“No Wheelchair User Access”
Review of Old Courthouse

Old Courthouse
Ranked #15 of 273 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Explore a significant part of U.S. history when you visit the Old Courthouse, which was built between 1839 and 1862. Tour this architectural masterpiece with restored courtrooms and experience a time and place where Dred and Harriet Scott sued for their freedom and Virginia Minor fought for women’s right to vote. Through special exhibits, learn about St. Louis’ role in early settlers’ movement into western America. At the Old Courthouse Gift Shop, choose from a wide selection of books, videos, apparel and educational toys related to St. Louis and African-American history. Located just two blocks from the Arch (7 blocks walking distance during construction), the Old Courthouse is serving as the temporary Ticketing and Visitor Center for the Gateway Arch during construction.
Reviewed June 19, 2013

"Access" for wc users via exterior lift adjacent to open stairs. Location and operation of lift poorly marked and not ADA compliant. Lift did not work for me this afternoon and I was stranded for several minutes until a staffer came to my rescue. He indicated the lift has been a "problem for a long time." Bottom line--I couldn't get in, so can't review the venue. NEEDS SERIOUS ADA COMPLIANCE HELP!

1  Thank Gary M

Reviewed June 7, 2013

This was my second visit to the Old Courthouse. The first time was 5 years ago with my 2nd grade daughter and my mother-in-law. On that visit, my daughter participated in the Junior Ranger program and earned a badge. It was a great "scavenger hunt" that, besides the history of the Dred Scott case, also had us looking at the architecture! We all really enjoyed it and paid more attention to the building than we would have otherwise. In fact, I almost wish we would have picked up a guide today so we would have had that as a learning tool!

Both times, we started with the approximately 15 minute video about the Dred Scott case. It is very informative and interesting.

Very enjoyable and such a piece of history. And, we've been staying nearby and there is a family of rabbits living on the ground that we've enjoyed checking on each night. There are five cute little baby bunnies and you can even see down the rabbit hole! An added bonus!

Reviewed June 7, 2013

a perfect building to show that you're in St. Louis! Whenever you come downtown and see the Old Courthouse, a great atmosphere and lovely walk around down town!

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Definitely put the Old Courthouse on your things to see. It only takes about an hour and is well worth the experience. There was some big national history made in the court house. I will let everyone read for themselves. The dome there and in Washington were started at the same time and this one was finished first. Be sure and check out the inside of the dome, old circuit courts upstairs, and the brave can go to the upper levels.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

The Old Courthouse has a museum dedicated to the history of St. Louis from it's founding to present. The display is compact, but highly informative. Each room (four) depicts a specific era of St. Louis history, including timelines that take you through the cities evolution.