“One of the best family attractions we've visited”
Review of City Museum

City Museum
Ranked #4 of 254 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Owner description: Don't take the name so literally. We're about fun. Not your white walls, walk around, and be quiet museum. If you want to climb around, get active with your kids or are a big kid at heart, we're the place. If you get freaked out easily, you might not want to come. We're four floors filled with miles of tunnels, a full cave system, over 30 slides, a circus, an arts area, a large outdoor climbing space, Architectural Museum, a Cabin that serves adult beverages, a Museum of Mayhem, Mirth and Mystery, and a ton more. Also, there's the roof with a Ferris Wheel and a bus hanging off its edge.
Des Moines, IA
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“One of the best family attractions we've visited”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We have a 9-year-old and a 6-year-old and have been lucky enough to visit many children's and science museums. This place is unique among the ones we've seen and is well worth the price of admission. Our kids may be the ideal ages for this place: young enough to enjoy it all; old enough that we did not have to panic if they were out of our sight for a minute or two. (I can see why parents of younger children would find this place nerve-racking -- but there were a good number of younger kids there, too.) We also were traveling with my parents who were not up for climbing and sliding. They still enjoyed seeing everything. They spent more time in the more traditional museum exhibits on the second and third floors. (The architectural section, focusing on Louis Sullivan, is beautiful.) They also paid the extra fee to visit the aquarium, which they liked. Even though the place was absolutely packed during Spring Break, the space is so large that most of the exhibits did not feel terribly crowded. We had a decent pizza lunch on the mezzanine, which was fairly priced. To the reviewer who mentioned that there's no place to hang your coat, there is a coat check. ($1/item.) Hope to return someday!

1 Thank angela_renae

• Korean first
Omaha, Nebraska
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Bring your knee pads!”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Great place for a day's outing but bring your knee pads! A fun day for kids and adults alike. Could spend all day exploring all the nooks and crannies. So much to see. Tried new things and took some risks that I never thought I was capable of. Nice to have a cocktail while waiting for kids too.

1 Thank Anne S
Champaign, Illinois
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Warning to Parents”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

While this place is really neat I can not recommended it to any parents who are over protective. You can read about what this museum has to offer in other reviews, I am reviewing on the experience I personally had and how I personally feel about this place.

My daughter had enough sense to go to the front where we came in and call me once she took a tunnel too far. She ended up calling me 3 times from the front desk because she got lost. It is NOT because we weren't watching her. We tried and she tried to stay with us but with so many people and so many tunnels and caves and slides one can get lost very easily. We also got separated outside while trying to get to the red slide. Once I found her she had a big knot on her head from hitting it on a bar.

This place is huge and there are many, many places for kids to go that parents can not. And once they go through a small opening it can often lead to another tunnel going somewhere entirely different. So the child comes out not knowing where they are or how they got there.

If you go, make sure you have a system in place to keep track of where your children are or at least tell them to go to the front desk and call your cell phone if they get lost. I have no interest in going back here.

I also saw many children hurt and crying. I think that speaks for itself! Some of the staff is very harsh with the children but then again I would think they would have to be to deal with the amount of kids running through the place.

There are no lockers or hooks to hang coats. Also, I would not recommend taking your purse in.

I feel bad writing a negative review but I also feel it needs to be said. I was not expecting this place to be like this at all so just be warned.

1 Thank lisa b
Wichita, Kansas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“WOWZA!!!”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This is an incredible place - a must see to believe it! We were going down old factory chutes, crawling under floors and above ceiling, exploring cracks and crevices in man-made cave. Our kids absolutely loved it and we did too! Good food also!

New York City, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“amazing”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

so much fun for people of all ages. dont miss the city museum. you can spend your entire day here and youll certainly be tired when your done for the day.