“Sweep the carpet”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Saint Joseph
miles away
“Sweep the carpet”
Reviewed January 16, 2011

While the price was decent and it included a breakfast buffet, the rooms need a bit more detailed cleaning. I don't believe the carpet had been swept as there was a hair pin on the floor, a cheeto on the floor under a bedskirt and a dirty tissue on the floor next to the other bed.
Overall appearance was just fine.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Neosho, Missouri
Reviewed October 13, 2010

Several family members recently traveled to our hometown of St. Joseph MO to attend a family funeral. We stayed at the Comfort Suites and first noticed it was not as nice as other Comfort Suites where we have stayed.

The real kicker, however, came at about 1am when a fire in the hotel laundry threatened the safety of all guests. We returned late after visitation at the Meierhoffer Funeral Home and a meal out. One of my cousins - who is local - came back to the hotel with me to visit and when he got ready to leave, after midnight, I walked with him to the UNMANNED FRONT DESK (clerk was everywhere but where he should be) and finally got bedding for the sofa sleeper which had none. I then went outside to talk with my cousin and the desk clerk came outside to smoke (this is a 100% no smoking facility) and then we were almost run over when another "employee" arrived around 1 am. She barrelled up in an old car and she and the desk clerk appeared to be on intimate terms based on the physical groping that went on.
When my cousin and I noticed a large amount of smoke pouring out of the laundry room vents, we were appalled but the two employees - the desk clerk who said he was really the manager but he was filling in for the night clerk whose brother was shot and his girlfriend assured us it was just "steam". We watched it for a few minutes and decided it was not. By then we could smell the smoke. We pointed this out and so the clerk rushed inside, sprayed at the dryer with a fire extinguisher and opened a window thus fueling the fire. Then the other employee screamed that flames were everywhere just as the hotel alarms went off. My cousin ran around to the east side entrance to help get our family members out while I ran down the hallway to do the same, alerting other guests on the way and pointing them where and how to evacuate.
No hotel employee did anything of this nature. We stood at the side entrance, holding open doors, telling people what was happening for some time, got our luggage - most of it out - and then I called Comfort Suites.
Meanwhile, two huge fire trucks arrived on scene and guests were left out in the parking lot in their sleepwear, many scantily clad for October.
The halls filled with heavy smoke and the sprinklers went off in the hallways, soaking everything. When the fire was out and contained, we asked to go back inside to get my mother's cane and meds. The place was a mess, standing wall in the hallways, carpets saturated, the rank, acrid smell of smoke everywhere. We got the stuff and went to Drury Inn for a comp night - this at about 3am - as directed but although we told as many other guests as possible, only a handful went there for what little remained of the night.
During the hectic events, the fire fighters mistook my cousin for an employee and so did many guests, apparently because we took charge and were also professionally and fully dressed at the late hour.
The desk clerk - after we had permission from the owner to get my mom's stuff - attempted to order my cousin out of the building, apparently afraid we might tell that he wasn't at his post when the fire broke out.
I fully believe that if we had not been there to see the smoke, that the fire would have escalated to a far more dangerous level before any action was taken and that the lives of our family members and other guest couild well have been threatened. Most fire deaths are from smoke inhalation.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank theJoetowngirl
Eldon, Missouri
Reviewed September 8, 2010

I really liked this hotel, it had all of the nice updates, furniture, flat screen, furnishings. Staff was friendly and helpful. Stayed on choice points and had no trouble, didnt even ask for a credit card for incidentals. Not the most comfortable mattress, but at least my sheets and spreads where clean and comfortable. Breakfast was good and plentiful, waffles, eggs, etc..Lots of good eating choices adjacent. Good area of town, nice little mall across the street. Will stay here again. Pool area and exercise room very nice.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
South Dakota
Reviewed September 1, 2010

I stayed in this hotel with my family and newborn baby. From the outside it seemed perfectly nice. I was going to stay on the hide-away bed (each room has one) since I had to get up with the little one and there was a bit of separation from the rest of the room. I open the hide-away bed and there are sheets on the bed. Dirty sheets with bits of food that fell in from the couch. There are no other sheets in the room to replace them. Then I grabbed the extra blanket in the drawer to use and there were these white stains all over it. Huge stains the size of my hand. One of my relatives then grabbed one of their blankets from their bed and there was stains that looked like food pieces. (the type of stain with chunks of the food still stuck to it) Then I grabbed the flat sheet from another bed and there was a stain on this one too! These weren't washed in stains..it was quite clear the blankets and sheets had not been washed. Disgusting.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Brookings, South Dakota
Reviewed August 26, 2010

My wife and I travel I-29 two to four times a year. We always stay at Comfort Suites in St. Joe. It is consistently clean and staff are friendly and accomodating. It is close to good eating, and the mall.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Clarksville, Tennessee
Reviewed August 18, 2010

Stayed at this hotel for two nights on Choice Points, yet a charge showed up on my hotel bill. When I called to ask for reason for charges was given no explaination but was told the charges would be removed. Not the first time this occured, also happened to my sister when she stayed at this hotel as well. Called Choice hotels was informed I needed to handle it with the local owner. If you stay better check charges very closely!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
KY
Reviewed July 7, 2010

We checked in about 7:30 and walked down the hill to Cracker Barrel for dinner. After dinner, we returned to our room, showered and tried to sleep. All we could hear were the passing semi trucks on the Interstate. This was heard over the sounds of the television, air conditioner, and bathroom fan. We were trying anything to be able to drown out the Interstate noise. Around 11:30, people upstairs were also running around and sounded like they were coming through the ceiling. We had had enough and called the front desk to tell them we were leaving, since they were sold out and would not be able to move us to another room. I asked that the paperwork be ready so that I would not be charged for a room that we were unable to stay in. I was told that my credit card had not been charged. When I received my credit card statement, I had indeed been charged. I called the hotel and was told that the manager had talked to my credit card company and that it would take 3 hours to show up. The next day I called back and was told it would take 5-7 days to be credited to my account. It still wasn't, so I called today and was told that I would not receive my money back. I explained the situation and the lady told me in a very hateful tone that she was not giving my money back. I called customer relations and was given 1/2 of my money back, so I have learned a lesson...DO NOT STAY AT CHOICE HOTELS!!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family