“For a unique mid-summer night's experience, head to The Muny”
Review of The Muny

The Muny
Ranked #20 of 266 things to do in Saint Louis
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I was looking for things to do in St. Louis other than the arch online and came across this theatre which piqued my interest since I was a Theatre major. What especially excited me was that the night my fiance and I were to arrive in St. Louis, the Muny was ending their performance of the week with one of my favorites: Singin' in the Rain! Well, I just had to go because I always wanted to know how the rain scene is done on the stage. I decided to get tickets at the box office just in case due to either traffic, as we were driving from Chicago, and the weather, as it rained a good portion of our drive to St. Louis. I was able to get our two tickets together about ten rows from the stage! I should make note: this theatre puts on seven shows from June-August with each show running a week. This theatre is also outdoors, which, when a great night is handed to you like we had, it makes for a great theatre experience. With a full orchestra, this theatre pulled out all the stops. Before the show, the National Anthem is sung, which never happens at any other show I've been to. I also was impressed to hear that just about the whole amphitheatre was singing, more so than at a sporting event. They also have people selling drinks and candy just like at a sporting event. The theatre, with the exception of the two seats next to me, was full. The playbill clearly states that the show starts at 8:15pm, which it did, and also mentioned how long the show would run. Never have I been to a show that started on time. I was very shocked to read the theatre ettiquette posted in the playbill as well. The sound was perfect. I never once had a hard time hearing any one of the actors. The tap dancing was amazing and the chemistry between the actors playing Don and Cosmo was terrific. I was a bit dissappointed with the actor playing Don, as was my fiance. He wasn't as strong as a dancer, but more so, he had butter fingers that night dropping his bow at one point during "Fit as a Fiddle", dropping his umbrella during his big number and not getting a good hold of the Cyd Charisse character during her first lift but she adjusted herself to not make the accident obvious to the average theatre goer. As for the main scene that ended Act 1 that I had been waiting for: I was extremely impressed! There were sprinklers on top of the set that had the water fall just at the edge of the orchestra pit where the stage dipped so the water would sink to some basin. The actor playing Don, aside from dropping his umbrella, performed the title number superbly. You of course can't help but compare him and picture Gene Kelly, but the actor playing Don made it his own. All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed the show and am very glad I stumbled on this truly hidden jem that sits in the middle of a park. So if you're ever in St. Louis in the summer, please support the arts, please support the Muny, you won't be dissappointed!

1  Thank Bette84
There are newer reviews for The Muny

Reviewed July 27, 2011

The productions and stage are wonderful at the Muny. Had season tickets when first moving to STL, but after a few shows gladly gave them up. The seats are not staggered, they are on an incline however it is very difficult to see. Playing head bobbing is not fun during performances. Tried season tickets again this year and struggle with the same issue. When calling on the phone to get tickets was told the seats were at the beginning of a section but they are not. I love the fact that there are free seats, and that you can bring in your own beverages. That is great as well as free parking. It is a good value if you can stand the summer heat, usually by 8ish it has cooled off to bearable.

Reviewed July 11, 2011

We had box seats to The Little Mermaid. Our seats were on the side, but the view of the stage was still amazing. Worth every penny we paid. This was our first visit and we had difficultly finding the will call window, but we figured it out eventually. The grounds were beautiful. I would recommend taking your own drinks because you will pay a pretty penny for a bottle of Pepsi. The show was fantastically done, and the crowd was amazingly well behaved throughout the show. I thought that it would be too loud sitting so close to the stage with speakers and the musician pit in front of us, but that was not the case. Leaving after the show was a nightmare though. People park on both sides of narrow streets and there is no one directing traffic afterwards. I was stuck head to head with a trolley that wouldn't back up with a line of 20+ cars behind me. It was a mess.

Reviewed July 3, 2011

We live in the St. Louis area and go to the Muny at least three times each summer. If you are visiting St. Louis in the summer this would be a great way to spend an evening. Ticket prices range from free up to $68. If you want the free seats I would suggest getting there about 2 hours prior to the event. You can order tickets on line or go to the ticket office to purchase them in person. The ticket agents will always help you find the best seats for your price range. Be sure and take water and something like cold wet wipes to keep you cool. It can be rather hot at times, but most of the time there is a nice breeze.

1  Thank J-W
Reviewed June 30, 2011

If you live in and around St. Louis and have not heard of the Muny then you are in for a surprise. The Muny is located in Forrest Park and is America's Largest outdoor theatre. Every year during the months of late June to August the Muny hosts some of the most well know and new shows. To see what is playing this season go to www.muny.org. The prices are some of the most reasonable for live theatre in this city. The Muny also gives away approximately 1,500 FREE seats (last 9 rows of the theatre) on a first come first serve basis for all of their shows every season. My wife and I have had season tickets for the past 3 years and have loved it. The shows are incredible and the perk of being outdoors is the Muny allows you to bring your own soft sided coolers and they only limit on beverages is non-alcohol drinks in cans no glass. They do have multiple fully stocked snack bars on site that have everything from ice cream to beer and wine. If you have a love for the theater and live in or near St. Louis or you vacation plans take you to St. Louis stop by and experience this local history performing nightly until August.