“Fun on the Fourth”

Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch
Ranked #16 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Hyatt Regency is the perfect hotel to return to after viewing the fireworks on July 4th. I was so glad we were just across the street and could escape the crowds. The hotel is beautifully furnished, and the staff are very helpful and professional. The rooms have been remodeled with pleasing decor, but the plumbing is not up to par. All the shower heads and fixtures are "low flow", and you can barely get enough water to brush your teeth and wash the toothpaste down the drain. The toilet in our first room broke, and we had to be moved to another room. Also, they offer "green" service which is supposedly provided for those who are concerned about conserving the water it would take to clean your room--I think it is a way for the hotel to save money and hire fewer maids! My husband and boys enjoyed the workout room, but there was no pool, which was a disappointment. Also, not many family friendly restaurants in the area, no microwave in the room, and the refrigerator would barely keep our drinks cold. If you are well-to-do and can afford to pay $17 for breakfast, this is the place for you!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Hyatt-MGMT, Manager at Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Thank you for the feedback and 4-Star review robink827. If you do return to the hotel, please let us know and we can assist in finding a variety of family friendly restaurants that are not far away from the hotel. In the hotel we do have our own children inspired menu with a variety of options in both our Red and Brewhouse restaurants. Hopefully we can see you again soon to enjoy downtown St. Louis.

Kim.Halbrehder@Hyatt.com

Write a ReviewReviews (4,110)

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

The rooms and beds were nice and comfortable. The bathrooms gave been upgraded and are clean. The hallways are old and need to be redone. The common areas leading to your nice enough room send the wrong message! The location is good and non valet parking is available down the street. The hotel is close to attractions, especially pro sports.

• Stayed: July 2013
Hyatt-MGMT, Manager at Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you for the 4-Star review and your feedback Reddog2316! I will share your comments with our Housekeeping and Engineering management teams. I am sure we can do a better job and improve our hallway appearance. Please feel free to contact me directly if you need any additional assistance.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights at Hyatt this march. Fast Check-in, friendly staff. The room was spacious and always clean.The restaurant within the Hotel served great food by a very friendly waiter. Starbucks in the hotel - loved it. This hotel is in the center of the city. Directly in front of the Hyatt is the Arch, the Rams stadium on the one side and the Cardinals stadium on the other are just a couple of minutes walking away.
It seems the Hyatt was sold out at the time I been there:Fitness studio was twice overcrowded and needed to wait to get a free slot on treadmill. Long lines in the morning for breakfast. Got used in Hyatt's to pay additionally for Internet.

Next time in St. Louis I will return. I very much enjoyed my stay even with the small drawbacks I mentioned.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for the recommendation and 4-Star review Tim O. We do have a great location and our Starbucks is definitely a popular destination for our guests. Please make sure to check out our Brewhouse restaurant with a returning visit, it’s a great place to get a beer while watching the game! If you decide to book and need assistance or have a question, please let me know.

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

I write reviews when I have a bad experience or a good one. This was bad.

Complete cluster checking in - forced to do $30/day valet. Two days later when I checked out, it took about 30 mins for the car to be pulled around. What a joke.

Room not ready - got very small room with view of river.

Room clean (if you don't inspect corners, shower etc)...if I had to guess they cut cleaning staff when they instated program where you must request fresh linens and towels or else you keep the ones you have.

No room service menu. There is room service but our room didn't have a menu.

Good location - bad value. I'll take my business elsewhere next time. May never stay at a Hyatt again.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for the feedback giner0831. I would like to personally apologize for the poor experience you recently had at our hotel. Over the holiday weekend self-parking spots in the downtown area were very limited. In order to guarantee spots for our guests we provide valet parking as an option. With the street closures and increased traffic, getting the vehicle to our guest took more time. I hope you consider this if deciding to come back. Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any other questions or concerns.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed her for cards game and everything was perfect. Valet to beds all was great. This hotel is in walking distance of river front and ballpark. The Arch was our view out the window . what a great way to wake up.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for the enthusiastic 5-Star review Raguccl! The Cardinal's have had a great run of wins and we are fortunate to have a great location near the Stadium. Hopefully your travels bring you back to see the Cardinals win another game and for you to stay at our hotel!

Reviewed July 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hyatt over the Fourth of July weekend, from Tuesday the 2nd through Saturday the 6th. We'd originally planned to stay through Sunday but left a day early to get a day's jump on the drive.

We arrived before things got busy, and had reserved a king room, and we were given a corner upgraded suite on the 11th floor (1160). Dave checked us in and was both kind and helpful and we were on our way. The room was very spacious, with a recently upgraded bathroom and a walk-in closet. (!) I have not had a walk in closet in a hotel room. We could easily see the park in front of the old capitol building, and with a big lean, the ballpark. There were two chairs (though no foot rest) and a flat screen TV. The mattress was very comfortable.

