“A Great Zoo that Gets a Bad Rep”
Review of St. Louis Zoo

St. Louis Zoo
Ranked #1 of 258 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Visitors are wowed by this zoo that has 6,600 animals and 15 major exhibit areas.
Missouri
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A Great Zoo that Gets a Bad Rep”
Reviewed March 30, 2010

I feel like the St. Louis Zoo gets a bad rep sometimes for its parking. Just to clarify, there is ALOT of free parking ALL AROUND the zoo. On the weekend, you will see a long line of cars parked around the entrance of the zoo, as well as in the free public parking lot next to the nearby Art Museum and Boat House. Street side parking is free. I have been to the zoo no less than 10 times and have never paid for parking.

I also want to say the park is not THAT big. The train is NOT required. It is a good amount of walking but very much manageable. I have never ridden the train in the times that i have been there and never felt the need to.

All in all, this is a great free zoo (if you can walk a little and park just two minutes further away). Concessions are always going to be expensive at these kinds of places but don't let that stop you from visiting!

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Creve Coeur, MO
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Great way to spend a day!!!”
Reviewed March 27, 2010

I recently took my 3 children to this zoo and they loved it! We spent 5 hours exploring the animals and STILL did not see the whole thing. We parked along the side streets in Forest Park and walked to the North Entrance. A very nice walk AND it saved us $11 on parking that we later used in their AMAZING gift shop. You'll definitely want to wear comfy shoes, even if you park in the Zoo Parking Lot, you'll still be walking ALL OVER this large zoo. Entrance to the zoo is free but bring extra money if you want to visit the Children's Zoo, ride the Carousel or the Train, and get snacks, drinks, souvenirs, etc. We brought in a large bottle of water with no objections from the staff. In fact, the staff overall was VERY helpful and polite no matter what their position was. In the Bird House, two staff members stopped their cleaning duties to answer questions about the birds from my kids. They were so helpful and nice and didn't act irritated by the fact that we had interrupted their work! Try to get to the zoo early, when the animals are the most active. Towards the end of the day, we went to the River's Edge and couldn't find a SINGLE animal!! They must know what time the zoo closes, or maybe it's their dinner time, but I saved that walk for last because I heard it was the best. Oh well, we'll have to start with that area first the next time we go!! The bathrooms were very well taken care of, but if you enter into the zoo at the North Entrance, don't hit the bathrooms right away in the Welcome Center b/c those are always packed. Wait just a few steps away and you'll find some that don't have a huge waiting line. Also, it gets very hot in the Herpetarium House between all the people and the heat lamps from the snakes and reptiles. You may want to skip it if you can't handle climate change well. But DON'T skip the Penguins!! Even though it's cold, it's the cutest area of the zoo (but very stinky-chew gum, it helps!!). Have fun at the zoo!!!

southwest missouri
“Zoo exhibits were excellent even though it was a rainy day!”
Reviewed March 16, 2010

We took the whole family to the zoo and had a great time despite the rain. The exhibits were amazing. Our youngest child loved the monkeys, zebras, elephants, and hippos. There were very few things that weren't out due to the time of year. We look forward to going back again. When we were going to leave at closing, we had car trouble and the zoo rangers let us stay inside until our ride came. What more could you ask for when on vacation.

Kalamazoo
“Didn't live up to the hype”
Reviewed February 10, 2010

I really enjoy zoo and was looking forward to seeing "one of the best zoos in the world." I was very disappointed. I think one mistake was mine for going a couple days after a big snow. There was almost no staff on the premises that I noticed and everything was shut down. All of the little shops and concessions were closed that were not part of larger building. Most animals were not outside. The animals were kept in small enclosures inside. The one part of the zoo that I was looking forward to the most was entirely closed "due to icy conditions." I would be willing to give this zoo another chance during warmer weather, but I have definitely seen better zoos than this. (Ft. Wayne Zoo and Toledo Zoo come to mind).

Kansas City, Kansas
“Lots of recent deaths and health issues”
Reviewed January 22, 2010

I would say the zoo overall is fine however, I was totally taken aback by the small size of the elephant enclosure and the obvious medical issue of one elephant in particular. We also learned that they have a deadly herpes virus within their elephant group. That sounds not so healthy.

They are also completely without any polar bears due to deaths last year and two primates also died in 2009.

Have to wonder with all the deaths and health issues what is going on at the St. Louis Zoo.