“INCREDIBLE experience, plan on a full day!”
Review of City Museum

City Museum
Ranked #4 of 275 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Owner description: Don't take the name so literally. We're about fun. Not your white walls, walk around, and be quiet museum. If you want to climb around, get active with your kids or are a big kid at heart, we're the place. If you get freaked out easily, you might not want to come. We're four floors filled with miles of tunnels, a full cave system, over 30 slides, a circus, an arts area, a large outdoor climbing space, Architectural Museum, a Cabin that serves adult beverages, a Museum of Mayhem, Mirth and Mystery, and a ton more. Also, there's the roof with a Ferris Wheel and a bus hanging off its edge.
Reviewed August 28, 2011

It is actually very difficult to describe City Museum, it is like walking into someone's artistic dream...designed for rough and tumble play or admiration, or both. I took my 5-year-old here and we spent over 5 hours...easily could have stayed all day. The rooftop is incredible and worth the extra cost. You can ride a Ferris wheel and walk on a bus that hangs out over the street 12 stories below. You can climb up into teetering airplanes and go through web-like walkways. The rope swing was a huge source of fun for my daughter. There are conveniently-located food/drink locations inside as well, serving everything from beer to penny candy to fantastic BBQ. The main floors of the museum contain caves and crawlspaces and room for exploration for hours for children and adults.

There is extensive history in the museum and the chance to see features that were put into buildings back when more care was taken with decoration and building projects. We will be back to City Museum again and again and again, and each time will be a different experience.

Recommendation for what to wear/bring: long pants/jeans, tennis shoes, pocket camera, cash (for snacks and penny candy). Travel light and avoid bringing a purse or bag if you can.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,494)
All reviews
in 68 reviews
"toddler area"
in 56 reviews

Reviewed August 27, 2011

I have 2 nephews (now ages 10 and 4) and every time I have them for a weekend (several times a year) they want to go to the City Museum. We first visited 2 years ago (with just the older one at that time) and now we go back every time. I give them the option to pick an activity for the weekend and it never changes. :) Took the youngest for the first time earlier this year and he was able to keep up with his brother with no problem. We just went back again today and they played for 5 hours without stopping.
-It's most fun if you have kids with you, it encourages you to act like one yourself.
-Rooftop is a little bit of a rip off but worth it once.
-Food is really good
-Get there when they open and head to the right. You will feel like you have the whole place to yourselves for a little while before the crowds come (on weekends anyway...)
-Have your kids wear jeans if possible and sturdy shoes. Lots of crawling and climbing.

It is an amazing place, and there's something new to see every time you go. We-love-this-place.

Reviewed August 27, 2011

My family had visited St. Louis many times and never heard of City Museum. Once we discovered it we kept going back. I believe many people are mislead by it's name. It is not even a museum in my opinion. It is an interactive inside and outside playground. The City Museum is an old shoe factory that uses the wire coils that transported shoes as climbing structures. There are slides that go from different floors of the building. There is even one that starts on the 7th story and goes to the 1st floor. You really have to see this place to believe it. There is nothing like it! They also have underground tunnels, arts and crafts, entertainment, and a suspended climbing apprentice. You climb through old firetrucks and castles. A few recommendations: wear tennis shoes, sweat pants or thin pants. I would not wear shorts or jeans with holes because they could get caught on the wires you climb through.This is not a place you want to go when it rains because they shut down the outside because of lightning and rain and this is one of the best parts. You can go on the roof during the day, but we always go at night so we have not made it up there yet. We heard it is fun too. There is a cost for this attraction, but it is worth it. We stayed for hours. a grew place for youth groups and older children. THere is a website. Go and check it out and see what I'm talking about!

Reviewed August 25, 2011

Today, thanks to all the previous reviews, my husband and I decided to go to the City Museum.

More than a museum, it's a huge indoor and outdoor playground for children AND adults, consisting largely of re-purposed architectural and industrial objects. Don't expect a traditional museum! Be open-minded and enjoy it!

The access to the "museum", located in Downtown St Louis, is pretty easy; parking there is only $5, and it's very convenient (cash parking lot located on 16th Street).
Don't hesitate to get the general admission ($12) AND the roof admission, for an additional cost of $5. You won't regret it, the roof is wonderful, with its ferry wheel at the top of the building.

If you want to enjoy 100% your visit, be ready to climb, to slide... you would prefer your comfortable sportswear and sport shoes. Just bring what is necessary; locker is $1.
No food or drink are allowed to be brought into the museum, but you can buy food and drink directly there.

We really had a great time: we spent all the afternoon there. So, I would recommend you to plan to spend at least 3-4 hours in the museum.

Fun, adventure, and challenge, even for adults (we are 26 years old)!!!

2  Thank Caroline M
See more reviews
Reviewed August 25, 2011

been to this wacky place designed by artists before...my 11 yo triplet boys and my friends boys LOVE this place. slides, caves, aquarium, outside climbing stuff made out of junk,,a Ferris wheel, a bar and food and ice cream, candy and smoothies and a grill and did I mention a bar, and it is open till 1am on Friday and Saturday,,park in their lot for $5 and entry is $12 with $5 extra for the roof and same for the aquarium...gotta go to this...their is a tank of Doctor fish..you stick your hand in and they nibble at your calluses..feels ceepy..lots to see and do...our favorite every time ..the drive from Rockford is 5-6 hours and worth it just for this place.

1  Thank damtrek3