“Best Ribs Ever”

Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Grand Center / Midtown
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I heard about Pappy's on the Food Network. They were competing against 17th Street BBQ. Pappy's received 2nd place but I may disagree. Pappy's is excellent-they have the best ribs I've ever had. There was a 45 minute wait at Noon on a Sunday but well worth it. For $21 I got a full slab, baked beans and sweet potato fries. I also had sweet tea. This is a must stop if you're visiting St. Louis.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,339)

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I came alone on MLK day at about 2:30pm. I waited in line for almost an hour. It could be that it was worse on a holiday than a normal day but I thought waiting that long was insane.

I ordered the full rack of rib combo with briskett, fired corn on the cob and sweet potato fries. The sweet potato fries were definately incredible. I thought the ribs were good but like many others have said, they are not super tender, definately not fall off the bone. They were tasty but not amazing. The corn was interesting and I enjoyed it as something different. The briskett was flat out disappointing. I didn't think any of the sauces were better than other places I've been, and the "hot" wasn't hot at all.

They messed up my order and forgot to bring me the briskett which means I had to leave my table and go chase someone down because the servers never say hello to you again after they initially bring you your food by yelling your name until you identify yourself. The problem is that leaving your table in this place means someone may swipe it from you, and it's so crowded that you can't keep an eye on your stuff and pursue a server at the same time.

They played really loud jazz/blues music while I was there. Seems like it would have been hard to have a meaningful conversation, although at least your neighbor couldn't hear it over the music.

No chance I would go back and after dining there I am surprised that it is the #3 place on tripadvisor. If the service was better and the wait was longer I probably would go again, but the reality is that there are a multitude of places in STL that have equally good food with better service and no waiting like this. If you are west of town I recommend PM BBQ in the Chesterfield Valley.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

The best bbq in St. Louis. Dry rub instead of drowning in sauce...but sauce on the side if you'd like any. The ribs are stunning....the pulled pork is fabulous. Even the sides are good! Great service, too, despite the crowd.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Pappy's hasa good pulled pork and excellent ribs. The service was fast and friendly. My only complaint is that the spicy sauce was not spicy at all. I will definitely be back

Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

I came here bc someone referred my family to bc they had the best none fatty ribs so we did. It took us about an hour in line to get to be able to order. The service was fast and they found us a table but our 1 yr old had to sit in our lap bc they had no high chairs (not fun eating BBQ with a 19 month old squirming around). The ribs were okay. I prefer them fall off the bone but it was kinda tough but def. not fatty. The BBQ beans were kinda cold but the sweet potatoe fries were very good! Would I come back? Probably not. From Arkansas home of some very fine bbq