“Great location, great rooms, no pool” 5 of 5 stars

Ruth's Chris Package
Ranked #28 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Michigan
“Great location, great rooms, no pool”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

We just finished staying two nights at this hotel and it was great. After reading some of the negative reviews, I called the hotel before booking to check on the status of renovations. I was assured that all of the rooms that they were using were fully remodeled.

When we arrived we were impressed by the room. It was perfect...roomy, comfortable beds, beautiful bathroom, even a view of the river.

The location was excellent - across the street from the arch and within walking distance of many restaurants. The parking situation was much better than most hotels, with a parking lot just a block over that offered $8 weekday and $3 weekend rates (without in/out priveleges, but that was OK).

The only thing that would have made our stay better is if the pool would have been in operation. But if we were needing a few more nights in St Louis we'd try to stay at the same place. We got a great rate for a great room.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank CanuckInMichigan

Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

After booking this hotel I read many negative reviews on this site and was a little worried because my wife and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary at this hotel. All I can say is "WE WERE TREATED GREAT". Nothing that was written in the reviews that I read were evident in our stay. The hotel is under renovation but we did not notice much at all. The floor still under renovation was clearly marked in the elevators and the Hostess who checked us in stated that they do not rent any rooms that have not yet been renovated. She was very pleasant and helpful with everything from places to go eat and directions to local attractions. The room was very clean and was full of new furniture and fixtures. The bathroom had been renovated and had a very modern look with plenty of room and amenities. Our view from our room was fantastic. We looked to our left and saw the Gateway Arch and the riverfront and then to our right was a fantastic view of downtown St Louis, the Old Capitol building and Busch Stadium. We attended a Cardinal game while in St Louis and this hotel is in the perfect location for attending a game. It took us less than five minutes to walk to the ballpark. The hotel had a new Bar/Restaurant called the Brewhouse that opened the week we were there. For a newly opened establishment the staff never missed a beat. Our service was wonderful and the hostess and bartender were very attentive and made sure we had anything we needed. Overall I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay in downtown St Louis, both for its location and the service that the staff provides.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Tim041
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2009

Stayed at this hotel for a 3 day business meeting. The hotel is under renovation and the place was a mess. There was a leak in the bathroom ceiling, missing tiles, and a wastebasket full of water when I checked in. Took them 6 hrs to get someone up to fix and all they did was empty the wastebasket of water and stick in a new tile. They did not clean up. The hotel food was average and they nickel and dime you for everything. Coffee is $2.50 and you have to serve yourself. They charge a fortune for internet service (most hotel are free now). Poor experience.

• 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Austin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2009

High points - Friendliness of staff exceeded expectations, comfortable bed, room size, speed of elevators, break out snacks, buffet breakfast and lunches (food and service), speed of check-in for large groups, large shower, quiet rooms (never bothered by traffic or construction noise)

Disappointments - No drawers for clothing, on-going renovations caused for mis-direction and noise during meetings at times, no on-site gift/sundries shop (only a kiosk with very limited selection), no shuttle for airport or local attractions.

The renovation in the lobby area is major. Hammering and banging are frequent. I give the hotel credit for accommodating everyone as well a possible in spite of construction. However, this is temporary inconvenience as on-site restaurants, bars, business centers, and shops are closed or operating out of temporary locations. I look forward to an opportunity to experience this hotel post-construction.

All in all our large group was pleased with the meeting and lodging accommodations.

1 Thank Pangaea
Simsbury, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

I spent 5 nights at the Hyatt in St Louis as part of a convention. I had stayed here before when it was the Adam's Mark and was thrilled at the thought of returning to the hotel for it was one of my all time favorites. I was quite disappointed at what I found this time around.

But before I mention what disappointed me, I will say there are some positives about this hotel. First and foremost is it's location. My room overlooked the Arch and we were literally across the street from the park housing the Arch and the Mississippi River. The Old Courthouse was also right across the street.

