The hotels in downtown Clayton are just not that great. There are a couple of new ones (Homewood Suites and Spring Hill Suites) in Brentwood that are really nice and reasonably priced, but these usually book up well in advance. The Chase Park Plaza in Central West End is nice, but usually quite expensive.

Anyway, after a bit of research, I agreed to switch to the Knight Center. It was a great experience. The hotel is very quiet, the rooms are large, comfortable, and clean. The parking deck is very convenient to the lobby. They serve a nice continental breakfast and there is a bar in the building. I will definitely stay there again when I am back in town.

Room Tip: There was construction going on at Wash U (always) and the workmen got started obscenely early on Sa...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sarah C
Reviewed May 21, 2012

This is a great place to stay if you are visting Washu. Ross Hamilton is the manager and he is great, very helpful. Also good for the business traveler but about 20 minutes from downtown. Monday -Friday they have a small pub on site and snack room all the time. great breakfast in the morning. Each room is like being on a club floor.

Room Tip: Ask about special rates as a washu visitor
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mannaham
Reviewed January 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one night, 1/15/12, which was the holiday weekend. The lodging facility as well as the campus were very quiet (due in part to the holiday weekend, I assume). We went to a concert at the Pageant a couple of miles up the road and picked this place for the slightly lower rate, the expected peace, free breakfast, snacks and drinks on each floor and free internet. I was given security credentials for the Wi-Fi, but didn't see that option listed in my connections (just used the non-secured network). Parking was across the street in the garage and was free on Sunday, but not on Monday. I opted against the $6 parking pass for Monday assuming that, like many campus parking rules, the first ticket would be a warning. We checked out at noon and found no ticket (again, maybe because it was a holiday). The location was a bit tricky to find, but I blame my out-dated GPS on that. Breakfast was average, got the job done and was worth WAY more than we paid for it. I appreciated the professionalism of the staff. One maid in particular chased us down after we left because my wife had left her contour pillow behind. Took a walk through the campus as well as the neighborhoods just north of campus, both were beautiful. I would recommend this property based on my first experience there. We also recommend www.baileyschocolatebar.com for dinner and/or dessert. It was a 15 minute drive to get there.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank J-Rob W
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The rooms were very clean, good food in the "pub" style sports bar. Staff were very friendly and helpful. We were visiting the university for a campus tour/information special session and everyone was very helpful. Free breakfast and internet too though it would be nice if there were more places to sit for breakfast. The location is right on the campus and an easy walk to anywhere on campus and not far from Forest Park.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank DJM2320
Reviewed February 20, 2011

I'm a professional comedian, and I was performing at University of Washington. The Charles Knight conference center is located on the University campus. It was highly recommended to me by one of the students on the organizing committee for my show.

I checked out the website, and honestly I did not know what to expect. I called the hotel and spoke to a very, very nice gentleman named Brian, and his attitude and helpfulness convinced me – I honestly have never spoken to a nicer person at a hotel front desk in my life. Instead of the usual our policy is this or that, he seemed very flexible and willing to work with me if I needed to cancel the reservation.

One caveat – make sure you carry the hotel's phone number with you when you arrive. The reason being that all of the doors are locked, and it's impossible to get in, which is a little bit strange. I found this to be a little bit bizarre for a hotel – having no way to enter, and I almost lost my temper. Fortunately, I called the front desk and they came to let me in.

After this slightly inauspicious beginning, I have to tell you, I found this to be one of the most incredible hotel experiences in my life! When I checked in, the lady told me that there was a "pantry" on my floor in case I wanted a late-night snack. I checked it out, and I couldn't believe I was seeing. Pop tarts, cereals, Oreo cookies, granola bars, drinks, all completely free for the taking! I resisted the urge to be too greedy but I could see how somebody could be!

Funny thing was, I didn't see or hear anybody around, except for some people who were in a conference room...at 11 o'clock at night on a Thursday. Unlike many hotels, I had a wonderful sleep and didn't hear anybody yelling or screaming in the hallway all night.

I woke up and went down to breakfast, and saw the most amazing breakfast buffet, and the best part is that it's totally free! At this point I I'm starting to wonder how this place makes money! There were a lot of MBA looking types around, as this hotel is primarily a conference center for MBAs. There were some shared tables and I got to meet some nice people.

Even though I'm a comedian, I don't like to party on the road and I like to get to bed early. I was worried that there was going to be yelling and screaming and drunk students and all that nonsense but the people who are staying here are all professionals and thusly I had a fantastic night's sleep on both nights.

I explored the hotel a little bit more. Would you believe they have a free laundry for the guests? There are all kinds of conference rooms that are empty and open that you can use, with computers for printing anything you'd like, not just boarding passes, totally free! There is a very nice gym, but I was able to persuade the folks at the athletic complex to let me use it, and let me tell you they have everything you could imagine from an athletic standpoint, including Olympic size pool, basketball courts and a fantastic weight room.

After my workout, I returned to the hotel and saw a lunch buffet for $15 and plunked down my money and had the most magnificent all-you-can-eat lunch! And get this, you can't even tip the staff if you want to! At this time I'm thinking I have to pinch myself to believe this! I forgot to mention, wireless Internet access is completely free all around the hotel.

Add to this the fact that it's easy to get to this hotel from the airport by using the Metrolink train, which means you don't even have to rent a car which saves you money and helps the environment.

The Charles Knight Conference Center is truly a fantastic well-kept secret, and I wish that every hotel could be as wonderful. I have stayed in literally hundreds of hotels, and honestly this is the best experience I have ever had.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business