“Hyatt STL at The Arch-great for baseball fans”

Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch
Ranked #16 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 7, 2013

May 2013 weekend stay downtown for a function/STL Cardinals baseball game the next day. The Hyatt is a short walk from Busch Stadium (2 blocks) and The Arch (across the street).

According to Hyatt's website, this property has 910 rooms and was BOOKED SOLID during our stay. We arrived at 3:45pm on Sat afternoon and a room wasn't available for us until 5:30pm (the desk agent upgraded our room to a mini suite and gave us a small food/beverage credit on our tab to be used while we waited-nice gesture). That's the only negative we experienced and the desk took great care of us!

We've stayed at The Hyatt several times in the past few years-there are several different room sizes (the regular King rooms are TINY. Upgrade to more space-it's worth it). This is a fairly large hotel that is usually hosting multiple functions at once (our weekend there was a high school prom, corporate formal function, and a huge wedding the same night). They have several "function" spaces that can accommodate groups well-keep in mind check-in/check-out can become CRAZY since there are so many folks at the desk at once.

The Hyatt has a nice sports bar that's open late-ish and also an "upscale" restaurant "Red Kitchen" that also has a nice bar area. The Regency Club offers snacks and sodas to Regency Room guests during "Happy Hour."The best way to park here is to valet-there is a garage next door for self parking is you choose to do so.

Room Tip: Upgrade from a "regular" room-they are quite small. If you're a first-timer to STL, re...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hyatt-MGMT, Manager at Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

Thank you for the 4-Star review McBizzle1! It’s great to hear that our Front Office team was able to assist you after your wait for a room to check in too. We are a popular destination hotel and are very busy throughout the entire spring, summer and fall seasons. Please make sure to book ahead of time to secure a great rate. Please let me know if I can assist in booking a future stay for you.

Kim.Halbrehder@Hyatt.com

Write a ReviewReviews (4,138)

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel location is very convenient close to the Arch and calm area. Not enough restaurants and options in the hotel and very few in walking distance. Staff very helpful and friendly.
I had some nice view from the room. the rooms are spacious and comfortable. it is walking distance from many attractions worth seeing in the down town area.

Room Tip: upper rooms for a better view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for the 4-Star review lelou18! Please contact the concierge or I for more dining options in the downtown area. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to personally assist you.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I spent one night at the Hyatt Regency while attending a business meeting in the hotel. My room was a Deluxe King on the top floor, and it was palatial. Huge space, loads of comfortable seating, expansive bathroom. The bed was quite comfy. I was feeling under the weather, so it was a great place to have my longest sleep in months. Nice view of the Arch, which is literally across the street from the hotel. So very happy with the room. But other aspects of the hotel were less inspiring. it felt like a bit of a maze, and the public 'hang out' spaces were limited for a hotel of its size. The breakfast was a disappointment - not because it was poor, but because of the pricing. $5 for a cup of basic drip coffee -- c'mon. Better to skip that and get a coffee at the Starbucks on the other side of the lobby.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for the 4-Star review CPtraveller! It’s great to hear you had such a fantastic room. There are a variety of more economical options located fairly close to the hotel, please make sure to ask our concierge if you do return. I hope we see you again at the Hyatt St. Louis!

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Oh, man, the Hyatt at the Arch...there is so much to like about staying here. Okay, first of all, if you are either looking for a hotel close to the Arch or you need to be downtown for business or to be close to a game, this is hotel is a great choice...especially for the price. (If you want to stay closer to Clayton or Forest Park, choose the Moonrise). Here are a few reasons why I love the Hyatt at the Arch:

-The fitness room. Best in-hotel gym I have ever used. Although, I have to say that half the time I don't manage to get around to taking a glimpse of the gym at the hotels at which I stay. Chilled towels to cool you down after a jog on the treadmill.
-The sports bar downstairs. This place has some pretty good food and great bartenders.
-Ruth's Chris!!! Oh...my...goodness. Who DOESN'T love Ruth's Chris? Melt-in-your mouth goodness. And great bar.
-Starbucks inside hotel. Enough said.
-Best view of the arch you can get from inside a hotel. It's worth it to get an arch-view room.
-Quiet rooms (as in well-insulated). The caveat to this is if you are in an adjoining room. If you want to ensure quietness, ask for a non-adjoining room.
-Metrolink can take you pretty close to the Hyatt from the airport so no need to rent a car (unless you are traveling after dark. I don't feel too safe in the Metrolink after it gets too late).
-Not far from the Four Seasons, where you don't have to be a guest to use the spa (and they can have good deals).
-Andrea (I believe she is a concierge) is the epitome of good hospitality.

