“A MUST do while in St. Louis!”
Review of Gateway Arch

Gateway Arch
Ranked #9 of 254 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Museum of Westward Expansion closed, pending installation of all new museum exhibits. As of March 2, 2015, entry-only ticket or tram ticket required to enter Arch. The nation's tallest monument at 630 feet, the Gateway Arch has beckoned visitors since June 1967. The Gateway Arch commemorates Thomas Jefferson and the role St. Louis played in the westward expansion of the United States. A visit to St. Louis isn't complete without standing at the Arch's base and playing professional photographer, but the view from the outside is only half of the experience. Attractions within the Arch include the Journey to the Top (the last tram leaves one hour before closing); educational programs (will be housed at the Old Courthouse); award-winning documentary movie, Monument to the Dream; and a gift shop. Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and New Year's Day. Note: the address shown is for the Old Courthouse which is acting as the Gateway Arch Ticketing and Visitor Center throughout construction. Pedestrian entrance to the Arch Grounds is at Walnut Street at Memorial Drive or via the Grand Staircase from the riverfront.
Memphis, Tennessee
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“A MUST do while in St. Louis!”
Reviewed March 24, 2011

We loved this - we always do! Been 3 times in the last 10 years, and my kids always enjoy it. Best to do on a clear day so that you can enjoy the view. This time, we watched the Lewis and Clark imax film and actually loved it! Thought we were just killing time, but adults and kids all enjoyed it and learned a lot. The documentary is good too, but this film really makes you understand the whole "westward expansion" concept. Enjoy!

Visited March 2011

• Thai first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Put on your Bucket List”
Reviewed March 21, 2011

I am afraid of heights, but the Arch is just amazing. It is worth the money. I am glad i put my fears aside. A must see, and do.

Visited July 2010
Conway, Arkansas
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Order tickets online in advance.”
Reviewed March 21, 2011

The Arch is an amazing structure and landmark. Just be sure to order tickets in advance for the day and time you want, as they do sell out. We had to buy tickets for a day later, which caused a small glitch in our schedule.
Use the restroom right before you get in line for the ride up.
I must admit that, as a teenager, going up to the top and looking out the windows didn't bother me at all, but thirty-some-odd years later, I found it a bit terrifying. You can feel a bit of sway once at the top if there is wind and that is unsettling. But I'm glad I went back.
Watch your head getting in and out of the transport car.

Visited March 2011
Saint Louis, Missouri
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 173 helpful votes
“It's worth going just to hang out at the base”
Reviewed March 2, 2011

Of course the trip up is enjoyable, though it's been a while, a long while, since I did that. My last time there (November) I just hung out at the base of it. It's worth going to just do that; don't think you have to go up to the top. Just run around and enjoy the park. It's free, safe, and beautiful.

One of my favorite monuments in the world.

Visited November 2010
Grand Rapids, Michigan
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Well worth the price!”
Reviewed February 15, 2011

Overall it is worth the trip to the top. I went later in the afternoon so the sun was glaring on the windows that faced the city so you dont get as good of a view or pictures. So I would suggest going earlier in the day.

Visited February 2011