“Great place... For kids”
Review of City Museum

City Museum
Ranked #7 of 274 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Owner description: Don't take the name so literally. We're about fun. Not your white walls, walk around, and be quiet museum. If you want to climb around, get active with your kids or are a big kid at heart, we're the place. If you get freaked out easily, you might not want to come. We're four floors filled with miles of tunnels, a full cave system, over 30 slides, a circus, an arts area, a large outdoor climbing space, Architectural Museum, a Cabin that serves adult beverages, a Museum of Mayhem, Mirth and Mystery, and a ton more. Also, there's the roof with a Ferris Wheel and a bus hanging off its edge.
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

This downtown gem is a fabulous place for kids to explore and blow off steam. We went on a Friday and the place was LOADED with field trip kids. To say it was chaotic would be a huge understatement. We were very concerned about losing track of our kids, 6 & 8 yrs old. Also it was hot on the lower levels and so loud my ears were ringing afterwards. The kids LOVED it there! So pick a time to go when it might be less crowded or send your kids with their school. ;-)

Write a ReviewReviews (5,529)
All reviews
in 68 reviews
"toddler area"
in 56 reviews

Reviewed May 18, 2013

I visited St Louis with my step-dad & 9-year-old son specifically to go to this museum, which I had read about online, but nothing could have prepared me for the thrills and artistry of this place. Wear good closed shoes (no sandals or flip-flops) and comfy clothes you don't mind getting dirty and sweaty because you are going to have a terrific time climbing, running, swinging, crawling, sliding, and more crawling! What makes this more fun than Disneyland? NO lines! No standing around. We were busy the entire 4 hours we were there. Yes, 4 hours, and we still didn't see it all. I've been to my share of children's museums, playgrounds, and amusement parks and they're often hokey & cutesy & pretty dull for grown-ups.But this place was created by an artist using cool found materials and it shows. I think I used up a week's worth of gasps, "oohs," and "ahhs" the day I was there, over the art but also over the creative ideas for giving kids and grown-ups a sense of adventure and not knowing what you might see or experience next. I mean, you haven't really gasped until you've watched from the ground as your child crawls through a 20'-long wire tube suspended 25'-40' above your head just so he can go down an enormous slide at the end. I almost don't want to tell more because so much of the fun is the surprise and discovery. Just go. I'm telling you, at $12 per person, you can't find better entertainment. Here are a couple of parting tips. (ONE) It's really noisy early in the day because of all the school groups. We arrived at 11 am and my son walked in, put his hands over his ears, and said he didn't want to go. So we asked at the front desk (we could do this because, again, there as almost no line) what the quietest time was. They suggested coming back at 3 pm. On Fri & Sat they're open until midnight, so there was no rush. We got there at 5 and it was much more manageable. Keep in mind there is a full bar on-site (although I'm not so sure it's a good idea to get all liquored up and climb in the 4-story playground!), so after 9 or so, things get pretty rowdy. We were on our way out by then. (TWO) Eat before you go because most the food available there is junk and sweets and with all the physical exertion and spiral slides, eating that kind of stuff might make you feel a big like hurling. (THREE) THere is a coat-check, so don't bother carrying around your jackets and such. It's a buck per item and worth it.

2  Thank RottHound
Reviewed May 16, 2013

This place will keep everyone in your family entertained for hours. Its got jungle gyms for even adults and some awesome vintage museums. If you want to play an adult game of "Hide and Seek" this would be the place to do it.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I took my son there for Mother's Day what a amazing place. We parked on the street since it was Sunday, you don't have to pay at the meters. Free parking yea! I got in free since it was Mother's Day. Amazing climbing,slides and sites. You may want to bring knee pads a lot of crawling. Wear jeans no buttons on the back of your jeans they will get caught. Wear tennis shoes, no flip flops or sandals. This place is fun for kids and adults. Went to buy a couple pops at the outdoor stand and the person helping us paid for mine because of being a mom. What a great place. Art was great. Insect section very interesting. Can't believe how much fun is packed in this place. Will go again.