“Great Place to Host an Event!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Joseph
Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Saint Joseph B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I held Easter brunch here last month because we were having a large amount of family in from out of town and I didn't want to cook. Isobel was great! She prepared an excellent menu, mimosa bar and ambiance. Everyone in my family is still talking about what a memorable experience we had! I will definitely be hosting events here in the future at this superb B&B!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Hosting Easter brunch for this family group was a pleasure! Everyone enjoyed the food and the ambiance here at 809 Hall Street. We love to host weddings, family dinners and luncheons, baby showers, graduation parties - you name it! Call me anytime to plan your event!

Reviewed May 14, 2014

I recently moved into the neighborhood of the Shakespeare B & B, and was walking by snapping photos, when Isobel introduced herself, and asked if I would like a tour. Having owned and operated a B & B myself and being a life-long lover of old houses, I was blown away. The 19th century craftsmanship in this house (no less than 47 stained glass windows) is something I haven't seen anywhere other than the Newport mansions. Guests should consider it an honor to stay in a place like this, and Isobel has made it feel homey rather than like a museum, which it could be.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo

It is so exciting to greet newcomers like my newest neighbor here on Hall Street, people who have discovered the rich history and fabulous architecture here in Saint Joseph! This town is one of America's best-kept secrets for beautiful homes at unbelievably low prices!

Reviewed May 3, 2014

This is the kind of place that anyone that appreciates older homes would be fascinated to visit. My wife had been there before, and from her descriptions, I had to see it for myself. Having spent the past 25 years in and care-taking an older home, I was quite interested to see what Isabel had been able to do with it. Not only is she the owner and gracious inn-keeper, she has also done much of the on-going restoration work herself! Truly and obviously a labor of love. The woodwork. The stained glass. The carved wood dragons flanking the grand staircase are simply marvelous! I think we should have spent a week there, rather than an overnight. We will return.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

The Shakespeare Chateau is a fabulous mansion, and one that tells an important story from American history. I am proud and privileged to have the opportunity to work and live in this fantastic place, and to make it available to guests.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

From the moment we step into the Shakespeare Chateau we were amazed with the rich history of the Inn and Isobel the innkeepers tour of the this Inn. It is so well kept both inside and outside. The breakfast in the morning was delightful too. We would stay at the Inn again for sure!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

The Shakespeare Chateau is a very special place, and I'm so happy that you had a chance to visit and spend an enjoyable stay. Please stop and see me the next time you're in Saint Joseph!

Reviewed April 25, 2014

When you find yourself speechless upon entering the foyer...you know it's incredible. My husband and I are in to architecture and old homes and we've never seen an entrance on such a grand scale as this house. It's over the top amazing. The breakfast was excellent. We ate everything on our plates. The Inn-keeper and owner (Isabel) is a sweetheart. She spent so much time with my inquisitive husband walking him around the house and discussing the old home. We would come back to stay again and would recommend this place to anyone. Rooms are all spacious, private and clean. If you've never had a B&B experience and want your first one to be special....stay here. This sets the bar high for all others.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with me recently, and thanks, too, for posting your review on TripAdvisor. I am always so pleased to meet people who, like you and your husband, are fascinated by history and architecture. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and I certainly hope you'll come back to see me again soon!

Reviewed April 22, 2014

My wife and I wanted to do something nice for our anniversary, but did not want to travel very far. We are from Kansas City and we decided to visit St. Joe. My wife found this place online and booked us for the weekend. Isabel is the caretaker of this amazing place and was very knowledgeable of the house and the Victorian age that it was built. The dozens of stained glass windows are gorgeous. There is amazing architecture everywhere: the floors, the walls & the ceilings. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms had the old skeleton key/lock system. The breakfasts were delicious. We've been looking for a place to go sightseeing with my parents and this will definitely be the place we stay later this year.

St. Joe is a fairly small town and everything is within a few minutes drive. Many restaurants and a couple of museums are even within walking distance.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Thank you for staying at the Shakespeare Chateau, and for posting your review on TripAdvisor. And thank you, too, for commenting on the "Green Features" here at the mansion. We are part of the "Green Leaders" program, and take pride in conserving water and energy, recycling, and using reusable instead of disposable products. And you're absolutely right: adaptive reuse of a building is an environmentally sound choice!

Reviewed April 20, 2014

This was our first stay at a bed & breakfast and we were more than pleased with what we received. Upon arrival, and after lifting my jaw off the floor, we were given a grand tour. Unique, amazing, wondrous, I cannot think of the perfect adjective to describe this trip back into time. Isobel is very personable, extremely knowledgeable and her love for this mansion is unmistakeable. And when you love what you do it radiates through all you do. She has set the bar high for our expectations of other B&B's we might visit. Definitely plan a return trip.

Room Tip: We stayed in "the twelfth night" room and was absolutely lovely, with a fun shower! Looki...