“Has really gone downhill”

St. Louis Union Station
Ranked #20 of 59 Shopping in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Owner description: St. Louis Union Station combines historic elegance with modern and stunning detail. Luxury hotel rooms, breathtaking wedding venues as well as an expansive and modern conference areas, leave nothing to be desired. Union Station is and will be a future top tier family friendly destination boasting a one of a kind aquarium, a 200 foot Ferris wheel and many other unforgettable family attractions.
Reviewed September 8, 2008

I grew up in St. Louis and can remember back in 1985 when I was a kid and the newly remodeled Union Station being opened as a tourist attraction and shopping center. For at least several years after the owners/operators kept it up with trendy restaurants, bars, shops and a hotel.
However, my last visit to Union Station, with my husband back in 2005, left me angry and disappointed. I was disgusted at how bad the place has gone downhill. I don't know what happened but whoever owns or operates it now clearly does not care. I was so disgusted with the state of a once proud civic jewel, I wrote a letter to the City of St. Louis and the Mayor's Office to complain. So what was wrong with the place?
First off, it basically was a ghost town. There were hardly any tourists or shoppers in the once-bustling mall area. However, there were plenty of scary homeless people hanging around. They had clearly staked out Union Station as their hangout. I hate to sound mean, but it really is no place for homeless people to be hanging out. Perhaps this was one of the things that scared all the tourists away?
Another problem was that almost half of the store and shop spaces were vacant! That's what I mean by the place being a ghost town in another sense. Even some of the food court spaces were empty, making the dining choices pretty slim. To top it all off, my husband stated the mens public restrooms were absolutely disgusting and filthy. He went into both locations and adamantly refused to use them (and this is a man who has been to some fairly rough parts of Southeast Asia and China without such great plumbing/sanitation facilities!) so we ended up going back to the Starbucks and using their restroom. The historic old Omni Hotel entrance is still a neat place to walk through. But I am pretty angry that the City of St. Louis has let Union Station become such a boring, run-down and forlorn place. Granted, this was almost 3 years ago and maybe things have changed for the better but I would not hold my breath.

3  Thank 2CatsMom
in 12 reviews
"structure"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed June 28, 2008

I am not sure why Union Station would really be considered an attraction anymore. It is nice but is anchored by the Hyatt Regency St Louis. If you are there to stay at the Hyatt it is a nice place to walk around . They have an excellent shop to buy Cardinal's merchandise. The Mall leads from the Hotel to Houlihan's, Hard Rock Cafe and Laundry's Seafood House. Excellent place to park (pay) or eat before any of the games in St Louis. Hop on the Metro and catch a game or convention. I would certainly skip as an attraction although a drink in the ballroom of the Hyatt is a true historical experience.

3  Thank preciouspuppies
Reviewed June 1, 2008

Yeah, I agree with what the others are saying on this one. Not much here at all. We had to pay to park but it was Ok. We were able to find some souvenirs here after hunting for a souvenir shop elsewhere without any luck.

We had a drink at the Hard Rock Cafe on the outside patio which was nice but that doesn't go without saying one of the waitresses was incredibly rude and angry with us when we entered the patio from outside instead of checking in first. There was no sign that we needed to check in and there was only one other table of people sitting out there, I didn't see what the big deal was.

There is a pond in the center and you can rent paddle boats I guess.

If you're looking for lunch or drinks this would be a good place to check out.

2  Thank tropicaldrinks
Reviewed April 1, 2008

I was surprised that there were not more specialty stores in this area considering it is anchored by a hotel. We were able to purchase St Louis merchandise, but that is about it. Disappointed by the mall and the food court, Hard Rock cafe was a big let down.

1  Thank cmama