All the good stuff first. This was a super busy, Fourth of July weekend, and every member of the staff was ready for the crowds. And boy were there crowds! We could walk everywhere - from the fireworks and air show at the Arch, to the ballpark, to restaurants, pretty much everywhere. The guest services staff was ready with information about parking and parades (we had to move our car out one night to another garage because we would have been locked into the garage - which they comped via reducing one night's valet). For the fireworks, we just hopped right out the front doors and into the street to watch, then watched all the other folks in gridlock traffic for two hours trying to get home.

We booked the breakfast package and did eat downstairs in the restaurant, Red Kitchen. The breakfast buffet was more than adequate, and regular price was $16.95. It was very convenient to hop down to the breakfast area to eat.

Now I have to give a shout out to two of the best and most professional hostesses I have ever had the pleasure to see in action. Kaleha and Brandy. Kaleha was at the hostess stand, and there was a long line of people of all ages and combinations waiting for a table. I watched as she made effective small talk with each one, laughing and joking, and really engaging each party. Brandy was seating the parties that Kaleha had already warmed up, and continued the chatting as she sat each group. In my experience, many hostesses are snooty or really are not anything but the gatekeepers to the restaurant, but these two ladies were phenomenal and are a real asset to the hotel.

I also want to give a shout out to Andrea at guest services, and Chris who was one of the managers at the front desk. We had a couple of billing glitches that he was quick to fix and I watched him go smoothly from party to party and rep to rep, making sure that everyone's experience was perfection.

Now to the drawbacks:

First drawback: there was one dresser-TV stand combo piece of furniture, with three 2-foot square baskets for storage. One basket had a keyboard in it and some paperwork/reading material, which left two baskets to hold all our folding stuff for a five-night stay. There were seven hangars in the closet, which we used to hang our hanging stuff, but the folded stuff ended up either on the shelf in the closet or still in our suitcases. For a longer-than-one-night stay, there is not enough drawer space.

Second drawback: internet is not free. In the hotel room notebook, there is a message from the manager about internet and parking. This tells me the hotel gets a lot of feedback (negative) about both. I don't have an issue with Valet - they were great, $26 a day, a guaranteed space over the holiday and in and out privileges - those valets really hump it. But let's talk about internet. Hyatt, it's ridiculous that a $300 a night hotel room doesn't come with free internet. Bite the bullet; lesser hotels in less than stellar locations at half the price offer free internet. So does Starbucks, Chick-Fil-A, and most everywhere else.

Last drawback: Carpet. The rooms are great. The lobby is great. The carpets in the common areas (hallways, elevators) are nasty. Like I don't want to walk on them in my bare feet because they look wet nasty. When we got off the elevator on the 11th floor on the way to the room the first time, I was really worried that we'd gotten ourselves into trouble. The room was happily great, but the hallway carpet is in terrible need of replacement.

Even these small drawbacks were not enough to detract from our overall visit. We would definitely stay again, and would highly recommend this hotel for July 4th or to see the downtown area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the great review and acknowledgement of several of our staff member’s wrensaver! I have shared your feedback with several of our hotel managers; it’s always great to hear when we are able to do provide exceptional service when it is very busy. Your concerns with the hallway carpet are being addressed. We are in the process of having our hallway carpets cleaned. Hopefully we can see you again next year during the 4th of July!

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed at this location for 4 nights at the end of June on a business trip. I received great service at every point in the hotel - check in, at the restaurants on the property and for room service. My room was very nice and it looked like the bathroom had been refurbished recently. I had a great view of the Arch from my room as well; it was quite beautiful!

Unlike many hotels, this one has several good choices for eating. There is a Starbucks, a sports bar, a nice restaurant called RED and a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. I ate at all of them, with the exception of the steakhouse (not really "my kind" of food), and had wonderful food at each - including room service for dinner one evening! The service was also top-notch at each location and each employee seemed to strive to create great experience. There is also a sundries shop where you can buy snacks, drinks, souvenirs, and items you may have forgotten.

The hotel is probably the closest one to the St. Louis Arch - it is about one block away, so the location is perfect and you can easily walk to the Arch.

The only downside was the fact that the hotel sits next to a busy freeway and it was very loud in my room. I had trouble sleeping for the first evening for this reason. The second night I found a "white noise" app and downloaded it to my phone and played it loudly each night so I could sleep; problem solved. So, if you stay at this hotel and think the noise may bother you, I recommend bringing a white noise machine or downloading a white noise app to your phone; otherwise, I had a great stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for the great review and feedback on our restaurants simpletraveler401! I appreciate your acknowledgement of our completed renovation. Make sure to visit us again and come during a Cardinal's game, it’s a lot of fun and it truly changes the downtown environment.