“Great BBQ - Get There Early”
Review of Pappy's Smokehouse

Pappy's Smokehouse
Ranked #6 of 2,971 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Grand Center / Midtown
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great BBQ - But get there early. Always busy (for a good reason), so get in early or get in line. I like their pulled pork and brisket a lot. Good flavors, good sauces. Pretty consistent overall considering the amount of food output daily. My only complaint is the seating - I hate feeling rushed and you have to find a table, eat and leave, no relaxing conversation here. Plus I hate cutting through the people waiting to go get a drink refill - wish they would put another soda fountain in at other end of restaurant. Otherwise - always a winner!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,319)

Reviewed November 3, 2012

There is always a lot of discussion in St. Louis about who has the best barbecue ribs. After eating ribs at pappy's today, there is little doubt that Pappy's has the best ribs in St. Louis. My wife and I ordered the Big Ben which gives you a slab of ribs, a brisket sandwich, a pulled pork sandwich, a quarter smoked chicken, and sides. The ribs were smoked and cooked to perfection. The meat came off of the bone with ease but you still could cut the ribs without all of the meat falling off like it does when you cook in a slow cooker. I added the Pappy's Original sauce and it was very flavorful. You can also pick a sweeter sauce and a hotter one. The sides are very good, especially the green beans, slaw(vinegar base), baked beans, and potato salad. The brisket was good but not as good as the ribs.
Pappy's is not a fancy place. There is usually a long line to get in, but the line moves pretty fast. You order your food and then try to find a table. The system seems to work well since we found a table immediately after ordering. We got our food within minutes of sitting down. We had plenty of leftovers so we will have another feast. If you like barbecue, Pappy's is the place for you!

Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

We loved the food at Pappy's! The only thing that is a draw back is the line. We waited for about an hour. I wish they could expand. But it was worth the wait and we would go back again!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I had the brisket which in my opinion is the true test of a BBQ joint. The baked beans were awesome and I later learned they sit at the bottom of the smoker under all the meat so all those juices mingle with the beans!! Yum!! Also had my 1st experience with fried corn on the cob, it caramelized in the frying process and you could really taste those sugars. The corn does stick in your teeth though. You must eat here!!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Pappy's is severely overrated. It is good, but nothing special. Taste like any other bbq. Nothing special about the sauces either. Don't get me wrong, food was tender, the right amount of smoke flavor, good rub, but just nothing that sets it above and beyond any decent bbq joint. The worst part is the long lines. You can get there 10 minutes before they open and there will literally be 100 people already in line. This makes absolutely no sense. They are serving slow cooked smoked food. That food was done long ago. It isn't made to order which would cause a back up. It is either one of two reasons (or both) for the longs lines. 1) They have horrible service and are just slow. 2) They purposely serve food slow to create a sense of higher demand than it actually is. There are plenty of other places that are just as good in St. Louis with shorter lines.

2  Thank Brian L