“Interesting stop”
Review of Patee House Museum

Patee House Museum
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My son and I stopped here on our way back home from a road trip. This was not a planned stop, but was recommended by some local people we talked to at the restaurant where we ate lunch. We decided to check it out.

The neighborhood surrounding the museum looks a bit rough, but we were able to find a spot right in front of the museum to park. The entrance fee was minimal and we took our time walking through the exhibits. The pony express information was interesting and my son liked walking through the building vignettes. The carousel was beautiful and we enjoyed reading about the animals on it. We also liked the Jesse James information we found.

I would agree with other reviewers that the exhibits did not seem to have a central theme - most appeared to be placed randomly throughout the building. And, I was not impressed with the staff. At one point, I was at the counter buying a magnet and my son went out the front door to wait on the porch. As he left, the rug in the foyer caught on the door and as he was trying to get it out, a man walked over and said, "What are you doing to my rug? That's not a toy - it's for handicapped people!" My son apologized, but the man ignored him and my son left feeling embarrassed.

A good place to spend an hour, but wouldn't recommend planning an entire trip around this museum.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is a must see if you are in the northwestern part of Missouri, St. Joseph in particular. There wonderful memorabilia here from the mid to late 1800s. There is a steam locomotive, a stage coach, and a working vintage corousel inside this historic hotel. Be sure to pick up a scavenger hunt card for any children in your group or even for the adults. They cost 25 cents each. Jesse James house is next door, but charges a seperate admission.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

The Patee House is always my favorite attraction in St.Joseph,Missouri.When you go in you can look at Old Memoribla sports cars,Old trucks,Old Garden Machines,There's an old Train car,in the back there's like an old town that features relpicas of Drugstores,General Stores,Doctor's Offices,Tailorshops,Ice Cream Parlor,etc.I thought this recreated town idea is a neat idea.Also on the ground floor they have this room where all these famous people that came through St.Joseph,Missouri or came through the west or were westerners back in late 1800's.There's also a receration of a saloon there,which you can have a sasprilla there,On the second floor they metion the history of the Patee House.It was first used a Hospital in the civil war,then iit became a hotel,now it's a museum.Close to where that info is they gallery of old operating phone booths and old phones.I forgotten what else they got there but that place is huge.I highly recommed going there it's worth the trip.and I would highly recommend this to anybody that like's history and for kids too..This is like St.Joe's premier attraction.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

There is so much to see in the wonderful museum, make sure you allow plenty of time. We were there about 3 hours and probably would have taken longer if our camera battery wasn't running low. It is definitely worth the time. Spend 25¢ for the "scavenger hunt" scorecard. You may earn a "share" in the Hannibal & St Joseph Railroad. Find the 20 exhibits and locate the item that doesn't belong in the exhibit. Fun for the whole family.

Patee House has two floors of exhibits. Everything from an 1860 train to vintage carousel, western art to antique furniture and toys. There are cars, trucks, wagons, buggies, horse-drawn hearses, a stagecoach, and race car. There is one wing that is designed to look like buildings in "Old St Jo."

Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

What a pleasant surprise! If you're interested in the history of the West, the Patee Museum is a must see. The displays are actual room settings for all the local businesses in St Joe's golden age. Very professionally done and something for all ages. Don't miss this!

1  Thank FishhawkII