“Very confusing!”

Museum of Westward Expansion
Ranked #68 of 254 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum chronicles the hardships encountered during the overland migration of the 19th century, which shaped the American West.
Columbus, Ohio
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Very confusing!”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

This museum is laid out in a confusing and so not user friendly way. I attempted to do the Junior Ranger questions with my 9 year old son, and we were so confused. The questions made no sense and focused on peace medals instead of the bigger picture of "Westward Expansion". I had to give my son my version of what the museum should have been about. This museum was not fun and left me dazed and confused. I'm glad it was free because to pay money for it would have been even more disappointing. Don't waste more then 15 minutes of your time here if you even go at all!

Visited July 2013

Mount Juliet, Tennessee
194 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 156 helpful votes
“Not Again”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I felt like I spent more time trying to figure out what I was looking at and how it fit into the whole thing. Not a lot of labels, a lot of quotes by people on the walls that dont really make sense to what its surrounded by I understand you have limited space but put it in some kind of order. I felt again confused and unsure of what it was I was looking at and how it fit into what was going on around it. I really like museums this just wasnt one of the better ones I went to. It needs to flow a whole lot better than it did. I do understand that yes it is free but that doesnt give a reason to confuse people or leave them wondering what it is they just saw.

Visited July 2013
Ankeny, Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Disappointingly bad, but free”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I like museums and always make a point to seek out some of the better ones on our vacations. This was not one of them. I don’t know who laid this museum out, but it makes absolutely no sense at all. The exhibits are disjointed and all based on quotes of supposedly famous people – but with no explanations or background that you would normally expect to find. The exhibits are laid out in concentric circles that are supposed to represent years. Rather than follow a logical chronological or subject path, you have the freedom to wander (aimlessly) and pick your own (confusing) path through the exhibits. Probably sounded great in theory. Not so much in practice. Plus, they still have animatronic characters. That is, they had AN animatronic character; the rest were broken.

After about 15 minutes we were confused, frustrated, bored and pretty much . . . done. It’s only saving grace was that it was free. If we had paid, we would have asked for a refund.

The arch is awesome. The museum is not. It’s unfortunate, because westward expansion is a topic with so many subtopics that a good museum could probably hold your attention for hours. As it was, we didn’t want to spend more than a quarter of an hour here. This could be so much better, and I hope that whoever is in charge reads Tripadvisor.

Visited June 2013
Crofton, Maryland
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Don't miss the movie!”
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

The trip to the top of the Arch was good; however the movie about Lewis & Clark' expedition was well worth the $4.00! Don't miss this movie.

Visited June 2013
Belleville, Illinois
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Go west”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I love seeing the history and tools of the old west. The clothes and tools are neat to see. The old carriage and teepees are a must see.

Visited April 2013