“Lord Forgive Me for being hungry...”

Missouri Baking Company
Ranked #1 of 89 Dessert in Saint Louis
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Parking Available, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: The Hill
Dickson, Tennessee
“Lord Forgive Me for being hungry...”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Lord forgive me for going into that place hungry... EVERYTHING you can imagine freshly baked and calling my name...This put a new meaning to the old phrase "Bite Me". I left this WONDERFUL place smelling of fresh baked cookies and wiping the glaze from my mouth. I was glad someone was able to get the door opened for me, as both arms were loaded with carry out boxes to take back to Nashville and freeze for later enjoyment. This place IS A MUST.

Visited October 2013

Moweaqua, IL
“Awesome Bakery!”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Never miss these folks! Great bakery items but be prepared to take a number and wait-it's that good. Take a cooler to take LOTS home

Visited September 2013
McKinney, TX
“Everything is great.”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This is a bakery like we used to have in Brooklyn. Even if you are traveling you must stop for a treat. Disneyland for cake lovers.

Visited August 2013
Chesterfield, Missouri
“I hate to tell you my secret”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The Missouri Baking Company has been an anchor of the St. Louis Hill for at least one half a century. They have developed the art of Italian Baking to that of an old world master. The creamy interior is matched with a crispy chewy crust that makes the loaves the best in the city.

Whether eaten with butter (never margarine) or used to soak up a wonderful gravy, the breads and rolls (merkeets) are the best I have ever eaten.

The crown jewel of the Italian breads is the Shampa (horns of the devil). This uniquely shaped bread has 4 vertical horns in the middle and what appears to be two hoagie shaped pieces on the two ends. While my description does not do the Shampa justice, if you are lucky enough to get to the bakery before they sell out, buy one or two.

Now for the Stu secret, which I really don't want to give out. Call the day before your trip and ask the wonderful folks at the bakery to but a couple of Shampa breads aside for you. That way if you arrive and are lucky enough to find a parking space within a block or two of the bakery a prize awaits you once you arrive.

Now that I have given you my family secret, here is the other one. Order ricotta cannoli at the same time. If you like small round bread get some merkeets.

The Italian cookies are always in plentiful supply so wait and select what you want until you get there.

Don't visit on a Saturday after 11 a.m., the place is overflowing with devotees, who have been known to fanatically rush the doors and can be unruly (that isn't true, but I want to have room to get into the bakery so I am trying to scare you off.)

It was very easy three days ago to spend $30.00 cash (no credit cards at Missouri Bakery) on those items I dearly love.

• Visited July 2013
Quincy, Illinois
“Always on our list”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

When we visit St Louis we always try to get to the Hill. This bakery is the best and freshest in St Louis. The staff is always helpful and very patient when we are trying to make up our minds. You need to stop here.

• Visited May 2013