“Super Choice, Super Value”
Review of Cabbage Roll

Cabbage Roll
Ranked #5 of 222 Restaurants in Saint Joseph
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: WE ARE OPENED MON--FRI--11 TO 2 DINNER BUFFET FRIDAY NIGHTS 5 TO 7 RESERVATIONS ARE NEEDED FOR FRIDAY NIGHTS CLOSED SATURDAY & SUNDAY
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stopped for lunch at The Cabbage Roll and are so glad we did. Lunch for two cost less than we would have paid for two of the usual fast food combo meals. Best of all, it tasted so good! We had a combo plate with a Polish sausage, pierogi, and stuffed cabbage plus two sides. Yum! A variety of sandwiches and salads are also offered at very reasonable prices. Lunch was so filling that we had no room left to sample any of the beautiful homemade desserts. Service was friendly and efficient. Take time to look at the knick-knacks, and be sure to mark your hometown with a pushpin on the USA map.

2  Thank Weasel78

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I suspect the real draw to this restaurant is the warm friendly waiter/owner/chefs. The fellows were friendly and interested and clearly wanted you to be happy with your meal. As for the posts mentioning the neighborhood-I thought it was charming and love the neighborhood vibe.

Stopped in St Joe specifically to eat at this restaurant as we like German food. We arrived on a Friday and made reservations for the buffet (as advised...). The buffet had lentil soup (ok), schweinbraten (hmmmmm schwein means pork, right?), pierogies, pork and apples, polish sausage (Polish sausage--thought maybe any wurst), cheezie (their spelling) potatoes, sour kraut (again their spelling).

The Polish sausage was good but not presented well--maybe mixed with the kraut and we could have called it something. The kraut was tasty I will say and the potatoes were real potatoes or tasted like it so it's the same thing, right? Not sure the schweinebraten was in fact schwein. Just okay. Nothing you might shout "ach die lieber" over ;)

There was a big table with lots of desserts, small portioned which I think is a great idea--those folks who want more can take more. Also had ice cream in a cooler that you could help yourself to. It was a little peculiar but what the heck I like quirky.

I think the "German" food is a stretch but then we noticed the menu changes monthly and other Germany dishes are advertised.

2  Thank Sharon E
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Great food in this interesting atmosphere. Definitely a local favorite. Worth checking the weekly specials for a variation on all sorts of cuisine. My favorites are pirogues, chili and cheeseburgers.

4  Thank Djpoll
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

We went on Friday for the buffet and it was obvious they have loyal regulars. I'd recommend reservations. I liked almost everything, but my wife not so much. I liked the meat pie, pierogies, potato salad, even the breast with German mustard. My wife liked the cabbage roll--the one thing I didn't care for. The buffet includes drinks and a desert bar. They have an 8-blend coffee (8 flavors in one pot). She loved that, me not so much!

1  Thank Derrill L
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I'm a local but had never eaten here. Wanted to do something different so, rated #1, it seemed like a good idea. The food was very average. I had a brat or something similar, a bag of chips, and a pickle I think. There was a constant fly buzzing around. Lots of people there, but I didn't see anything special to crow about.

3  Thank ponyexpresstown