“Great place to visit”

Jefferson Barracks Telephone Museum
Ranked #37 of 228 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Jefferson Barracks Telephone Museum is housed in a beautifully restored 1896 building that is on the National Register of Historic Places. It is located in the 426-acre historic Jefferson Barracks Park which is a 15 minute drive south of downtown St. Louis. Members of the Telecom Pioneers, a non-profit 501(c)(3) telephone company employee service organization, and their families and friends have spent over 66,500 hours in repairing and renovating the building. The self-guided, accessible museum has many hands-on, how-things-work displays. The displays were created to inspire an interest in engineering and history. Boy Scouts can utilize the museum to meet one of their Inventing and Engineering merit badge requirements. Besides its extensive collection of telephones manufactured from the 1900s through 2000s, the Jefferson Barracks Telephone Museum also contains: • A working Central Office Step Switch. • Operator switchboards from the 1920s and 1960s. • Military telephones from WWII through the Vietnam War. • Hundreds of pieces of telephone-related equipment and tools. • A telephone pole complete with climbing equipment. • Hundreds of pieces of telephone-related memorabilia from the 1880s through the 2000s. • A large variety of novelty telephones. • A sculpture of Alexander Graham Bell and replicas of his 1876 Liquid Transmitter and 1877 First Commercial Telephone. Admission costs $5 for adults, $4 for seniors 60 years and older and $3 for children ages 5 to 12. Children 4 years and younger and active military members are admitted free. Guided tours are available for groups of 10 or more and should be scheduled at least two weeks before the tour. Enjoy nostalgia from the early years of the telephone. It’s a fun family adventure, an educational field trip for students and an enjoyable group outing.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Reviewed December 2, 2018 via mobile

What a fun trip down memory lane! Our family, which includes my 80-year old father, and our kids, ages 10 and 15, loved this little museum with plenty of hands-on exhibits. A great way to spend the morning at a museum that opens before most do!

Date of experience: December 2018
"on display"
"mississippi river"
"all ages"

Reviewed November 30, 2018

After sending a lot of time watching this museum be renovated and turned into a museum I finally got the chance to check it out. This museum is very well laid out and easy to navigate through. The tour guide was very knowledgeable in the entire exhibit. She was very nice and took the time to explain important items on exhibit. After the tour while we were looking around by ourselves she still took the time to talk to us about the barracks and the exhibit. This my is a must see for all people. Great job on the restoration of the building and on the fact that the entire staff is made of volunteers.

Date of experience: November 2018
Reviewed November 21, 2018

We were in the St Louis area to visit my daughter and she told us there was a surprise museum she was taking us to. We had no idea how much of a treat we were in store for! This is a wonderful place! We opted to have the guided tour and our guide was so knowledgeable and answered our questions. There is just so much history here and we left with a wealth of information. An added bonus was I had previously worked for two different telephone companies in past years so this brought back a lot of memories for me. In fact, I think I impressed my daughter with the telephony knowledge I still had! There is just so much to see! In fact we stayed much longer than we had planned because we were enjoying our tour so much. We actually ran over the time they were due to close and our guide was nice enough to say we could stay until we had seen all the exhibits. Please, if you are passing through or in the area this is a very worthwhile stop for you. They offer a senior discount which was nice for my husband and I. It will bring back a lot of memories as you walk through and learn about the history of the telephone.

Date of experience: November 2018
Reviewed September 28, 2018

what a little neat place to visit . Everyone there is so nice and helpfull. Its amazing how quick tech has changed thru the years. Hey wait dont I still have that one, no thats my parents phone,haaaa

Date of experience: September 2018
See more reviews
Reviewed September 21, 2018

While on a motor coach (bus) tour from the Chicago area to visit sights along Route 66 our tour company chose the Telephone Museum for a stop and we are glad they did. It was one of the most interesting stops on our trip. Their collection of telephones and related exhibits are wonderful. Each item is tagged with a complete description. The best asset of the museum is the docents. Both were former telephone company employees and have a vast knowledge and share it it a worthwhile presentation. Carol was our docent and she is not only knowledgeable but also has a great sense of humor.

Date of experience: September 2018