“Fun to try, but only for soecial occasions”
Review of Bad Art Bistro

Bad Art Bistro
Ranked #27 of 222 Restaurants in Saint Joseph
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

My family and I had a mixed experience. The atmosphere and food were very good. However, the quality was uneven. For example, the $24 lamb was outstanding and worth every penny. However, the mixed drinks were overrated and grossly overpriced. The bill was also miscalculated, as we were charged $12 for each
small side salad instead of the $6-7 listed in the menu.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

The artwork is wonderful!...what a nice little place. The menu choices are very good.... a little eclectic and fairly broad. I had a fish special of salmon and cod intertwined in a spiral served over mashed potatoes...it was a wow. Others in my party where a little disappointed with the service, but I was pleased! The wait staff was very engaging. Great wine choices. I will try again, it is just not on my radar...my problem not theirs... so I made a reminder in my iphone to purposefully go back again.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

The food is unique for St. Joseph MO. Great flavors and excellent menu items that provide flavors that go well together. The service was slow. We were there for hours. But the food is the best celebratory dinner in town.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Whenever I visit any city whether for business or pleasure, I seek out the local favorite restaurants. This past week, I was in the St. Joseph area on business, staying at a hotel just a few blocks away from the Bad Art Bistro.

Since the online reviews were favorable, I decided to try the Bad Art Bistro. I tried the on-line reservation system, but it bounced. When I called to make a reservation on a Saturday evening, I was told by a pleasant female voice, "Well hun, we should have plenty of room. We're looking forward to seeing you sweetie!" Seemed like an overly friendly bunch. I decided 6:30 was a good time.

After the short walk from my hotel up Edmund Street, I realized that St. Joseph had seen better days. The recent sidewalk renovations were a good sign that the downtown was coming back.

On my arrival, I note the outdoor seating area and quirky facade. Opening the door, the other reviewers and the restaurant web site were spot on. The artwork is weird enough to be interesting. I was quickly greeted by the staff. Kevin seated me, brought the wine/drink list and the menu. I started with a gin & tonic. Nice sized glass, not too much ice, could have had a bit more gin. I also wanted a glass of wine with dinner. It's an eclectic wine list with several nice selections. Too bad the best wines were not available by the glass. However, what they did have was good. I ordered the merlot, but was advised that the malbec was better. Okay, I'll give it a try.

No appetizer ordered, but Kevin tried his best to entice me on the steak tartar. Glad I passed on this as the menu describes it as ground beef. Not sure if was steak or not.

I did order the Cabecou salad along with the Flat Iron Steak, medium rare. The salad arrived quickly. Nice presentation. The greens were crisp, the duck perfectly cooked. There was a little too much of the nut encrusted goat cheese on top, but it sure was good.

My steak arrived a little too quickly after I completed my salad. This seems to be a trend in most restaurants. I suggest you advise your server that you do not want them to rush. In my case, there really was no reason to rush. There were probably 15 people in the place at this point and the 3 servers were easily keeping up.

The steak was served with a small mixed greens salad with a balsamic & oil dressing. A bit too much of it, but good. The steak was large, a good 12 ounces. I'd say 1-1/2" thick. Perfectly cooked, very tender. There was a dollop of Roquefort butter and a sprig of rosemary sticking straight up on top like a green flag. Underneath was some kind of reddish brown sauce. Alas, it didn't really add to the dish. In fact, I had a hard time determining what was in the lackluster sauce. Not sure why just about every restaurant in town adds some kind of sauce to the steaks and throws something on top. Can't you folks just let me taste the meat? Also on the plate was a super sized portion of fries, I mean pommes frites (yes, this weird & quirky menu actually intersperses a bit of French). Being a fried potato kind of guy, I thought this was nirvana.

The malbec arrived. Good nose. Modest legs. Robust tannins, plum-like flavor and a long finish. Pretty typical, but a nice compliment to the steak.

I finished the steak, left a few pieces of the greens and about 1/3 of the fries. Quite satisfied.No room for dessert, but they sure looked good.

The bill? Around $50 w/tip. Will I return? Absolutely!

1  Thank Barisarius
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I'm not going to get into the "this was a great place for such a small town" discussion which is rather condescending, I think. This was a great restaurant for any sized town. The bad art..lights, paintings, salt and pepper shakers..you get the idea...was inspired. The ozo buca was equally inspired as was my hubbies steak tartar prepared tableside.

The restaurant was busy with a very large party which people kept wandering in to join. In spite of this, service was wonderful. Unhurried and helpful. All in all, a fabulous experience!