“You won't find better pizza ANYWHERE!”
Review of Il Lazzarone

Il Lazzarone
Ranked #3 of 215 Restaurants in Saint Joseph
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Il Lazzarone is a traditional Neapolitan style pizzeria specializing in simplicity and beauty. Our dough is made with only four ingredients; yeast, flour, water, and salt. Once the dough has been mixed it is left to naturally leaven and then shaped by hand. The dough at il Lazzarone is some of the rarest and most traditional in the world where very few pizzaiolis still carry on the traditions of old. When the dough is ready we top our pizzas with nothing but the freshest and most pure ingredients money can buy. As the pizza is ready to cook we do not veer from the traditional ways, incorporating a fourth generation hand made wood fired oven imported from Naples. Traditional law states a pizza must cook in less than 90 second to produce the signature leapording of the crust, we typically do it in less than 60. At il Lazzarone we are serious about pizza and the traditions that founded what has become nothing but a glimpse of the truth that once existed. We look forward to serving you. "Come to the Table"
Saint Joseph, MO
“You won't find better pizza ANYWHERE!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

I had the opportunity to dine here during the soft opening, and again on opening day. I have to say that I've had pizza from all over the globe, including Naples, Italy, and this is the real thing, here in the Midwest. The crust and the organic ingredients are perfectly arranged for the maximum of culinary delights. They do not have hard liquor, but give a great selection of craft beer and fine wine. The atmosphere is one of a kind in this part of the country. Be patient with the service, as it's obvious they are still working out a few kinks. Be sure to enjoy your pizza on the outdoor patio, which, so I am told, has furniture crafted from a salvaged Missouri River bridge. This is such a surprise for NW Missouri!

1 Thank MichaelBlake1962

Saint Joseph, Missouri
“Foodies will love it!”
Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

I would rate I higher but I still have had better pizza which earned my rare 5 stars. This new dining spot in town is owned by Erik Borger (the main chef). Our waiter was David, very new, very friendly & clean cut. The building is a great re-use of an auto body detail shop. Dining also outside in back. Very casual area but great for a bunch of friends to hang out & gab. The salads look great. The dough & at least most ingredients are organic the waiter said. I go for organic, so I'll go back there for sure. He uses only San Marzano canned tomatoes, a sweet heirloom variety grown in Italy. We got the Margherita pizza and a Ouvo pizza (egg in the center), both had on them fresh mozzarella and the egg pizza had a scattering of skinny rounds of a different sort of chewy sweet salami. Interesting. The tomato sauce is runny, but they said it's supposed to be that way. I had watched the owner put canned tomatoes through a tomato mill to create a smooth, seed-free purée. I mentioned to the waiter I would love a thicker sauce and to have no runny center, but still, it was good in spite of center sogginess. The egg pizza let you dunk the crusts in the runny egg center. Think toast & breakfast egg. Good flavors for all. The crusts were good, varying in places because of how it's baked, so you get some crunchy, some chewy places. Pizzas ran around $14 & $16 each, some more, some less. Size for each was 16" or thereabouts. Pricier than some pizzas, but you might want to try it and see if it's your thing. A good place for a first date or to people watch. The beer selection is good, lots of KC & other microbrewery selections, and Italian sodas & wine. - (ok so I'll whisper here that I love the crust over at Original Pizza. Lino makes the perfect crust, great flavor, awesome garlic tomato pizza with fresh mozzarella.)

1 Thank lilliejl
“True, Traditional, Wood Fired Pizza”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

If you're tired of American chain pizza and are looking for true, traditional Neapolitan pizza, then you need to make a trip to St. Joseph, MO, to Il Lazzarone where they are using one of only 5 of it's type wood fired ovens in the US.

We were fortunate to get to visit during their soft opening on 05/15/2014. Their Grand Opening will be Saturday, May 24, but their serving nightly until their supply of dough runs out! Tonight, 05/16/14, they're serving pizzas made with Roasted Garlic Rosemary Sausage from The Local Pig (Kansas City, Missouri, Custom Butcher Shop)!

The decor is somewhat industrial and table tops are recylcled wine barrel staves. The exposed brick and open kitchen concept make it fun to watch as your appetizers, salads, and pizzas are made. They cook the pizza in 60-90 seconds (yes, I said seconds!) and the dough is made from a 2000 year old starter (mother dough) from Italy. I also noticed that several of the containers holding the ingredients from the vendors were tagged organic.

They have a nice wine and beer list - be warned - no big name domestic brews here - strictly imports and very good microbrews. Be sure to try the Boulevard KC Pils or the Avery Brewing White Rascal as they were our favorites with our selections!

• Visited May 2014