“so much more than I remembered from my childhood”

Museum of Transportation
Ranked #20 of 275 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Owner description: Visit one of the largest and most diverse collections of transportation vehicles in the world! Trace the history of American railroading, see antique cars and trucks, visit a towboat, and more.
Reviewed July 28, 2014

There is something for nearly anyone now. Some displays are nicely done indoors and air conditioned, some are outside in the weather.
There was a tiny train ride for the kids- about $4.00
They had an old trolley car up and running.
A knowledgeable staff that capably answered every question we came up with. There were even a few train cars that were available for touring at no extra charge if you asked one of the volunteers (too much valuable stuff that could be vandalized w/o "adult supervision" along) Bells and whistles to sound, Cars, buggys, trains.....so much to see. Definately worth the small admission fee!

1  Thank act2redux

Reviewed July 25, 2014

Today we had a thrilling time at the Museum of transportation, riding the mini-train, climbing in an out of the train exhibits and learning about the history of our railroads. Our son had a blast ringing the many train bells. Thank you for the many volunteers who make this exhibit 126+ acres the wonder that it is.

1  Thank 30somethingfemale
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We went on a Sunday and spent a total of about 5 hours. We used a Groupon which saved us about 50% off the normal admission price. There is a lot of history here which made this a fun outing for all of the family. I will say that there is a lot of train related displays, maybe go so far as to say that it just a few auto, boat and airplane displays from being a train museum. It would have been nice to have a bit more variety but the kids did enjoy it and there were a lot of interesting train components on display.

1  Thank QCHusker
Reviewed July 21, 2014

A little disappointed that more train cars were not open to the public to walk through. Since we were in St Louis we went. Wouldn't go back again.
The trolley car was shutting down around 2:30 the day we were there so we didn't get to ride.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

I've always been partial to this place, growing up pretty much right next door. As a girl, I've spent many weekends with my parents and older relatives just walking and playing on the old trains. Always been one to use my imagination, I used to pretend that I was in an old movie, riding those old trains into the moonlit midnight! I'm thrilled that our train museum is still open for other little ones to be amazed and to use their imaginations too :-)

A few months ago, I brought my teen age daughter and her bff here for a homecoming photo shoot and apparently we had an original idea! The girls loved climbing on the trains and striking a "pose" in their gowns! They said it was the most fun they've ever had for homecoming!

This is definitely a place you want to see if you're interested in anything Route 66 related OR trains or even history. I love it and get to see something new every time I visit. NOW, my own kids love it the way I used to and I hope they get to pass on the love to their children.

1  Thank shellakers