“AMAZING VALUE!!”
Review of City Museum

City Museum
Ranked #10 of 225 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Owner description: Don't take the name so literally. We're about fun. Not your white walls, walk around, and be quiet museum. If you want to climb around, get active with your kids or are a big kid at heart, we're the place. If you get freaked out easily, you might not want to come. We're four floors filled with miles of tunnels, a full cave system, over 30 slides, a circus, an arts area, a large outdoor climbing space, Architectural Museum, a Cabin that serves adult beverages, a Museum of Mayhem, Mirth and Mystery, and a ton more. Also, there's the roof with a Ferris Wheel and a bus hanging off its edge.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Spent 5 hours here - great for kids or adults. They have something for everyone - it is an interactive museum, kids (or adults) are expected to play in the art and sculptures. I did see some kids getting hurt (one kid looked like they may need stitches) so keep an eye on them.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,024)
All reviews
in 61 reviews
"young at heart"
in 61 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have been to plenty of Museums throughout the entire globe, and this museum is by far my absolute favorite! I have been here 4 times, and each time was better than the last. Pictures can literally not do this place justice. You pull up to the museum, and there is a 6 story high park made from spirals, airplanes, buses. It is completely unique and like no other place I've been to. I went there with my parents and their friends (30-50 years of age) and younger children (8-12 years of age) and teenage friends (14-18 years of age). Every single one of us loved it. There are caves built inside where you could spend 2 hours alone exploring. There are tiny nooks that open up to secret rooms and slides that traverse several stories. There is a ropes course and a bunch of other interactive play areas. I felt so free, happy, and active, and it was such good exercise for the day. I honestly didn't want to leave. Adults can feel younger again. This place is honestly a giant fun-house for all ages.
They have an aquarium for an extra cost, but I didn't think it was much different from other aquariums I've been too.
They also have an arts and crafts corner for both adults/teens and kids, and story telling activities. In addition, when I went, they had a circus show performed by all ages from the circus camp they host there
I would definitely recommend this place, there's nowhere like it in the world. I can't wait to go back.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

This place is so much fun! A great combo of art & playground. The kids loved it! And we loved watching the kids run around like little happy crazy guys! Plus, there's beer for the grown-ups & fun sodas for the kids & so much to look at & explore. We were there for three hours & it passed by way too quickly! Totally original & a very cool experience!

1  Thank gpassuzie
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We took our 6-year old & friend to City Museum during Spring Break 2012. I hadn't been in 2 decades, but it was as I remember: FUN.

First problem you will encounter is parking. This is an urban setting and we made the mistake of GPS'ing to the actual City Museum which meant we sat in traffic for over 20 minutes just trying to get near the parking lot at CM - and it is limited in size. Instead, get yourself to the independent self-pay parking lot at the corner of N 14th and Convention/Delmar. It is basically at the back of the museum and across a street (a street that is not busy).

We went pretty early in the day, about 10am on a weekday (albeit Spring Break for many across the country), and they were packed. We decided to go to the top (3rd floor?) and work our way down.

On the upper floor is the largest pencil in America. It's fake, basically a bar to climb on. This area has really cool ramps and slides, sort of like a mini skateboard park, so make sure your child wears gym shoes with grippy rubber bottoms. My daughter's shoes had a layer of soft felt-like covering which prevented her from running up and down the ramps - and she lost out on the fun everyone else was having! There were a few rope swings, windows to look out of, and ample benches/seating for parents.

There was an aquarium on the 3rd (?) floor that we did end up going to -- but please note that it is a separate entity that has an additional entrance fee. We knew this going in and didn't plan to attend unless we had time and the kids expressed enough interest. I believe they are called World Aquarium, and it will be reviewed separately.

We did decide to lunch there which was another of the few criticism's I have of the place. The food was okay, of course overpriced, but the sitting area was cluttered, crowded, and messy. We had to get our food, go up a floor, and sit on the floor to eat. It wasn't terrible, but frustrating to walk around with our hands full trying to find a place we could sit. Luckily, there weren't any "NO FOOD ALLOWED" issues on any of the floors.

The outdoor playground/climbing area: our friend and his mom loved it. They climbed up and through and had themselves a great time. It looks rather daunting upon entrance, and it's a massive maze, but my friend assured me it was safe and sturdy. And her son absolutely raved about how awesome it is. My daughter however was not interested.

On the main floor, the same you enter on, are the caves. This is the area most people remember about City Museum, as I did from a high school trip decades ago. With slides, nooks and crannies, overhead branch-based tunnels, and much more it is a perpetual maze of fun -- if you trust your kid to disappear and reappear hours later! I was worried about my scared-of-the-dark daughter so we asked the kids to designate a meeting spot where moms would stay and wait for them. We asked them to check in periodically, and they loved emerging from hidey holes up in the sky to wave and blow kisses. This is the spot in CM withOUT ample seating for adults. I would love to see City Museum consider a few more benches and or chairs in the Maze area. Personally, I'm not an average sized adult so I wasn't capable of fitting in many of the cave crannies. I did go back with my daughter and watch her slide down a few internal slides, but eventually she was crawling through tunnels (under the ground!) that I couldn't fit or bend myself in to. It was really fun!! And I loved that the few staff who were there were VERY encouraging of the parents to get in the caves and get involved with their kids.

I am sure there are most aspects I could mention, but the best thing I can say is that it was fun. I'm sure there are some people that have taken younger kids in and enjoyed it, but for us I know that we went at a perfect time. My 6-almost-7-year old did really well with the autonomy she was given, and loved most aspects of the Museum. We visit St. Louis a lot and I know we will visit City Museum again, regardless of season.

1  Thank DMAHayes