Check-in was easy and the front desk staff very pleasant. My room was on the 7th floor and had been renovated. The king-sized bed was comfy enough with lots of pillows. I loved the flat-screen tv but found it very interesting that there was not a drawer to be had in the entire room. Part of the modern look they were going for meant streamlining everything. Storage consisted of opening a pair of doors under the tv set. One half contained two shelves and the other a large gap where it looked like a fridge used to live. Luckily I was on my own in the room - not sure how I would have shared that storage space.

The bathroom had also been redone and featured a glamorous shower stall - with an oversized shower head and big glass door.

The room was clean but getting it that way took most of the day every day. I would return to my room at 3, 4 or almost 5 pm to find it had yet to be serviced. One of my pet peeves is not getting my bed made. If I wanted an unmade bed, I would have stayed home :)

Since the hotel was under renovation the gift shop and both sports bar/restaurants were closed. There was a restaurant and bar in the lobby but it was unbelievably crowded with all those folks participating in the convention trying to get a drink before dinner.

The renovation also meant that half of the elevators were out of service - I had to leave my room at least 10 minutes early to guarantee getting to the lobby on time. The gym and the pool were also being renovated - although I didn't go to either place to check it out for myself.

I didn't eat at the hotel, but those who did found the breakfast buffet to be quite good. I don't eat much at breakfast so I opted against spending $14.95 from the buffet - I went to the diner around the corner or the St Louis Bread Company (Panera) instead.

2 Thank cab514
DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

The hotel's website tells you that the hotel is to be re-done and surprisingly at first look you didn't really see the work, except the lobby and main restaurant were overcrowded with chairs and tables to compensate for the closure of the other dining locations...but hey one can understand that. Later you began to see how the work and how the hotel is not really ready for occupancy. I booked two rooms at short notice for the Women's Final Four and was pleased with the price and availability...but wait to understand why the price was so "low"

The following problems were encountered:

1) My room was not clean when we checked in at 6pm and when I say not clean I mean the room had not been cleaned from the previous occupants....which was either full of kids or diabetics attempting suicide. The room was full of candy and food wrappers and the bed was disleveled. I called the front desk and they immediately came and cleaned it...additionally the hotel management apologized in person and later received a card again expressing their regret. So kudos for that.

2) The other room where my friends were staying was clean but only had a bed in the big room, no furniture whatsoever. It was really odd, so called the front desk and after we returned from dinner on our first night furniture had been placed in the room. Again they apologized and righted the wrong. I guess this room wasn't really ready to be rented.

3) On the first night and after dinner we discovered that our thermostat was broken and the air conditioning was running full bore. Had to call the front desk again and have it repaired. After call and complete repair of thermostat took 1 hour...but wait there is more.

4) In addition to the screwed up air conditioning, there was a clog in one of our sinks and we were unable to take a shower that first night. AGAIN I had to call the front desk and took them until the following morning to fix this.

Now I am willing to take one or two minor mistakes, but 4 within 24hours is way too much. We were given one free breakfast during our stay....but the overall impression was that the rooms we got were not ready for occupancy and were made available because of the Final Four tournament and an attempt to get more profit.

Overall, this hotel should not be stayed at until all work is done. Staff was friendly and responsive but definitely not ready for the number of guests that were present (the Women's Basketball Coaches' Association was staying there too).

The weird old historic theme in lobby and restaurant clashed with the attempted modernization of the rooms, which also had these extremely old telephones that did not work. You had to dial "0" to get anyone in the hotel except other rooms. I would not stay there again, however, I can't imagine going back to St. Louis....really dead town that rolls up the streets at night except during baseball games. The water was hot and good pressure...so I guess that is a plus.

No pool yet, fitness center in conference rooms while the gym is getting redone...again avoid until work is completely done.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank spreese
Champaign, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2009

I was very upset when we received a room at this hotel through Hotwire - but I think it is safe to say that this hotel is completely different than it was a year ago. The staff was so friendly and helpful - the rooms were very clean and brand new (yes, we had a renovated room). Our room was on the 12th floor with an Arch view. The room we had was small, but it was well decorated and the bathroom (esp the shower) was very nice. The renovations are slated to be complete in early summer - updated pool, a Starbucks, and a Ruth's Chris on site. If you had a bad experience a year ago I doubt you would recognize the hotel now!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple