“Expensive but nice”

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Saint Joseph
Kansas City, Missouri
“Expensive but nice”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I agree that the rooms are a little pricey for not having a continental breakfast, but this hotel is very clean and the pool area was especially impressive. While not the biggest hotel pool, the lounge area was immaculate and the pool and hot tub are obviously well tended to. The staff was very courteous and I liked that the check out time wasn't until noon. It was quiet at night, and the distant sound of the trains near by was wonderful. We had a top floor room facing the city. I thought it was a beautiful view, but then again I enjoy old looking towns. The breakfast at the restaurant wasn't too expensive and we both enjoyed our meals. I would have given the hotel 5 stars if it was cheaper or included the breakfast. Despite this, I will be staying there again next year because of the pleasant experience and quietness at night!

Room Tip: If you want a top floor room, you have to get the two queen beds instead of just one. We were not to...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
LakeGal2010, General Manager at Radisson St. Joseph, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments. They will be shared with every member of our staff. I sincerely appreciate your taking valuable time to relate your experience.

Chuck Douglas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Hay Springs, Nebraska, United States
Reviewed October 2, 2013

This was a lovely older hotel. It was clean and comfortable and even though we arrived very late we felt safe and secure. Breakfast in the restaurant was good and reasonably priced. The staff were all very helpful and friendly. The river view is compromised by power stations and elevated highways but it is still there.

Room Tip: I would ask for the highest floor for the best view available.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Gorgeous lobby area. Might be nice for conferences and meetings, but for an overnight just passing thru stay, seemed rather expensive for only average guest room. Desk service was slow (must have been busy check in time, as we were 3rd in line of 4, with only one clerk)
Must say restaurant dinner and service were both excellent, and downtown St Joseph is quite nice for evening stroll.

Room Tip: Tricky to maneuver big truck thru freeway entrances/exits ramps. *might want to "google earth&q...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson St. Joseph, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Professor J,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We are so glad you liked the food selections we offer and the fine location of our hotel in the area. We would like to apologize for the service you encountered that fell below your expectations. We also apologize you were not satisfied with the rates. Prices vary depending on the dates and are competitive within the area. We assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Flushing, New York
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I have to say I was a little hesitant to stay here based upon the terrible reviews I read on here from 2012 but I think those may just be disgruntled employees as this was a top notch Holiday Inn property. Check-in smooth and flawless front desk associate very attentive and helpful. The room was super clean, very quiet and most importantly did not smell of floral scented cleaning products.
It was super easy to find the hotel right off of 229S it was literally at the end of the exit ramp. It was also super easy to get back on the highway in the morning.
My only complaint was that upon going out the back lobby into the parking lot an employee was sitting by the door smoking. I understand that employees need a place to smoke but it should not be where patrons of the hotel with cigarette smoke allergies have to pass to and from.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed September 6, 2013

This was a nice place to stay. Right downtown and on the interstate. Friendly staff, clean rooms and comfortable bed. The room was set up nicely for a stay with a king bed and lounging area. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
West Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I found St. Joseph itself to be a confusing town, and the Holiday Inn followed suit. I couldn't tell if the town was in a downward spiral, or if it's on the comeback trail. The area near I-29 seems to be pretty up to date and new, yet there are some good sized strip malls and an indoor mall that sit mostly empty; not sure if the buildings are new and looking for tenants, or if hey have moved on.

This hotel however is on the west side of town near the river. The area it's in is pretty old, rundown, and beat up; we weren't sure if we should feel safe walking around or not. We stayed here for a National softball tournament and picked it because A) the tournament was being run out of it (meetings, bat checks, etc.) and B) you couldn't beat the proximity to the complex (the highway on and off ramps are right behind the hotel) just a 5 min ride away.

The hotel itself has a nice lobby, hallways, meeting rooms, restaurant/bar, pool/hot tub/sauna, but the rooms themselves were the confusing part.

Not sure if they're due to be renovated, or had been and the workmanship was just shotty. Some of the walls were a bit springy if you bumped into them. We figured there might have been a doorway to an adjoining room that had been closed off. The tile work in the bathroom was tough; some grout missing and cracking both on the floor and in the shower/tub. Our toilet ran constantly (we let them know about it) and the microwave was stuck on 29 seconds. Ultimately it worked just fine, like I say, it was just a confusing place, but we would definitely stay there (for a tournament) again.

The staff was great, everyone we dealt with was super nice. The restaurant, while not free/continental, had really good breakfasts that were very reasonable (particularly the special). They had both a buffet and a regular menu to pick from, and on Labor Day they were closed, yet still put out a nice little (free) spread for the guests which was great!

The bar was very good to us as well. We were all in there watching our hometown college team play football vs a much higher touted opponent. Our team ended up upsetting them, and you can imagine how rowdy/loud it was after the game as well as during. They never had a problem with us at all, although if you're spending the kind of money that a softball team can in their bar I doubt there going to say too much!

Overall I would stay here again. Maybe not for a family vacation or a stopover, but for a softball tournament absolutely!

Room Tip: Don't stay here looking for good views. It says riverfront, but the river is hard to make out p...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson St. Joseph, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Kyle A,

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Arroyo Grande, California
Reviewed August 24, 2013

On business again.Needed a hotel halfway between work (Auburn, NE) and Kansas City. This Holiday Inn jumped out to me. The adjacent restaurant seemed like a nice touch as well. I got in late on a Thursday night and was greeted by a very friendly staff. They even had a goodie bag (water and a bunch of carb loaded snacks).

My room was on the 6th floor. Not much of a view, but the intent was nice. Upon entry I found a spacious room with a comfortable king size bed, flat screen TV, mini-fridge, microwave, desk and a couch with coffee table. Plenty of room to move around. Bathroom was also spacious and clean. The closet area was slighthly cramped only because they had stored extra linens (presumably for the hide-a-bed) in this area.

The exercize room was somewhat small, clean, but had decent equipment. They also had an ample supply of cold water in bottles.

Location is acceptable and easy to get to. I didn't see much around other than the civic center. However, Ieft daily at 5am and didn't return until 8pm, so you'll have to explore on your own.

The restaurant is another story. I only had dinner there 1 night. The bar was busy. Restaurant area was not. Was this somthing to be aware of? The online reviews seemed good. The service was decent; however, I can tell you that this was the worst meal I have ever eaten (even the Army was better). Guaranteed I'll not eat there again.

Overall, my stay was good. Just find another restaurant.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
janice_keith, General Manager at Radisson St. Joseph, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for the thorough review. It is very much appreciated and taken to heart. The review of the hotel falls under my domain and any issues noted I assure you will be corrected. The restaurant of the hotel is leased to a third party, unfortunately, the only assistance that I may provide to you is to give the management of the facility a copy of the review. Please feel free to contact me directly and I will provide you with information that will provide you will follow up from their management.