“Nice hotel but misleading / deceptive room rate practice”

Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch
Ranked #17 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Williamsport, Pennsylvania
“Nice hotel but misleading / deceptive room rate practice”
Reviewed August 2, 2011

This hotel is in a nice location, and the facility itself was wonderful. What has me unwilling to stay there again, or other Hyatt properties if they have the same practices, is that the hotel rate cited on my check in slip from the kiosk, was not what I was ultimately charged. I was charged for an upgrade that nearly doubled my room rate. When I questioned this post-checkout (I had requested and received the bill by email), I was told that since I requested an available upgrade when I made my reservation, and was given the upgrade, I was being charged for it. I asked why the rate wasn't presented with other details provided during checkin, and I was told that they don't publish the rate there, they send a voice-mail to your room, to provide that information. (The slip identified the room number, room type, and the fact that the room key works for both the room and the lounge -- it seems that the only information not presented, was the rate they intended to charge). This seems like the most misleading hidden cost practice I've seen in my travels.

Since I know that these upgrades are frequently given free of charge, I assumed that was the case. I didn't question it, since the rate was clearly printed on my checkin slip.

I'm not sure if fraudulent is the right way to describe their handling, but misleading is likely too kind a choice of words.

I talked with someone at the hotel by phone, and the person refused (on behalf of her manager) to make good on the rate specified on my checkin slip. I intend to make a more formal complaint to the Hyatt organization. Disappointing, considering that everything else about the stay was good to great.

Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Hyatt-MGMT, Manager at Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
I am very sorry for the misinformation and lack of follow-up you've received with your rate issue. Please contact me at your earliest convenience so I can discuss this matter with you personally.

Unfortunately the way our kiosk works it will only show you the base rate on your check-in slip and not any additional charges. If you bill parking or internet to your room - or in you case - a room upgrade, the charge is not visible on the kiosk printout. I definitely see your frustrations and would like you to give us the opportunity to work out a solution.

The kiosks are a new feature in a lot of hotels, and while they are convenient and user-friendly, certainly some personal touches can be missed during a kiosk check in versus an interaction with a front desk representative. Thank you for your review and for bringing this issue to our attention, I look forward to speaking with you.

Christopher.Palid@hyatt.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (721)
  • Korean first
Mount Vernon, Illinois
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We really loved the Hotel. Nice and quiet, which is what we needed and the rooms are nice and spacious and very clean. Staff was all helpful and friendly. Price is very affordable. We were in St Louis to celebrate our upcoming anniversary and visited the Ruth Chirs' Steak House. Excellent and they made our evening very special!! This Hotel gets a 10 in our books!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Hyatt-MGMT, Manager at Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch, responded to this review, August 5, 2011
Congratulations on the upcoming anniversary, and thank you for spending your spending your special occasion with us. Ruth’s Chris does a fantastic job with special occasions, we’re proud to have them in our hotel. Please let us know if you plan to celebrate your next special occasion with us, we’d love to do anything we can to make your day memorable.

Reviewed August 1, 2011

We were just driving through and really excited for a nice bed to lay our heads for the night. It is always so nice to walk into a beautifully decorated room, with an outrageously comfortable bed and a breath taking view. This hotel is wonderful, everything I expect from a hyatt. Parking was a little awkward because we do have a trailer and we needed a double space to park the car. The parking manager found us a spot for only $8 dollars, saving us a total of $60 we would have had to pay otherwise. Really, the service is wonderful and the price can not be beat!!!

• Stayed July 2011
Hyatt-MGMT, Manager at Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
We appreciate your review and great comments about our staff. I will be sure to share your comments with members of the transporation department. Please contact me if you have any additional comments or questions.

Chicago, IL
Reviewed August 1, 2011

My brother and I had a very pleasant stay at this hotel. Location was great, room was clean, staff was very friendly. Price was a bit high and we weren't aware that there would be an extra cost to park the car. Overall it was nice and we recommend it to our friends and family and would stay there again if we travel back to St. Louis, MO.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank 01worldtraveler
Thank you for staying with us and for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your visit and that you would recommend our hotel to your friends and family. Just one quick note - our hotel offers an "economy parking" lot that is located 1.5 blocks away in the Mansion House garage. The pricing is deeply discounted at $8 for weekdays and $3 for weekends. Please contact me if there is anything I can do to make your next stay even better.

