“Lifetime Lover of this Zoo”
Review of St. Louis Zoo

St. Louis Zoo
Ranked #1 of 273 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Visitors are wowed by this zoo that has 6,600 animals and 15 major exhibit areas.
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I've been visiting the St Louis Zoo since I was a little girl. I passed on the tradition to my daughter and my granddaughter. I've visited a lot of zoos, and St Louis is definitely one of the best and it's one of very few, if not the only one, that is still free admission.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,127)

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Best thing about the zoo is it's free!!! However, the claim to be America's number 1 zoo must be based on the Trustee's imagination, as the selection of animals is less comprehensive than Denver's. Nevertheless, it is a pleasant place to spend a couple of hours. The lions and tigers are impressive.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

When we went it wasn't crowded at all so it was a great experience. It was a Friday in January and there were a couple of field trips but really not many other people so we didn't have to wait to see any of the animals. It was easy to get around and the map was great. The sculptures in front of the zoo are not to be missed.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We live close enough to the zoo to walk! We are members and normally go every other week or more.

During the warmer months, I wake my daughter up a little early and we get there in time for the opening at 8am. We are able to park on the street within a few hundred feet of the entrance. There aren't many areas that require payment, but they are free for the first hour the zoo is open. We frequently visit the stingrays and children's zoo first.

About 9 am we go to the lakeside cafe and have breakfast. They have a very large breakfast platter with eggs, bacon, tater tots, pancakes, etc. which is more than enough for us to share ($7). Enjoy your meal overlooking the lake watching the ducks, swans, etc.

You could easily spend the rest of the day visiting the other attractions at the zoo if you have a lot of energy. We normally look at the reptile house (daughters favorite), the elephants, sea lions, penguins, and primates. There are other paid shows throughout the day that are entertaining. We generally are winded by noon and ready to leave. The crowds are pouring in at noon and you will be amazed at the change in parking - people will walk up to a mile on a nice spring day.

If you are looking for a great lunch or afternoon break, visit the central west end (Euclid and Maryland) which is just on the northeast corner of Forest park. Dozens of outdoor restaurants, ice cream, and shops to see. There may even be a shuttle available from the zoo?

2  Thank Gray5153
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I think the St. Louis Zoo is the best in the US. Have been to a few of the others that are named as top and not only do they charge admissions but also do not have the facility that St. Louis has.