Like most hotels, there are a couple of flaws:
-Rooms could be cleaner. This is a recurring problem in St. Louis hotels. I did need to ask for my sheets to be changed once because the cleanliness was questionable. (If I had written my review that night, I probably would not be giving this hotel 4 stars. But I am averaging my scores over the course of several stays).
-If you have an issue later at night with whatever, the night staff is not the best and it might not get taken care of.
-Room service is too pricy, compared to other hotels in town.

Anyway, to sum up, if you are looking to stay downtown and can't afford the Westin or Four Seasons (I haven't been to the St. Louis ones, but hear they're great), I think this is a solid pick.

Room Tip: Don't miss Ruth's Chris!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for the 4-Star review and recognition of Andrea our concierge Lisa V! I will make sure to pass your feedback on to our hotel. I apologize for your concerns with housekeeping; I will make sure we address these with the management team. Please let me know if there is anything I can personally do to assist you on a returning visit.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

The Hyatt is located across the street from the Arch and just a few blocks away from the Metro. The hotel was clean and our room was spacious, included 2 double beds for me, spouse and teen. The room also had a table, 2 chairs, flat screen TV, fridge, desk and spacious bathroom. The hotel layout was a little confusing, getting to room 1642. A safe was located in the closet. 2 sinks, one in bathroom, one outside worked well for us. The amenities were nice, but nothing very special. A coffee service was also in the room.
Storage was an issue with 3 little baskets in the cabinet which held the fridge and had the TV on top. An. Odd little ottoman sat near the door.
We had trouble checking in as the hotel had the wrong first name on the reservation. I had a copy of the reservation so the front desk finally decided they could give me the room, but didn't ask for any identification (later telling me if they had, they would not have been able to give me a room as the first name was wrong). Given I had a document with my name, address and booking number which matched my identification, I was annoyed. The front desk did nothing to verify my identity. The other item which had me question security was witnessing a teenager go to front desk and say he lost his room key. He was given one without producing any identification. They checked to see his name was in the room, but given the convention in town, my teen could have done the same thing by finding out who was in what room.
Another downside was the safe still locked when we got in the room. We were told the next morning to call security to open it. Didn't have time so it was still locked when we left.
The place was fine for what it was, but I likely won't stay there again when I come to town, wanting to try a property which takes security more seriously.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for the feedback Travelizgood. I have spoken with our Front Office Manager and Director of Security about your comments. We will address proper procedures with our staff. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Almost, but not quite, average room for price. Fabulous view of Arch with $50 upgrade. But $9.95 for WIFI in room? Really? Come on Hyatt you can do better than that! Not staying here again until they include WIFI (just like Super 8, Holiday Inn and just about every other hotel from 1-5 stars in the world)

Room Tip: Arch view at 11th floor or higher. Great view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the feedback jimloveshawaii. In order to provide acceptable bandwidth to our guests we do charge for internet access in our guest rooms. Complimentary access is available wireless in our lobby. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for a couple of days and everything went great. The room I stayed in, doubld bed, was huge. The largest I've seen in a long time. Bathroom was a decent size, all clean. Staff were very helpful and polite. Breakfast lacked some choices, like salads and such and a better bakery selection. The hotel has a pretty nice gym. Location wise I was pleased. But if you want nightlife, it's not there. The baseball stadium, the arch, the old courthouse and a couple of places to eat, that's pretty much all you'll find there. The park where the arch is, is great for jogging or just getting some fresh air.

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you for the 4-Star review LiviaDrusilla11. Its great to hear that you had an enjoyable experience in our hotel! Near the hotel there are a variety of areas you can visit to have fun after hours. Please contact a concierge or me directly for options.