“Fresh food, great service, locally owned.”

Gyro Paradise-Mediterranean Grill
Ranked #2 of 214 Restaurants in Saint Joseph
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Welcome to Gyro Paradise-Mediterranean Grill! With America's increasing focus on healthy eating as well as recent news of the benefits of the Mediterranean diet, Gyro Paradise-Mediterranean Grill gives you the power to choose a delicious, flavorful and healthy meal by using only freshest ingredients. Our staff is always happy to share suggestions and help acquaint you with our authentic Mediterranean cuisine. Enjoy our taste of the Mediterranean for a new, healthier dining experience.
Maryville, Missouri, United States
“Fresh food, great service, locally owned.”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I have eaten at Gyro Paradise several times, and have loved it every time. I was very skeptical at first, but the owner, Shuk, helped me find something I was sure to like, he even let me taste for FREE! He has traveled the world, and knows how to make authentic food to fit our midwestern palets. I would reccommend this place to anyone who wants to branch out from heavy, fast food, and encourage them to try this place. Fresh, healthy, and filling! I work at a hotel in town, and have told several guests to visit, and they have all come back very satisfied!

• Visited July 2012
3 Thank Serena E

Kansas City, Missouri
“Best Restaurant in St. Joseph, MO”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

omg!!! omg!!! omg!!!

gyro paradise is one of the best places i've ever eaten. the gyros were phenomenal! very healthy mediterranean delicious food! very fast service and exceptionally friendly atmosphere!!! the prices are unbeatably great! we will certainly be back!

excellent!

• Visited January 2013
4 Thank AlecB1
Springfield, Oregon
“Pure flavors from the Silk Road”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

If you know this cuisine, you will know how good this food is.

The pita are hot, pliable, and plentiful. The tea glass, bottomless. The dolmas, warm, lemony, redolent of the vine. The tzatziki, rich, real, irresistible although dairy is off my list. The hummus, balanced, savory, rich, beautiful. The baba ganouj?

Ah, the baba ganouj.

Once I met a chef from Egypt who mentioned eggplant. "Ah, baba ganouj!" I cried. He looked at me with surprise. "How do _you_ make baba ganouj?" he demanded. "Take an eggplant. Stick it on a fork. Hold it over fire until it's soft and blistered and charred. Scoop out the pulp and mix it with garlic, lemon, salt, olive oil, and tahini. Sumac on top." (He was satisfied then that I knew at least a bit about his cooking.) That ideal baba ganouj was exactly what we got at Gyro Paradise. The unadorned, simple, _perfect_ blend of those ingredients -- well, substitute paprika for sumac. This is a dish I use to gauge restaurants serving this sort of cuisine, and this place makes one of the best I've ever tried.

The gyros are generous, crispy yet moist, amply sauced, with lots of good crisp fresh veggies. The fries are delivered hot, and crisp, and salty, and what more can you ask of a French fry? The gyro salad is a great choice for people (like me) who must not eat gluten, though it comes with pita wedges and I could not resist them.

The kebabs come with a wonderful charred roasted peppers and onions with herbs, and flavorful generous servings of pilaf. The kofta is chewy and moist and spicy and rich with savory spices that came through Tadjikistan and permeated the palate of the owner, who grew up there. This friendly young man has offered us samples of baklava-y Balkanish desserts and drinks on the house; he even offers free iced tea to his customers.

We are so lucky to have this place in St. Joe! Surrounded by predictable corporate "American" food outlets, Gyro Paradise is serving good, flavorful, well-prepared, _fresh_ food from halfway around the world, instead of another damn burger or pizza or feeding-trough buffet.

If you've never had this kind of thing, give it a try. You will love it.

• Visited December 2012
4 Thank effex
Saint Joseph, Missouri
“Decent Variety”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Not bad for a change. Good lunch spot for a gyro and good rice and salad. Quick food preparation and delivery to your table. I hope they do well.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank Cuivre2004
Saint Joseph, Missouri
“Started strong, then changed!”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We visited shortly after they opened. Mary and I love a good gyro and it's always on our 'to-do' list whenever we visit California (we had gyros on our first date). We were very happy with the quality and price of the food. The gyros were served up fresh and hot with plenty of meat and tzatziki sauce. The fries were tasty and crisp, althought the portion seemed a bit on the smallish side. The falafel was very good also.

Then a couple months ago, things changed. The prices went up and the portions went down. The generous gyro from before was now scanty of meat and veggies. The falafel patties shrunk and went from 8 in a serving to 7.

Hope they go back to the way they were so we don't have to go so long between gyro fixes.
If they do we will gladly update our review!

• Visited September 2012