“Not your ordinary boring museum.”
Review of City Museum

City Museum
Ranked #4 of 266 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Owner description: Don't take the name so literally. We're about fun. Not your white walls, walk around, and be quiet museum. If you want to climb around, get active with your kids or are a big kid at heart, we're the place. If you get freaked out easily, you might not want to come. We're four floors filled with miles of tunnels, a full cave system, over 30 slides, a circus, an arts area, a large outdoor climbing space, Architectural Museum, a Cabin that serves adult beverages, a Museum of Mayhem, Mirth and Mystery, and a ton more. Also, there's the roof with a Ferris Wheel and a bus hanging off its edge.
Reviewed August 10, 2011

A museum like no other we've ever been too. Dad even enjoyed! The kids had a great time wandering and climbing or sliding wherever they could. Dad & I tried to keep up. But being 6"4" and weighing 240lbs made it a little difficult for Dad to fit in some places. Inside the museum was air conditioned and outside there was a nice breeze so even on a 80+ degree day it was very enjoyable. In a few hours we explored various levels of the museum. Did not make it to the roof or the World Aquarium. Definately would recommend to families and young adults, not for anyone who has difficulty getting around.

There are newer reviews for City Museum

Reviewed August 9, 2011

We took our 5 and 3 year old children to the City Museum last week. It was a completely amazing place to visit with tunnels and tree houses and caves and endless places to explore and discover. I feel like we only scratched the surface of what was available and will definitely be back.

Reviewed August 6, 2011

Reason to go back to St Louis

Ok you will not like this place if the following describes you:
Germaphobic
Afraid of tight spaces
Afraid of heights
Need to have your kids next to you every second you are somewhere
If you have young kids (0-4ish) depending on the kid
Don’t have an open mind about art, the word museum, or crazy fun for peeps

Wait a minute I fit at least 4 of these above and we had a blast. Just think “let it go” and let the City Museum feed your spirit. As one parent that was wandering with a lost and upset look on his face while holding a baby said “They said it was a museum? Where is the museum?” It is not a museum. It is more like art on steroids. Bring the very young ones to Grant farm. Let the tweens have a great time here.

It was $12 to get in. Just a little more than what we pay to see a movie at home. We did pay the extra $5 for the roof. You don’t need to. The main areas have enough to keep you hoping for at least a few hours. We spent 4 hours and I had to drag my peep out the door.

For all you type A’s out there you know the type yes there are no maps. Drove me crazy too. The worker bees in yellow were everywhere and they kept telling me where a slide ended or what to check out next. After a while I just “let it go” notice a trend here?

Go right when it opens at 9. Come on you do this for Disney right? Do it for this place and you will have the place to yourself or at least it will not be as crowded as it is later in the day. We got there before the doors opened and did not have to pay for parking in their small lot. I offered but they told me if no one is there I did not have to pay.

The tween peep is already planning when we can go back and bring the teen peep. On weekends they are open to 1 PM. Great time to check out the caves.

Reviewed August 6, 2011

This has to be one of the most awesome place I've ever seen. Not a museum in the tradional sense. Great for kids of all ages (not for babies or under age of 2 1/2?). Mostly climbing, crawling and exploring.
Tips: don't go when it's sweltering hot, wear long pants or jeans, slip resistant shoes or all terrain, all weather shoes. If you have young children, make sure there is someone if not yourself who is able and willing to crawl through tunnels and climb. Well worth the $11 ticket. Wasn't too impressed with the World Aquarium (additional $6) but pay the extra $5 for the roof top.

Reviewed August 4, 2011

We went to this museum on a Friday night AFTER a Cardinals game. It is open until 1AM on Friday and Saturday. This place is INCREDIBLE. Something for all ages - outdoor "play ground", indoor caves, slides, skate park, etc. The 3rd floor is nothing but architectural items from around the City - lots of history, but very interesting. We are not from St. Louis, but loved the Neon Room, the doorknob display, the outhouse items - all so fascinating. The building is around 10 stories and has a ferris wheel on top of it!! I was told that the "inventor" of this place gets alot of things donated by the local demolition companies and then uses it in this museum. The place even has a bar in it for big people!