“Could easily spend the day here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of City Museum

City Museum
Ranked #4 of 253 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Owner description: Don't take the name so literally. We're about fun. Not your white walls, walk around, and be quiet museum. If you want to climb around, get active with your kids or are a big kid at heart, we're the place. If you get freaked out easily, you might not want to come. We're four floors filled with miles of tunnels, a full cave system, over 30 slides, a circus, an arts area, a large outdoor climbing space, Architectural Museum, a Cabin that serves adult beverages, a Museum of Mayhem, Mirth and Mystery, and a ton more. Also, there's the roof with a Ferris Wheel and a bus hanging off its edge.
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Could easily spend the day here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

Unbelievable family adventure! We only stayed for about 4 hours here with our 2 year old. Not that we were bored or under entertained, just worn out...and had an afternoon event. So much to do and explore. Could have spent the whole day with slightly older kids.

Was nervous that our 2 year old would be too small to enjoy. She loved the skate board ramp slides, the train, the circus, the ball pit, the caves, the tree, and especially the 4-story "Monster" slide! The place is a great family trip. It's an old shoe factory that's been converted into a museum/park. Think 4-story tree house! They use recycled industrial products (school buses, cranes, airplanes, etc) to make an incredible world to explore with all the senses.

On the first floor is a huge tree that you can climb up on the inside. There is a series of tunnels underneath the tree that allow you to be a gopher. There is even a slide or two under and in the tree! The fourth floor has a miniature train with an amusing conductor that the kids can ride through tunnels.

Our daughter really enjoyed the circus, that on that day was made up of teenage talent (tight rope, jugglers, chair stackers, and more). Not tigers or elephants, of course, but very entertaining. We didn't have time to do the aquarium or the rooftop (it was raining and closed). There is also a series of caves where you can climb your way to the top. Bring clothes that you could get dirty (not severely...more "play on the garage floor dirty"). Snack bar on one of the floors...that even serves beer to the big kids (adults). Only drawback to the whole time was it was a little crowded at some points. Not that there were lines to stand in...just a little chaotic. However, I had to work hard to think of a drawback. Great time. Great Memory!

• Korean first
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

The City Museum is amazing! We spent the entire day there and still didn't get to see it all. So much to see and do. The kids (ages 11 & 8) loved it. The roof wasn't open when we were there, so I see another trip in our future to visit again! :)

Owenton
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Some fun but it scared me.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

Our family consists of children 8 - 16. My husband and I do everything with our children so we stayed. If you come here expect to do the activities with your children or be nervous. There is alot of climbing to high heights. The ourside was especially suprising how high children (of all ages) were allowed to climb without supervision. I'm sure the employees may tell parents to be with their children but I passed many 5 and 6 year olds climbing very high without adults around. That makes me very nervous. Then inside you climb through tunnels and caves that take you out all of the building. Many of the holes and crevices were quite tight for my husband and I; who are on the slender side. It can be fun. I would suggest you come prepared to be right beside the children or limit what they are allowed to do.

Homewood, Illinois
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“highly recommend flashlight drinking at night!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

my boyfriend and i went during the day and were a little turned off by the amount of screaming kids - it felt a little like being inside a mcdonalds playland. but we are SO GLAD we came back at night for the lights-out flashlight experience!
Yes, it's still $10 just to get in but worth every penny. Giant paper cups of booze poured liberally at cheap prices... a complimentary flashlight (although i recommend bringing your own stronger one...they're a little dim, but hey, it's free!),
As for the museum itself, it is just as cool and unique and amazing as everyone says it is. THERE ARE SIMPLY NO WORDS. you will be awestruck by the creativity and imagination that went into the creation of this place - a graveyard playground of machinery, architecture and statues from every facit of the city. amazing.

Wildwood, MO
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Great time for the kids!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

My boys are six and eight and we went to the City Museum during spring break. We visited the outside and the inside but did not pay extra for the aquarium. The boys were old enough that they could explore each room at length without my fear of losing them in the crowd. I would highly recommend wearing long pants, as I saw several kids with skinned knees. I have visited before when they were younger and the museum is so big that I feared that we would get separated. I also saw several moms of younger kids searching for their little ones. There are staff all over to help locate kids who are hiding in the many mazes and everyone was friendly. Come prepared to let the kids run around the grounds and enjoy themselves. The cost was a bit pricey, so make sure you plan to spend at least half of the day. I highly recommend going on a nice day, as the last time we went it was raining and we couldn't enjoy the outdoor area, which was outstanding fun for my boys.
I highly recommend the city museum and would recommend it to families with children over five.