“I live here, and it's the only chinese place I'll eat!”
Review of Hunan Restaurant

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Hunan Restaurant
Ranked #40 of 216 Restaurants in Saint Joseph
Cuisines: Chinese
“I live here, and it's the only chinese place I'll eat!”
Reviewed May 14, 2011

Good food, reasonably priced. And the service is very good too!

st joseph, mo
“Best Chinese in town!”
Reviewed November 21, 2008

Best Chinese in town!

1 Thank VisitStJoMO
Kansas City, Missouri
“Expensive, bland, little variety, more soup than entree”
Reviewed June 4, 2008

It seems that white people cooking Chinese food is usually a bad sign. I've had worse Chinese, and I've had worse here in St. Jo, hence the 2-star rating. However, I would not, by any stretch, call this "Good Chinese".
They do not have Orange Chicken or General Tsao's, so I settled for Empress Chicken. I also got an order of Egg Rolls (2). This cost $13.45 before tip!!!!
It arrived within about 15 minutes- quick enough. The serving was quite large, and the egg rolls were good sized. They weren't anything special, but decently edible. I noticed that the styrofoam container with the entree in it was leaking, and it became obvious why when I opened it up. The chicken, broccoli, carrots, bamboo, and onions were swimming in a blood-red sauce. It looked like someone had been bludgeoned in my foam box.
The sauce didn't really have much flavor- not sweet, not spicy, not anything. The chicken seemed to, however. I am sensitive to MSG to the point that I can taste it. The chicken batter must have had a lot of it in there. Blech. Add that to being heavily breaded and soggy from swimming in blood soup....Not great.
On the plus side, they didn't charge me a delivery fee since I was in a hotel. The person who took my order was friendly, as was the delivery guy.
However, I would probably not order from here again.

1 Thank dsnider2006
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“ok not much into chinese”
Reviewed December 29, 2007

ok not much into chinese

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook