“What a joke.”

Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Saint Joseph
Fremont, Nebraska
“What a joke.”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

This is the first time I have ever been so upset and disgusted by a hotel/ motel that I felt compelled to post a review. I booked a non-smoking room. The door of the room displayed a non-smoking sticker. Upon opening the door to the room, there was an overpowering smell of stale cigarette smoke. I was so surprised, I went back and checked the sticker on the door a second time to confirm there was a non-smoking symbol displayed. As I sit my bag down, imagine my surprise at seeing an ashtray prominently displayed on the nightstand. Figuring it must have been an oversight and was given a former non-smoking room. The desk clerk advised me it was a smoke free room and they are required to place ashtrays in all rooms. Seriously? In what universe? In all my travels, I have NEVER booked a non-smoking room and been greeted by the stench of smoke and an ashtray. Further irony was the cigarette burn marks on the tub edge. The heat/AC unit was covered in a visible layer of dirt and hair. Attempting to make the best of it, I sat on the bed to try and relax, discovered my feet were black and furry with lint and hair from walking about the room. The final revulsion was pulling back the top sheets and blankets and finding 3 long dark hairs on top of the fitted sheet. They certainly did not come from my blonde head. The clerk at the front desk could have cared less. Will certainly NEVER stay there again and fully plan on telling every single person I know about this dump. Seriously, if this is the only hotel/ motel with vacancy, I would sleep in my car next time.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank ddrpent2000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

First I stayed across the street at ramada. It was not a good stay. We had some people on our team that stayed here at motel 6 and were happy.

I switched to motel 6 and saved 70 bucks a night. The room was cleaner and brighter than the other motel. They didn't have breakfast, but with the money I saved my boy and I had a good breakfast and still saved money.

Great little motel. Friendly staff.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank mike50401
Springfield, South Dakota, United States
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just needed a place to sleep en route to New Orleans. The rate was reasonable but we certainly got what we paid for. The bottoms of our feet got dirty from walking barefoot on the floor. The towels were stained and discolored. Our non-smoking room reeked of cigarette smoke. Don't go there!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joyce R

Travelers are raving about these Saint Joseph hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I was attracted to Motel 6 by the advertised price, I should have remembered the adage, ''you get what you pay for''. We paid for two non-smoking queen rooms, on opening the door to the first room it was clear people had been smoking as the smell of smoke was mixed with the air freshener that had failed to either disguise the smoke or freshen the room. On opening the door to the second non smoking room the smell of smoke nearly knocked us off our feet, almost as quickly as the sight of an unmade bed which appeared as if it recently been vacated by one of the town's ladies of lower virtue and her latest john. That was more than enough, we received our money back from the girl at reception, who I must say was very polite and helpful and in no way to blame for our not choosing to stay. The laminated floors and thin sheets in the rooms don't add to the appeal of this place either. This is one mistake I won't be making again

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank plush74
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Not worth it. I am staying in this room right now out of complete obligation because my car is broken down and I can't walky two kids and our things to a different motel at 1am. Not sure if I will be able to sleep.

The comforter has several patches seen on it. The comforter and the sheets are both covered in stains from god knows what. It looks like some of the pillow cases USED to be white. There are tons of hairs between the sheets of varying lengths. The only thing offered in the morning is coffee, and there aren't even any plastic cups in the room for water.

DO NOT stay here.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank srawr
North Carolina
Reviewed December 31, 2013

The Room Smelled Like Excessive Use Of Cleaners....Like They Were Hiding Something. The Smell Was So Strong That It Was Nauseating. Upon Entering, It Seemed Clean and Newly Remodeled, Then We Saw The Stains On The Bed Spread. The Beds Were Very Hard. The Floors Weren't Very Clean And Our Door Didn't Latch Properly. The Shower Was Hot, The Heater Worked Quietly, The Staff Was Very Friendly.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank princesss2tall
Rosebud, Australia
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I felt uneasy about booking into this hotel. I have pretty strong intuition.
Plain and simple..my friend and I both booked a single room each. NON SMOKING.
When I opened my door the stench of smoke slapped me in the face, and to my disgust the bed had not been made.It was about 6.00 pm. This made the whole place seem really grimy and seedy, as if the room had been used for an hour for some "illicit" services.
And to top it off, I had to pay extra for WIFI, and they only offered a cup of coffee in the morning.
So we left this place immediately after getting a total refund.
Of course I remembered why I was feeling fearful about this Motel 6. We stayed in one in Fayetteville Arkansas last year, which had the same awful lino floor and seediness about it.
I do not blame to girl at reception, she was friendly and pleasant. She was really busy and probably not in charge of the cleaning duties, but Never Again Motel 6!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't bother.