“Make sure you find a coupon!”
Review of The Gateway Arch

The Gateway Arch
Ranked #1 of 228 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: From the thrilling views to the amazing stories, a visit to the Gateway Arch is an experience that never fails to inspire. Whether you have a few hours or a full day, you’ll find activities to please every member of your party. Attractions include the Tram Ride to the Top of the Gateway Arch, the Museum at the Gateway Arch (open July 3, 2018), a documentary film about the construction of the Arch, shopping at The Arch Store, a new Arch Cafe, and cruises aboard the Riverboats at the Gateway Arch. Tickets sell out early and often - advance purchase strongly recommended. Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
Reviewed August 29, 2012

You can't go to STL and miss the Arch! The ride up is a little pricey, so be sure you seek out any available coupons. My son rode for free thanks to an online coupon I found. Go first thing in the morning to beat the crowds. We went on a Sunday morning and, though bustling, we didn't have to wait long through security or for tickets. We did the whole trip in less than 2 hours, including lengthy visits to the (free) museum and gift shops.

13  Thank bigmaffy
Write a ReviewReviews (10,848)
All reviews
in 158 reviews
"pod"
in 638 reviews

Reviewed August 29, 2012

If you are ready for the journey to the top - then do it! Don't be afraid...the view is worth it! Just pick a day when sky is clear. The line was long and moved slowly when we visited. In the room at the top, it was somewhat stuffy but you don't stay long up there anyway. We are glad we took the time to visit this landmark.

Date of experience: September 2011
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We just came back from a trip to St. Louis. My main reason for visiting St. Louis was to see the Arch and share it with my children. It certainly didn't disappoint! To me, is it just an incredible sight of beauty! I could marvel at it all day! It's so awesome! The elevator ride up it was so cool! Even though I am incredibly scared of heights and really dislike enclosed spaces, I felt totally fine going up and down the elevator. I think it really helps that there is glass, and you can see into the arch. It's just 4 minutes up and 3 minutes down so it goes really fast. The view at the top is spectacular! You can see everything! It was fun looking down at our hotel, the ballpark, etc. We got tickets for the movie on how the Arch was built, and it was so worth it. It gives you the entire story behind how the arch was built, and it's fascinating to see all the footage. You really gain an appreciation of what an amazing accomplishment it was and how brave the workers were who risked their lives to build it. I am so happy we got to visit the arch and go up it. It was so much fun texting people photos of our journey and from the top. I will always treasure those photos (and the one I bought that was taken before we went up). This is a place that everyone should visit during their lifetime! It's completely worth the journey there!

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I visited the Gateway Arch when I was a little kid and now it was time take my kids (12/10) to Saint Louis to visit the Arch at the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial.

I would strongly suggest that you buy your tickets on line before you make the trip as you have no idea about what the lines will be like. I would also suggest that you schedule your visit as early in the day as possible. We booked our Arch tour for 9:50 on a Saturday morning. When we got there at 9:15 there were no lines. When we left at 10:45, the lines were more about 200 yards long under the blazing sun and in +95 degree heat. Seriously... this thing is that cool and that popular.

Not only is the Gateway Arch a great piece of engineering and phenomenal piece of metal work, but is a great teaching opportunity for a parent to better explain the Louisiana Purchase, etc to their kids. They really have a fantastic museum below the Arch that I could have easily spent more time in.

Date of experience: May 2012