Rogersville, Missouri
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Stayed at the Hyatt for our anniversary and wanted a nice room with a view and it definatly exceeded our expectations. Beautiful view of the arch and partial view of the baseball stadium that was easy walking distance to, also walked to the arch, union station and lots of eating places. The room was very clean and the bed was very comfy. The staff was very polite (especially Laura R.) and truly made our anniversary special. Breakfast was good but very busy but it was baseball weekend. Hope to go and do it all again.

Room Tip: Room 1402 was an awsome room that was the corner room with awsome views
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Happy anniversary! We appreciate you spending your special day with us, and we're glad we could be a part of your memorable weekend. We hope you spend many more anniversaries at the Hyatt. Please contact me directly at the hotel if you are coming again for any special occasion, we love to see what we can do to exceed your expectations.

Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I thought this would be a good choice for my family's 2-day stay in St. Louis since we were planning to visit the Arch and go to a Cardinals game. The location was excellent, just across the street from the Arch and only a few minutes walk to the stadium. However that is about the only positive. In addition to the rate for the room, you must pay $21.00 per day to park your car in the hotel garage. A sign in the garage says to let the front desk know you are parked below to get a card for in/out privileges. When we told the girl at the desk she just looked at us and said, "ok", but never gave us the card. When we asked about a room with a view of the arch she told us she had those rooms, for an extra $30 per day. There was a long line to speak to the concierge to ask for directions, so we thought we would go to our room and mapquest it. Want to use the internet in your room? Sure, for an extra $12.95 per day. How about let the kids watch the Disney channel on TV while you're deciding where to go for dinner? Yes, for an additional $9.95 per day. No pool to keep them happy either. The second day we returned to the garage being full and we had to drive to a lot 15 minutes away and walk back. We were tired from walking all day being "tourists" so we were looking forward to getting back to our room. Not only had the maids not replaced the towels for a shower, they had not changed the sheets or even bothered to pull up the old sheets and make the bed. We found a note later in the bathroom that said you must call the desk to ask for these services. We've had better service in 2-star hotels, and for a lot less money. Next time we will stay somewhere with free parking, internet, tv, and breakfast.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Lovemyboys842
I am very sorry that you had issues with parking and housekeeping during your visit with us. Clearly we did not provide you the service that we strive to provide. If you could please contact me at the hotel at your earliest convenience, I would like to see if there is anything I can do to make this right for you.

We do offer discounted room packages that include internet and breakfast, however you may be interested in our "Welcome Credit" package on your next visit. If you stay for 2 nights we put a credit on your room for $75, $125 for a 3 night stay, and $150 for a 4 night stay. This room credit can be used for breakfast, parking, internet, food and drink, or any other charge within the hotel.

Again, I am very sorry for the issues you experienced, and I look forward to speaking with you.

United States
Reviewed July 29, 2011

The hotel is literally in front of the Arch and we were there during the Marine week celebrations so there was always something to watch outside the window (we had a view of the Trch). The service was efficient and friendly in the all American way and there was a Starbucks connected right to the lobby. They had all the expected hotel amenities from soap, shampoo, frig and tv in the room to business center and fitness center and their restaurants were pretty good. If you go to the one inside hotel for breakfast, get the breakfast buffet, they cook up a mean omelet.

Overall, this hotel is a clean cut, standard professional hotel with a great location - the kind you want to be in when you're looking for all the conveniences, not so much a unique experience. We'd definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Get one with a view to the Arch.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Hyatt-MGMT, Manager at Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
Thank you so much for your review. Marine Week in St. Louis was a blast - the activities and shows were a lot of fun, and as a city we loved the opportunity to host and honor our Marines for their service. We're glad you enjoyed your visit, and we look forward to having you as our guest if you return to St. Louis.