“I hate to tell you my secret”

Missouri Baking Company
Ranked #1 of 89 Dessert in Saint Louis
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Parking Available, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: The Hill
Chesterfield, Missouri
“I hate to tell you my secret”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The Missouri Baking Company has been an anchor of the St. Louis Hill for at least one half a century. They have developed the art of Italian Baking to that of an old world master. The creamy interior is matched with a crispy chewy crust that makes the loaves the best in the city.

Whether eaten with butter (never margarine) or used to soak up a wonderful gravy, the breads and rolls (merkeets) are the best I have ever eaten.

The crown jewel of the Italian breads is the Shampa (horns of the devil). This uniquely shaped bread has 4 vertical horns in the middle and what appears to be two hoagie shaped pieces on the two ends. While my description does not do the Shampa justice, if you are lucky enough to get to the bakery before they sell out, buy one or two.

Now for the Stu secret, which I really don't want to give out. Call the day before your trip and ask the wonderful folks at the bakery to but a couple of Shampa breads aside for you. That way if you arrive and are lucky enough to find a parking space within a block or two of the bakery a prize awaits you once you arrive.

Now that I have given you my family secret, here is the other one. Order ricotta cannoli at the same time. If you like small round bread get some merkeets.

The Italian cookies are always in plentiful supply so wait and select what you want until you get there.

Don't visit on a Saturday after 11 a.m., the place is overflowing with devotees, who have been known to fanatically rush the doors and can be unruly (that isn't true, but I want to have room to get into the bakery so I am trying to scare you off.)

It was very easy three days ago to spend $30.00 cash (no credit cards at Missouri Bakery) on those items I dearly love.

• Visited July 2013

Quincy, Illinois
“Always on our list”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

When we visit St Louis we always try to get to the Hill. This bakery is the best and freshest in St Louis. The staff is always helpful and very patient when we are trying to make up our minds. You need to stop here.

Chicago, Illinois
“Best bakery in St. Louis...”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I grew up going to this bakery. Our favorites are the Chocolate Drops (obviously), cheesecake, and cheese danishes, although I will say that I've never had anything from here that wasn't amazing. I also love the small, family feel of this bakery.

1 Thank bellamoon0722
Cudjoe Key
“Very Nice Bakery”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Every time I visit the Hill I stop here. Their cookies are so fresh and delicious; especially the gooey butter cookies. The pound cakes are yummy too. The only thing I would not order again is the canolli's. I was not a fan of theirs. Also, if you want to use a bank card be prepared to pay an extra buck and a half to do so. Very strange.

Visited June 2013
Ozark, Missouri
“The Best!”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Anytime we are in STL, we visit The Hill. Missouri Baking Co. is always one of our stops. I have never tried anything I didn't like! My personal favorite is the cannoli. Seriously, SO GOOD!!! Baklava and biscotti are also delicious. If you are on The Hill, you can't miss it!!