“Best for kids 6 - early teens; like a fast food playland on steroids.”
Review of City Museum

City Museum
Ranked #4 of 266 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Owner description: Don't take the name so literally. We're about fun. Not your white walls, walk around, and be quiet museum. If you want to climb around, get active with your kids or are a big kid at heart, we're the place. If you get freaked out easily, you might not want to come. We're four floors filled with miles of tunnels, a full cave system, over 30 slides, a circus, an arts area, a large outdoor climbing space, Architectural Museum, a Cabin that serves adult beverages, a Museum of Mayhem, Mirth and Mystery, and a ton more. Also, there's the roof with a Ferris Wheel and a bus hanging off its edge.
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Not for the faint of heart or handicapped. There are lots behind the building $5 parking - no attendant, park and then put your license plate number into the machine and pay $5. Once inside, there are no maps - they suggest you just explore. You are provided a wrist band and there is a place on there to write your phone number - you may very well lose sight of your child and if lost, your number will be on their wrist band. This is industrial art - items that were discarded and turned into mazes, tunnels, art, etc. There is an indoor and outdoor section. I would not recommend this for children under 6 because some of these areas could be dangerous if someone is not paying attention. With that said, there were a lot of kids here and they were all having a blast. There is a section of old architectural pieces that were saved from buildings being demolished or refurbished - that part had no kids/more adult oriented. There are plenty of food/beverage options on all floors. Pizza, hot dogs, sandwiches. For an adult-only stroll, I didn't feel it to be of value - but if you want to climb in/out extreme like mazes, you'd probably like it - from that perspective, it is amazing.

1  Thank nekko95
There are newer reviews for City Museum

Reviewed June 20, 2014

It's hard for other Museums to impress being from Chicago. We have some of the best Museums in the Country but the City Museum is one of the most imaginable Museums I have been too. I took my older son years ago and I have been wanting to take our younger kids for awhile. So we did a quick road trip and brought them. We opted for going on Friday night hoping to avoid crowds but it's obviously just as popular in the evening as it is in the daytime. Either way this is a must see, climb, and slide...you'll know what I mean when you go. It doesn't matter your age or if you have kids, go and I promise you will have a blast. It's set in a huge warehouse and encompasses 10 floors plus a roof top equipped with a ferris wheel. Their are several restaurants throughout and they have adult beverages. Of course, as with any museum there is a Museum store. The exhibits are fun and different, from the slides in the main hall, to the 10-story slide, caves, skate park, glass blowing, how shoe laces are made, to the epic Monstrocity and so much more. My family loves this place!

Reviewed June 19, 2014

Ummm, gigantic slides, a Ferris Wheel on the 10-story roof, endless tunnels, pathways, and things to do. This was worth every single penny. The sign of "This place can be dangerous" is true, but there's danger walking down the street. When we go back to visit my sister in St. Louis, we'll take our kids here every time.

Pay the extra $5 and go up on the roof. Worth it.

NOTE: If you're in a wheelchair or need assistance walking, this is not the place for you. There are too many changes in level for it to be worthwhile.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

This is the best, most difficult to describe place in St Louis. It is an old factory building that is jam-packed with anything imaginable. Primarily, there are various kinds of "climbing" things, sort of like a huge indoor jungle gym, but really cool and hard to describe. There are different sections, with caves, tubes made out of metal pieces, and many different slides. There are small slides, straight slides, spiral slides, slides that go down 10 stories. You go up step or climb on slopes or climb up tunnels, it's hard to explain. Great for kids of any age and any adult who can walk, you do not have to be a mountain climber.
There are educational items, but it is not a museum in the traditional sense. Pay the extra $5 and go to the roof, there is a small ferris wheel from which you get a great view. If you have the time, try to look at the items crammed everywhere, there are industrial machine parts and architectural features, this place could have been created by the mad cousin of Willy Wonka.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

This place is so amazing, it is a wonder how someone ever dream of this place. You will spend all day here, so plan accordingly. There is just so much to see and do. I would highly recommend wearing kneepads, as a parent crawling around on my knees all day did not do me any justice, lol. Both my kids and my wife and I all have bumps and bruises so just beware. But it was just still so much fun, and sometimes scary. Without a doubt if were ever in town again we will be going back.