“Lovely setting”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Joseph
Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Saint Joseph B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 25, 2013

When viewing B&B's on websites, one is hoping the home is as picturesque as shown.
It is! The mansion is in restoration process with the supervision and care of its devoted owner Isobel. Put this home on your must stop and stay there list. The room was spacious and well decorated with furnishings reflecting the Shakespeare era.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

The Shakespeare Chateau B&B is truly an unforgettable experience. We offer luxury overnight accommodations, event hosting including weddings and business meetings, and tours of the home by appointment. Thanks for staying, Elizabeth, and for posting your review. I hope you'll return soon!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

When I visit my granddaughter in Kansas, I like to take her away on week-ends and stay in B&B's
The Shakespeare Chateau is marvelous. So many beautiful details.The owner gave us a tour and made us aware of the many treasures in the home. Our room was spacious and
lovely. St Joseph has many fine mansions from the late 1800s to the early 1900s. All kinds of archetecture'
I took advantage of the 40% off room rate because I made the res within 24 hrs of arrival.
good deal!
Highly recommend

Room Tip: we stayed in the 12thNight room which has a fantastic shower. we saw the Romeo & Juliet room...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

My guests span a wide range in every category: geographic origin, profession, interests and hobbies, and of course, age. I find it so delightfully rewarding when young people visit the Shakespeare Chateau. These are the people who will grow up to love and respect our historic architecture. Thank you, Anda, for bringing your granddaughter!

Reviewed October 19, 2013

My sister and I visited St. Joseph in late August to see our family. We were totally thrilled with our visit and stay at Shakespeare Chateau. There is no way to accurately describe the beauty of that old mansion. Every room had its own special character and charming surprises. Isobel is to be commended for taking such great care of us and that spectacular house. We grew up in St. Joseph, but never knew anything about this extraordinary residence that has been lovingly cared for so that others can enjoy entering a world that we can now only read about. For anyone who loves old houses and wishes to experience another time, if only for a few evenings, a stay at Shakespeare Chateau must not be missed. The stained glass windows are stunning.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have their own charming personality.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CLH700
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you for posting your review. I'm always delighted to host folks from St. Joseph who are not familiar with the Hall Street Historic District. The mansions along this street are truly national treasures, and I'm happy to say, they are being better cared for these days! A renaissance is happening right now, and I invite everyone to come up and check it out!

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Having an interest in architecture and visiting St. Joseph many times over 40 years we have developed an appreciation for its many beautiful buildings and homes. Sightseeing in the past nearly always included Hall Street. On a recent visit my wife and I had the unique experience of actually staying 3 nights at the Shakespeare Chateau on Hall Street, learning about its history and meeting Isobel, our most gracious hostess. She has a passion for environmentally sound and quality restoration and for saving St. Joseph's historical buildings. The rooms were large, well appointed with a very comfortable bed and equally important quiet neighborhood. She offers a full breakfast but we were completely satisfied with a gourmet continental breakfast (right out of the oven). This was definitely a highlight of this visit and will be again in our future visits.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Don C
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

It is always such a pleasure to meet folks like Don who have an avid appreciation of history and architecture, and to show them around town. Here in Saint Joseph, Missouri our historic neighborhoods include Hall Street, Museum Hill, Robidoux Hill, Harris-Kemper, and Cathedral Hill - all of which have fabulous residential architecture dating back to the gilded age. Our history is filled with interesting, prominent people like Eugene Field, Walter Cronkite, Jesse James, and many more. Come visit soon and see for yourself!

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Highly recommend experiencing the beautiful and unique Shakespeare Chateau. My husband and I enjoy staying in B&Bs when we travel.This venue was certaining one the top places we have stayed. There is a large amount of history and design to this home that you will not want to miss!

Room Tip: Romeo & Juliet Suite has beautiful stained glass windows that are glowing in the morning.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Thank you for your visit, and for leaving your review. I hear over and over that people found me on TripAdvisor and that they read the reviews posted by guests like you. We strive to make our guests feel welcome, comfortable, and engaged as they experience this American treasure of historic architecture and design.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

My wife and I found the Shakespeare Chateau to be a special place to which we’ll certainly return. The old mansion is beautiful, full of artsy treasures in wood, stained glass, and tile, but uniquely informal and loaded with congeniality! Anyone who appreciates history and/or beauty will enjoy this fascinating place. We spent the night surrounded by the opulent style of the rich and famous of the 1800’s but our room was up-to-date and very comfortable. I have a severe back problem and was concerned about getting a good night’s sleep before traveling the next day. The bed was excellent! We were celebrating our anniversary and wanted some privacy. The room was spacious and quiet. We enjoyed the en suite bath and the shower with many nozzles. In the morning we had a homey and fun breakfast with our hostess. After a good night’s rest and the good breakfast, it was easy to face another long day of travel. If you need a place to get away for a couple of days, a private place that is comfortable and homey yet beautiful and loaded with unique historical context; you’ll find this a great place to stay!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

I love to hear that my guests enjoy the historic interior here at the Shakespeare Chateau, but it's doubly great to know that the amenities I've provided are pleasing - after all, a comfortable bed, pleasant bathing, and delicious breakfast are what make your stay here most enjoyable. I hope you'll return to see me again soon!

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We just stayed at the Shakespeare Chateau Oct. 10, 2013. It was a quick trip to St. Joseph. Enjoyed the Patee Museum and Pony Express. We completed our stay at this beautiful B & B. The house is spectacular. We stayed in the Verona room, very spacious, comfortable king size bed and jacuzzi tub to relax in. Isobel gave us a tour at the beginning of our stay, she is very knowledgeable and enthusiac about her house and city. It is a quiet and relaxing getaway. Recommend it as a unique get away.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Thanks for staying with me, Terry - I enjoyed meeting you and hosting your getaway stay at the Shakespeare Chateau. Many of my guests, like you, come for just one or two nights for a change of pace and a change of scenery. We offer deeply discounted rates for "last minute" reservations, too, which makes the stay very affordable. Check our website for more details and other package deals we are running. Hope to see you again soon!