“Neat experience”

Omnimax Theater
Ranked #17 of 61 Fun & Games in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Saint Louis Science Center's OMNIMAX Theater features IMAX Dome technology, presenting a variety of science, nature and feature films under a 79-foot tilted hemispheric screen, placing show-goers in the middle of the action.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Stroller parking, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We visited the Omnimax theatre with our kids over Memorial Day weekend. It is located within the St. Louis Science Center. The cost is $9 for adults, and $8 for children, but you can find buy one get one discount coupons on various websites. The theatre itself is impressive. You watch the movie on a screen that covers the entire dome and I believe they said it was five stories high. Sit towards the top or you will be stretching your neck the entire time. It can be a bit intense, so sometimes I had to look away from the screen for a bit. They usually have two selections playing at various times throughout the day. We chose Air Racers because it was playing in the next 15 minutes. To see the other movie (Flight of the Butterflies), we would have had to wait another two and a half hours. We have three girls, ages 12, 7, and 5. They were really bored with the air racer movie and would have definitely liked the butterfly movie better. It's fun to experience, but just make sure you go to a movie everyone will enjoy.

1  Thank worknschoolmom23

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have been to this once to see and under the sea show narrated by Jim Carrey. Although it hurt neck a little to look up all the time, the show was cool and the sounds and graphics rocked.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We are members of the Science Center and go often to the Omnimax theater for IMAX shows. My kids love it. My wife and kids recently went to the planetarium as well and gave great reviews about it.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

The omnimax theater - it is especially great for action movies. The planetarium is great place to learn and enjoy information for the planets and space. Kids will enjoy this.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Obviously this isn't the place to go to watch your typical movie. You have to be in the mood for a "documentary like" movie which I enjoy doing now and then. I love the venue, I enjoy supporting the science center and there's just nothing quite like the sound system of the omnimax theater.