“Great visit!”

St. Louis Zoo
Ranked #1 of 258 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Visitors are wowed by this zoo that has 6,600 animals and 15 major exhibit areas.
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Great visit!”
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I hadn't been to this zoo in ages and it was wonderful. It's free, although parking is $15. It is huge with tons of animals, lots of shade, eating places and places to sit down. This zoo has the Emperor Penguins and puffins, which are located in a cold cave. Very fun to go through it. They are always entertaining. They also have a butterfly house - very cool! I was very impressed with the elephant display also. There were several elephants and they had TONS of room. This is excellent to see since a lot of zoos I've been to recently seem to lack in room for them to roam around. A sea lion exhibit is coming on June 30, 2012 also. This zoo is one of the best!

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
st louis mo
138 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 176 helpful votes
“Always something new! Rated #2 in the USA for 2012!”
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We've been going to the St. Louis Zoo all my life and I have to say that I notice something new every single time I go! I love it. I've learned to buy a zoo membership because I can save the high parking prices every time I go. I believe it's 10$ to park now? I also save money on food and drinks. It all adds up quickly when you've got a family. I love how clean the park is. I love the water sprayers for the kids who get hot (or the parents like me:-). We also get free Zoo Line tickets (train tickets) and free Children museum tickets with the purchase of a family membership. I only realized, last year, how much money I could save when going the membership route. WOW... I've been missing out.

I guess my favorite part of the Zoo is the elephants at the River's Edge and the newer Penguin exhibit. The big cat country and the gorillas are also a must see every time we go. OH! I almost forgot to say that on really hot days (and maybe all the time) the restaurant workers would let us refill our cups with ice water! I haven't seen that anywhere else so I was SO thankful! The staff is very courteous:-)

Be careful of the renovations going on in 2012. They're making a new sea lion exhibition.

1 Thank shellakers
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
“World Class Zoo”
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Accessibility of the animals, the cleanliness, the landscaping, the insectarium, the penguin house, friendliness of the employees

Free

Visited August 2011
Springfield, IL
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 131 helpful votes
“It will be unbelievable soon.”
Reviewed June 1, 2012

We've been to the St. Louis zoo many times in the last 40 or so years and it continues to improve. The zoo has evolved into a place that puts the animals in natural surroundings, and that continues today. For example, the big apes used to sit in cages and watch people watching them. Now they're in a large area where they may eat leaves off of shrubs, sit in the shade, or walk around. We always get a train ticket to ride one loop of the whole zoo with three stops to get off and see what each area offers. This is one of the best zoos in the country.

1 Thank Chuckospringpatch
Minnesota
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Great family time!”
Reviewed June 1, 2012

A must visit! It was 90 degrees when we were there so the big animals were hiding, but it is still a very nice zoo, The train was a waste if time too