“Modern Playground”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of City Museum

City Museum
Ranked #4 of 253 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Owner description: Don't take the name so literally. We're about fun. Not your white walls, walk around, and be quiet museum. If you want to climb around, get active with your kids or are a big kid at heart, we're the place. If you get freaked out easily, you might not want to come. We're four floors filled with miles of tunnels, a full cave system, over 30 slides, a circus, an arts area, a large outdoor climbing space, Architectural Museum, a Cabin that serves adult beverages, a Museum of Mayhem, Mirth and Mystery, and a ton more. Also, there's the roof with a Ferris Wheel and a bus hanging off its edge.
Schaumburg, Illinois
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Modern Playground”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

It is difficult to explain City Museum to someone, it is something you really have to experience! I like to say it is what an ambitious Hoarder did with all of their stuff. While I am not a kid, and don't have kids, I insisted that my husband and I stop here when we were in St. Louis. Growing up my brother and I loved to climb trees, and I imagine if I had visited City Museum when I was 10, my mother would not have gotten me to leave. There were different areas with 'themes' that had holes to squeeze through and places to climb, and slides. While there certainly places I couldn't fit in as an adult, I felt like I was able to explore the whole building. On the third floor, there are museum like exhibits, really cool architecture pieces that I imagine were salvaged as buildings were knocked down, there was also a room with tons of 'specimens' there were bugs and fossils and many other things.You could easily spend a half day there with kids, and maybe even a full one. It was a HOT day and it was not exactly cool inside (except in the caves) so it kind of felt like a gym. I wore shorts, but shorts are not great with the slides because your skin gets stuck, if I were to go back, I'd make sure it wasn't 100 degrees out and also wear jeans. Beyond the caves there is a 10? story slide, it was ok, not really worth the climb in my opinion, not sure if it is allowed, but burlap sacks would make it a better slide. We didn't do the rooftop area, though I heard it is pretty cool, we also didn't do the aquarium, because I heard it was not worth it. I will certainly be visiting here when I have kids who can enjoy it like I did!

Visited June 2012

• Korean first
Boulder, Colorado
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“So much fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

This is a MUST-DO in St Louis! I can't even explain how much fun it is - but what other museum can you ride on a roof-top ferris wheel and then slide 10 stories down to caves. There's so much fun stuff to play around on - and this is coming from a couple of 30 year olds! It is just a really great way to spend an afternoon (or longer)!

Visited May 2012
Pune, India
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Only for kids”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

Its a place only for kids. If you are having kids then the kids will enjoy this place but if you are going with friends then this the most boring place for you.

Visited May 2012
Yorkshire, UK
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“One of the coolest places I have ever beem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

Calling this place a museum is a bit ambiguous as it is so inclusive and would be great for families as the kids would be occupied with all the crawl spaces while adults can look at all the fascinating "exhibits"

Pay the extra for the rooftop view (although the ferris wheel wasn't working the day we visited).

A must see in STL

Visited September 2012
Medinah, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Fun place for the family and kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

This is a fun place and if you love art, then you are in heaven! Bring in lots of energy and if you are afraid of heights, then avoid the outdoor climbing area and roof top..I did! :) Our 13 year old daughter was delighted with the different activities and the creativity of the museum. Our 6 year old son loved the underground caves, the huge slide and then was brave enough to go into the outdoor climb area, but somewhere in the middle of all that up there, he got afraid and my husband had a difficult time getting to the finish with him as he had to psychologically convince him, it was going to be ok. Moral of the story, do not go there with anyone under the age of 6 or 7..unless they have done it before. Conclusion, it was really good!

Visited September 2012