“An Unexpected Pleasure”

Laumeier Sculpture Park
Ranked #23 of 267 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Owner description: The landscape of this park is dominated by modern sculptures.
Reviewed August 13, 2013

As someone with a great deal of interest in Art (and a Master's in Art History), I try to keep abreast of what there is to see when I visit a city. I've been passing through St Louis for over 30 years, and have been aware of the existence of the Laumeier for the last 8 or so. But I never have much time, and the Art Museum (SLAM), the amazing Pulitzer Foundation and the Art Museum at Washington University have always taken up all my art time.

A recent trip to Denver led to my having dinner with friends who had recently visited the Laumeier and suggested it was a Must-SEE. So, I drove out there and was thrilled at what I saw. It more than met my highest expectations. The layout is beautiful, the range of artworks and artists represented very impressive. From the Niki de St-Phalle cat to the Donald Judd, there's something for everyone, and spending time walking through the gardens is a wonderful way to escape the hectic St Louis traffic.

If you're at all interested in sculpture, modern art or just walking around in quiet gardens, this is your place!

1  Thank TYMN

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Not enough appreciation for the contemporary art scene to enjoy the art we viewed. Beautiful outdoor setting for it though.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

This place had something for all the family. We giggled and had a great time! The grounds were well kept. I enjoyed listening to my children discuss the different pieces. This is a great place!

Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is a hidden gem in the county south of the city. If you like art and/or architecture, you will love this place especially in the fall and spring time.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Sorry, not into silly concept art. It proves that even I could make "art" with my high school shop torch and some cleaver title for the random pieces I can turn out.

It's nice for a walk through an open area. Not worth it as "art".

2  Thank NovaGlory